Hello from Bakersfield, CA

Originally from the coast- moved here 3 yrs ago. Still trying to navigate this weird place and acclimate to these summers. I've grown up with firearms my whole life, but can't stand the stereotypical gun culture. An outdoorsman at heart, and beginner archery enthusiast. Thank you for allowing me to be here!

Current collection: AR 15, Ruger Mini 14, Springfield XD 40, Remington 870 Express.

Re: Hello from Bakersfield, CA

When I came up here to Butte County from the Bay Area, I now have to say it took like five or six years to get used to the weather. Way more extremes. I think in Chico we have similar weather but more cool breweries. And we have the Mother Orange Tree in this county. I've seen it. It's a thing. We have some good shooting ranges as well. So, I hope you feel welcome here. I've played archery a time or two. Fun city.

We will force you to buy moar gunz. Just sayin'.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

featureless wrote:Oh, Bakersfield. I spent some summers there as a kid with grandparents. Having grown up in Fresno, you're a brave sole to be a liberal living in Bakersfield.
I've heard that before. My areas is new and diverse ethnically. We're all middle class poor just trying to hold onto our small piece of "The Dream". I actually work in the oil industry so I guess having different politics is something I've just grown accustomed to. I'm left libertarian (at least thats what I say), so they just assume I'm an SJW that wants to take grandma's social security away or something lol.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

I think most people who've never been to Bakersfield only have one cultural reference to it - the scene in San Andreas where the Rock crashes a helicopter at a mall, and joins in the post-earthquake looting within moments of landing. I mostly remember the afternoon dust storms.

We actually have a subforum for people who like to see feathers sticking out of what they shoot. Terribly out of practice, personally. Miss it terribly. Probably targets at this point, too.

Thats true. Its not like Bakersfield history helps the stigma either. It is heavy Republican due to the industry here (our representative is Kevin McCarthy *ick*) but in the last decade the city has really worked to diversify the economy. Better late than never. Theres a lot more medical going up and hipsters are infiltrating the old abandoned businesses of downtown with micro breweries and such. I like it to be honest. Its like a little Houston in California. Helps me not take my values for granted.
I'm really looking forward to being a part of this community and meeting new people in the future and learn from you all.

wings wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:04 pm I think most people who've never been to Bakersfield only have one cultural reference to it - the scene in San Andreas where the Rock crashes a helicopter at a mall, and joins in the post-earthquake looting within moments of landing. I mostly remember the afternoon dust storms.
Buck, Merle and the Bakersfield Sound

:welcome: Kern County, not as red as it once was but still home to Kevin McCarthy, Republican leader of the US House. Also home of Buck Owen's Crystal Palace music hall and center of California Country, once dubbed Nashville West. That Central Valley haze, agriculturally caused air pollution seems to just settle in that southern end of the Valley. It also has the highest number of cases of Valley Fever, I've known two people who had it.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

HumaKuvula wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:37 pm Huma Kuvula is a character from Hitchhiker's Guide to The Galaxy

having not read HHG, i had to look it up.
i saw it when you first became a member, before you posted. thought it looked foreign, like maybe a spammer from india or sri lanka or wherever.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

lurker wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:37 pm
HumaKuvula wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:37 pm Huma Kuvula is a character from Hitchhiker's Guide to The Galaxy

i saw it when you first became a member, before you posted. thought it looked foreign, like maybe a spammer from india or sri lanka or wherever.
Y'all're culturally starved out there on the East Coast, man. Watch the vid. Pretty the fine example of British humor. Many drinking games surround it. Much writing. Still, a kick.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

HumaKuvula wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:55 pm Really? Most of those spammers say their name is Tim or Debbie when I talk to them.
:rofl:
CDFingers wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:13 pm
lurker wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:37 pm

Y'all're culturally starved out there on the East Coast, man. Watch the vid. Pretty the fine example of British humor. Many drinking games surround it. Much writing. Still, a kick.

CDFingers
Douglas Adams was an underappreciated genius stolen from us long before his time. HHG2G was produced in every single mode of entertainment known to man, and he was deeply involved in every production. Humma Kavula was only a major character in the most recent version, the movie - John Malkovich plays him brilliantly.

The POV gun was the single biggest new plot element, and an understated commentary on the role of arms at large. If war is diplomacy by other means, and diplomacy is the art of negotiation, then a gun that could make your opponent literally see things from your point of view is the quintessential ultimate weapon.

Sort of my basic philosophy. A gun is a gun. Your voice is your weapon.