SIG P226 Legion

So this was my first gun purchased earlier this year. At the time the pickings at my local gun store were extremely limited so I ended up purchasing the P226 Legion out of the available options (about 6 9MM pistols in total including a derringer and a pink gun!).

It's definitely a way better gun than I am shooter and I'm still learning and improving (hopefully).

We live in Las Vegas and the Clark County shooting complex is currently running an introduction to shooting class several days a week. For $29 you get 50 rounds of ammo, a pair of earplugs and a pair of glasses (new and to keep). You also get 50 minutes range time (target included) and a one on one (for your group) with an instructor. My wife and I have been twice and find it to be an excellent place to practice and get advice. The first time we went we were the only people at the entire pistol range, the second there was one other person there.

The last time we were there I emptied about 300 rounds on my target and although I ended up with pretty good grouping my aim needs work.

I was poking around on the Sig sight and found the caliber exchange kit as an available option for the P226 Legion and after deliberating for a while I decided to go for it. It's a little on the pricey side, but I did like the idea of it just being a simple switch out for the existing slide with the Romeo 1 already installed along with suppressor height XRAY3 sights. Hopefully it helps with my old eyes and helps me get on target.
Attachments
P226.jpg
legion-rx-226-final_1.jpg
Target.jpg

Re: SIG P226 Legion

wings wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:48 pm Is that a .22 conversion? I'm guessing from the holes. Not shabby!

Ammo shortages being what they are, range time may be limited in the near future. But you've gotta admit, it's fun when you can get out.
Both are 9MM.

The "conversion" kit with the SIG Romeo 1 mounted is arriving this Wednesday.

The "holes" are from my last trip to the range and thankfully I have about 2000 rounds of 9MM ammo saved up.

I have the Romeo 1 on the P320 RX compact and once you learn it, it's really nice....just make sure you have spare batteries for it because it doesn't use the most common 2032 coin battery. If I remember correctly, it uses the CR1632 instead.

I have the sub-compact conversion kit--it was pricey but sale-priced at 25% off. I don't like it in SC mode, but I thought I should have it (no red dot).

These days, $29 for 50 rounds of 9mm seems cheaper than you can buy it! Plus you get range time, instructor, targets...the ranges I go to, even before the pandemic hording, you'd pay more than that just for a box of 50! Plus range time, plus targets, and maybe renting eye and ear protection!
That sounds like a bargain!
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

highdesert wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:36 am Very nice. The classic P226, one of the Wonder Nines along with the CZ 75, Beretta 92, Glock 17...
S&W 39, 59 and 469. The latter is what the Sig 225 might have been.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

I bought one of these a year or so ago. Loving every round I put through it. I switched to a threaded barrel. I'll be damned that it is metric with a left hand thread pitch. First world problems I know, But had to get a special piston for use with my suppressor. I have been waiting for Sig to release a new slide that was "Optics Ready" ever since. The factory sights aren't tall enough with the can on the front. I wonder though, they are calling it a conversion kit, what other caliber does the P226 Legion come in other than 9mm? Let us/me know when you get your hands on it. I'm sure I'll have questions.
Never confuse knowledge with intelligence.

FlyGuy wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:38 am I bought one of these a year or so ago. Loving every round I put through it. I switched to a threaded barrel. I'll be damned that it is metric with a left hand thread pitch. First world problems I know, But had to get a special piston for use with my suppressor. I have been waiting for Sig to release a new slide that was "Optics Ready" ever since. The factory sights aren't tall enough with the can on the front. I wonder though, they are calling it a conversion kit, what other caliber does the P226 Legion come in other than 9mm? Let us/me know when you get your hands on it. I'm sure I'll have questions.
The caliber exchange kit come with the taller suppressor height sights installed to enabling co-witnessing with the Romeo 1.

You can buy them separately

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/xray3-si ... -tall.html

wings wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:47 am Yeah, when you said caliber conversion kit, I thought you were converting to something different. :)

One of the nice things about shooting .45 - I can see the holes at a distance. Getting harder all the time.
That's the "official" name of the product. I see it's now sold out and when I ordered mine it was saying there were still six in stock. So I guess it's at least a somewhat popular option and obviously I have no idea if the majority of people are using it as I am or to change caliber to 9MM. It's certainly not like people are going to have an easy time acquiring cheap and plentiful 9MM ammo right now.

The kit arrived this morning via Fed Ex.

I took me about 15 minutes to install it which included removing the sight from the slide and installing the shroud kit. I also used my bore sighter to do an initial sighting in.

I also replaced the factory installed flat head grip screws with a set from Hogue which I personally think are so much more aesthetically pleasing and fit the overall look of the pistol so much better.

Hopefully get time to go the indoor range at my local gun store this weekend and give it a tryout.
Attachments
IMG_2043.jpg