AR15 close to medium range scope??

Thinking of getting a scope for my 16" SW AR15. I like to keep the gun lightweight with a M.I. fore end, BUIS, sling, a small scope and not much else.
Two scopes have used on it that are now on other rifles: Leupold VX3 1.5-5x20 (1" tube) (really light weight, really clear glass, wide field of view), and Nikon P223 2-8x35ish (1" tube) (clear, good high magnification, less good low power, a bit heavy, unnecessary target knobs).
Neither is iluminated.

considering Burris 1-6x24 with illuminated reticle. (30mm tube). Options? Alternatives? Seems like it has good magnification range and the 1x with illumination it would be like red dot.

This is a range gun, of course, but also a SHTF gun.
Yet she persisted.

Re: AR15 close to medium range scope??

DavidMS wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:17 am For me, there are three options: Red Dot + Magnifier, a 1-4x like the Steiner P4Xi or a 3x prismatic+red dot. Whats your environment like (local range distance to backstop)? For more practical applications the Red Dot+Magnifier would be my choice.
The state range I use is 100 yards, and I have access to a 200 yard range. This is a suburban environment in northern Ohio, no real hills, somewhat wooded, with a range of weather from 95 degrees to snow storms. I like the idea of the 1-6x because there were times when it's handy to have at the 100 yard range. And it has 1x. That's lower and higher than my Leupold 1.5-5x20, although the Leu. is pretty good too, but I switched to the 2-8x33mm Nikon because I wanted more power.
Yet she persisted.

I had a Vortex 1-4 in my AR. I have recently removed it because a friend gave me an EoTech with the magnifier (yes, there is some story to that). I now have that on my AR. I am still trying to decide if it is what I like. My current plan is to build a full-length AR with wood furniture. If I do, that then the scope will go on that one.
"Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.” Matt. 25:40

Soooo,... nice glass. Not best ever, but good. Haven't mounted it yet.So I don't know if the mount will let the eyepiece clear the BUIS. If not, I've got some risers. No included lens caps, which is really unforgivable considering just a super cheap set of plastic caps would do the jobs. That will be minus 1 star on my Natchez review.
Yet she persisted.

Deep13 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:32 am
ErikO wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:55 am Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6. /thread
Why Vortex over Burris? I've read some critical things about the Vortex concerning glass quality.
You can literally throw your Vortex down the street and they will replace it without question.

And they come with lens caps. :lol:
In a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich the chicken and cow are involved while the pig is committed.

$299 Scope and Mount Sale:

Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8x24mm AR-BDC2 Reticle Rifle Scope & Vortex Sport 30mm 3" Offset Cantilever Mount

If it shows out of stock, wait a day. It has been showing in and out of stock all weekend. Use code VORTEX to get that price
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

I shoot a lot of Service Rifle, shooting at distances of 200, 300 and 600 yards. Several years ago Service Rifle rules were changed to allow scopes up to 4.5 power. I have used several, and do not feel handicapped, at least out to 600 yards on a .223 AR15 with just 4.5X. Some are illuminated, some are not. On the Service Rifle discussion forum website, there is a Primer on picking scopes for such rifles at such ranges. I believe you have to join the forum to see the Primer: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zUPLqU ... x9rry/view

I am currently using a 1.25-4X VXR Leupold, which does have an illuminated dot in the center of the reticle. The clicks on it are hard to feel, and I have not felt the Fire Dot does anything good for me. I used a rebuilt Nikon P223 for a season, with no problems whatsoever. I have used a Vortex Viper PST 1-4X, with no problems (illuminated, but I did not find it helpful). I have a custom Leupold Mark AR 1-4X that I have not gotten around to trying, but will probably work better than the VXR, with more definite clicks.

I have not shot any practical rifle, and a red dot or other illumination might be helpful.

If you're going to shoot any kind of distance with an AR, consider getting a float tube, and a pretty fast twist barrel. With 20" AR barrels in .223, a 1:9" twist barrel sometimes did not want to group well with bullets in the 69 and 75 grain class, and would not stabilize a 80 grain bullet.

Late to the party here, but I roll a Holosun 503G with a Primary Arms 6x magnifier on a QD flip-to-side mount on my 14.5" (16" OAL) 5.56 AR.

https://www.primaryarms.com/holosun-par ... ss-reticle ($227)
https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arm ... fier-gen-2 ($100)

I came to this after taking a number of "fighting rifle" classes that were mostly close range with occasional 100-200yd targets. I started with a red dot and a 3x magnifier on a fixed flip-to-side mount. I didn't like the weight, I wanted more magnification, I didn't like how the 2 MOA dot covered targets, and I wanted some kind of reference for medium range (100-500yd).

The Holosun has a chevron, BDC dots, and a big ring. Because the reticle is projected, there's no parallax but astigmatism will smear it. With the QD, the magnifier comes right off, if you know you're not going long and want to save a pound. I like the modularity -- if I don't like the any of the parts, I can swap them out instead of getting a whole new scope. Apparently, a Green Beret goes magnifier plus red dot for home defense:

https://www.primaryarms.com/blog/Straight-from-SOCOM

Though it's got the chevron, it's not great for tack driving, more like the chevron doesn't cover your target. Otoh it's great for quick shots up close since it's a true 1x with unlimited eye relief and it's got the big ol' ring. I've rung IPSC steel out to a couple hundred yards, though my lack of long range steel nearby has kept me from confirming how the BDC applies to my rifle and ammo, which you should be doing any time you have a BDC optic.

All in, it's a $400 setup. Tbh I sometimes wish I had a nice crisp reticle, but then I remind myself this rig is meant to be light and quick. I'd also like more eye relief on the magnifier, but I can always go back to the old 3x.