Re: Getting through this moment

geno - great story. Doggie was a good looking pup.

This is my second white Boxer. Chance, may he RIP, did the same many years ago, except he weighed about 35 lbs. more than Jake. He went thru window glass, screen and all, killed the cat that was crossing on his caged in front porch. Fortunately, no dog damage then, either. I replaced both panes in that window with tempered glass. Plan on same with bedroom window. Did get a price from one company today - two tempered glass panes installed - $380 + tax these are 15" x 22.5" single panes . Think I may just have some panes cut to size and install myself or just buy another complete window with double pane if I can find one with tempered glass. Or maybe just leave the window boarded up and let my heirs worry about it! LOL
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Wino wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:26 pm geno - great story. Doggie was a good looking pup.

This is my second white Boxer. Chance, may he RIP, did the same many years ago, except he weighed about 35 lbs. more than Jake. He went thru window glass, screen and all, killed the cat that was crossing on his caged in front porch. Fortunately, no dog damage then, either. I replaced both panes in that window with tempered glass. Plan on same with bedroom window. Did get a price from one company today - two tempered glass panes installed - $380 + tax these are 15" x 22.5" single panes . Think I may just have some panes cut to size and install myself or just buy another complete window with double pane if I can find one with tempered glass. Or maybe just leave the window boarded up and let my heirs worry about it! LOL
Not sure what type of window you have but double strength ( double thickness) might well be enough. I my case the window was a wooden double hung and I believe I fastened the plastic to the wooden sash with six or eight #6- 3/4" wood screws after replacing with the double strength glass. I'm not a big fan of tempered, which might as well have been called temperamental glass, I was once moving a piece 32'x 70", quite the rush to be holding about eighty lbs. of glass one moment and air the next. :oops2:
"it's a goddamn impossible way of life"
"And so it goes"

Wino wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:26 pm geno - great story. Doggie was a good looking pup.

Cast Iron indoor window bars are another option.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

The days of miracle and wonder: watched an archeology video about frozen Ice Age mammals like cave lion cubs, then clicked over to watch live another StarLink satellite cluster launch, first stage landing smoothly on a ship in the ocean again. I type and someone on the East Coast reads it. Carbon fiber button and carpet thread. Walking down the frozen food aisle and the lights turn on as you walk then turn off when you go by. Coffee from Ecuador.

Dang.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

sig230 wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:48 pm...................................................Cast Iron indoor window bars are another option.
No iron bars on my windows. Have personally known two people that died in home fires they could not escape from because of burglar bars on windows.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

CDFingers wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:21 am The days of miracle and wonder: watched an archeology video about frozen Ice Age mammals like cave lion cubs, then clicked over to watch live another StarLink satellite cluster launch, first stage landing smoothly on a ship in the ocean again. I type and someone on the East Coast reads it. Carbon fiber button and carpet thread. Walking down the frozen food aisle and the lights turn on as you walk then turn off when you go by. Coffee from Ecuador.

Dang.

CDFingers
Sure beats back in the day, when you had to carry your own torches through the frozen cave lion aisle, while the dire wolves howled in the shadows.

Wino wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:27 am
sig230 wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:48 pm...................................................Cast Iron indoor window bars are another option.
No iron bars on my windows. Have personally known two people that died in home fires they could not escape from because of burglar bars on windows.
Interior ones can be quick removal and still keep pets from trying to go through the glass.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

lurker wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:00 pm i just suggested to another member in a different time zone that we needed to unwind together over a brew of our choice, so at 8pm eastern time (that's 7 for him) i'm going to pop open a woodchuck hard cider and relax. y'all are welcome to join us. :beer2:
I'll join ya. But I'll probably start a bit earlier. 2.5" round Ice ball in Old Fashioned size glass - 3-4 oz. Rebecca Creek Texas Ranger 1823 Blended Whiskey. I really need an unwind!! :yikes:

Received my latest order from Lodge cast iron - a two piece combo unit - a shallow Dutch Oven with lid that is also a shallow frying pan. Plan on using to make sourdough rounds. Also a Lodge 15" Pizza plate (damned heavy) that will also do as a grill or round breads. Spent day washing, drying and oiling prepping for first use. But for tomorrow, doing a sponge tonight for making sourdough baguettes tomorrow promised for a neighbors Mom who is recouping from hip surgery yesterday.

Wino wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:34 pm Received my latest order from Lodge cast iron - a two piece combo unit - a shallow Dutch Oven with lid that is also a shallow frying pan. Plan on using to make sourdough rounds. Also a Lodge 15" Pizza plate (damned heavy) that will also do as a grill or round breads. Spent day washing, drying and oiling prepping for first use. But for tomorrow, doing a sponge tonight for making sourdough baguettes tomorrow promised for a neighbors Mom who is recouping from hip surgery yesterday.
The last thing I need is more cast iron. That said, pics?

Wino wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:21 pm
lurker wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:00 pm i just suggested to another member in a different time zone that we needed to unwind together over a brew of our choice, so at 8pm eastern time (that's 7 for him) i'm going to pop open a woodchuck hard cider and relax. y'all are welcome to join us. :beer2:
I'll join ya. But I'll probably start a bit earlier. 2.5" round Ice ball in Old Fashioned size glass - 3-4 oz. Rebecca Creek Texas Ranger 1823 Blended Whiskey. I really need an unwind!! :yikes:
Popped a Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA a few minutes ago. In California it's always beer o'clock.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

wooglin wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:44 pm
Wino wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:34 pm Received my latest order from Lodge cast iron - a two piece combo unit - a shallow Dutch Oven with lid that is also a shallow frying pan. Plan on using to make sourdough rounds. Also a Lodge 15" Pizza plate (damned heavy) that will also do as a grill or round breads. Spent day washing, drying and oiling prepping for first use. But for tomorrow, doing a sponge tonight for making sourdough baguettes tomorrow promised for a neighbors Mom who is recouping from hip surgery yesterday.
The last thing I need is more cast iron. That said, pics?
Guessing I've got about 150-200 Lbs of CI. Best loaf pans ever - better than my SS loaf pans and makes better looking bread.
Lodge Combo_Pizza Pan.jpg
The Dutch Oven portion of combo unit is about 1/3 the weight of lid/skillet which surprised me - total about 12 lbs.. The pizza plate is about 10 or so lbs. approx. 5/16" thickness.

lurker wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:26 pm no harm in that.
if it works out maybe we should consider making it a regular thing, at least until the election.
Lurker & Guest:

Salud!!

Just settled down.

if it works out maybe we should consider making it a regular thing, at least until the election.
Best plan I've heard all year, short of legally removing every elected and appointed official from the executive branch post-haste.

Started without ya on the cider. On to the whisky - a very nice Nikka.

wings wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:57 pm
Best plan I've heard all year, short of legally removing every elected and appointed official from the executive branch post-haste.

Started without ya on the cider. On to the whisky - a very nice Nikka.
Yes. This does sounds like the best plan yet! To y’all’s health!

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.