Re: Getting through this moment

YankeeTarheel wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:56 am That's because they are owned by the UAE.
And Man City is owned by, I believe, the Saudis.
Arsenal is owned by American Stan Kroenke who is married to one of the Wal-Mart heiresses. He owns the LA Rams, Denver Nuggets.... Emirates has a sponsorship deal with Arsenal. You're right Manchester City or Man City does have Abu Dhabi/UAE ownership. And Man City owners have a major stake in the New York City Football Club (American soccer). The Liverpool Football Club is owned by American John Henry who owns the Boston Red Sox, Boston Globe...
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:16 pm
YankeeTarheel wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:56 am That's because they are owned by the UAE.
And Man City is owned by, I believe, the Saudis.
Arsenal is owned by American Stan Kroenke who is married to one of the Wal-Mart heiresses. He owns the LA Rams, Denver Nuggets.... Emirates has a sponsorship deal with Arsenal. You're right Manchester City or Man City does have Abu Dhabi/UAE ownership. And Man City owners have a major stake in the New York City Football Club (American soccer). The Liverpool Football Club is owned by American John Henry who owns the Boston Red Sox, Boston Globe...
I can't keep that shit straight. Do have some dear friends in Manchester. He's a life-long Man City fan, all the lean years when Man U got all the attention before the ME oil money came in and rebuilt Man City. Kinda of like Mets or Detroit Lions fans.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

It appears that this week, maybe even today, is peak leaf color. It's the ginkos go last around here, painfully golden against blustery skies of grey and blue. Almost have to wear shades to look on them but you want to get all the overtones of gold and yellow and hints of lime green. The sugar maples shine crimson and scarlet on one side and grey on the other and lawns are bathed in those scales that shimmer in the wind. Every orange but that one screams from half a dozen different bushes and trees. The huge sycamore and cottonwood leaves and the tiny elm leaves all chasing one another along the street before the oncoming storm. Geese howl from twenty yards above. Dang. Love this season.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Fall lingered late here, but not that late. We had our first sleet of the season today. Most leaves have been down for weeks. Went hiking with the fandam at peak, a couple weeks before the election. It was magnificent, except for all the political foliage.

I want to get out to the range one more time before the end of the season. I've got 'til Sunday.

My wife and I go on morning 3-4 mile hikes with our dog, I go flyfishing for trout (alone) once a week or so, maybe a short afternoon nap, play some guitar or piano (I was a working musician until Covid shut everything down), eat, and sleep. Can't go shooting at the range very often due to the ammo shortage.
Been quarantined since March with only trips to the grocery store. Aaack.

Flip wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:11 pm My wife and I go on morning 3-4 mile hikes with our dog, I go flyfishing for trout (alone) once a week or so, maybe a short afternoon nap, play some guitar or piano (I was a working musician until Covid shut everything down), eat, and sleep. Can't go shooting at the range very often due to the ammo shortage.
Been quarantined since March with only trips to the grocery store. Aaack.
Yeah, our life is a variation on that. We have Instacart so I'll go to CVS or Walgreens and very rarely the bank or to refill propane. I'll go bicycling, our 15 year old loves to run--or bicycle. And then it's find things to do---and there is a lot.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Enjoying life. Technically I still have a job, just no guaranteed hours. Went from full time to hourly part time employee. LoL. Check my e-mails in the morning, work in the garage and feed my geriatric cats! :love: :love: Hand feeding in bed! :love:

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.
Attachments
419F5E59-E028-4BE0-BB02-200C1D3128F1.jpeg

"i'm going out to play in the shed". "ok, dear, have fun." ahhhh, domestic tranquility.
sometimes the shed means some bit of woodworking, or reloading, or just neatening rearranging stuff. lately it's working on the canvasback, today i moved the pulley/hangything for the kayak 6 inches up and 3 to the left. tomorrow i'll work on the canvasback and move the overhead LED fixture. just trying to stay active, get off the internet for a while.
LUGO2334 - Copy.JPG
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

lurker wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:47 pm "i'm going out to play in the shed". "ok, dear, have fun." ahhhh, domestic tranquility.
sometimes the shed means some bit of woodworking, or reloading, or just neatening rearranging stuff. lately it's working on the canvasback, today i moved the pulley/hangything for the kayak 6 inches up and 3 to the left. tomorrow i'll work on the canvasback and move the overhead LED fixture. just trying to stay active, get off the internet for a while.
LUGO2334 - Copy.JPG
Looking good out! What’s the temperature?

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

lurker wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:10 pm
CDFingers wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:10 pm nice moon.

CDFingers
:roflmao: i mooned cdf! :roflmao:
for some reason i'm really feeling the cold right now. i can't imagine what it must have been like on the eastern front in 42 or the mountains of korea in 51.
I hear the Soviets didn’t like the winter of 39-40 either.

Today, for the first time, I successfully laced up a bicycle wheel. I had found a 70's era Concord 10 speed put out in the trash (I have a pic on the bike thread). But in my 65 years I had never laced up the spokes on a wheel on either a bicycle or a motorcycle (spokes on mo'cycles are out of date).

The front wheel was damaged but the spokes and beautiful old wide-flange hub were still in good shape. I took on building up the wheel with a new 27" Weinman rim. Took me four tries and a couple of vids to finally get it right. I'm thinking of converting it to a rear-hub E-drive. I know this should be in the bike thread but.....

It's how I'm getting through this moment. Fun projects. More fun than replacing flapper valves on commodes and other plumbing and electrical chores.

Dang, that looks good!

Making pulled pork this morning from yesterdays 12 hour smoked Boston Butt to make breakfast tacos. Got me wondering how it would be on a pizza. May give it a shot before this long weekend over.

The mix for tacos - pork, serrano, green onion, salt & pepper, sauteed in butter, packed onto flour tortilla with a large dollop of homemade guacamole.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

I LOVVVEEE Pulled Pork! When I lived in North Carolina, there was nothing like a pig-picking! That would be great on pizza!

I'm getting closer and closer to a perfect NY/NJ pizza. All the frozen pizzas I've ever tried had too little sauce and too much cheese, and not enough basil and oregano. I like the cheese but it needs the sauce and herbs to balance it. And, as much as I love a good, sharp Cheddar, it has no business on a pizza!

I've found my pizza stone to be a huge PITA and a disappointment. Instead, I'm using parchment paper sprinkled with corn meal between the pizza and a large, flat edgeless cooking sheet on the lowest rack, using convection bake at 525° The big bamboo peel, though it GREAT for getting it in and out of the oven.

Over this coming weekend, I'm going to be using the extra Sweet Italian Turkey Sausage either with or instead of the pepperoni. Not yet making my own sauce but that's no big deal--been making red sauces since I was a teen. It's the dough and the forming it that's the tough part.

Sponge working overnight for sourdough waffles Thanksgiving morning along with bacon and spicy patty sausage to start the days gorging.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.