Another mass shooting on the day Biden rolls out gun control measures

The gunman who killed five people including a prominent doctor in South Carolina was former NFL player Phillip Adams, who killed himself early Thursday, according to a source who was briefed on the investigation.

The source, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he wasn’t authorized to speak publicly, said Adams’ parents live near the doctor’s home in Rock Hill, and that he had been treated by the doctor. The source said Adams killed himself after midnight with a .45-caliber weapon. The York County Sheriff’s Office said they had searched for hours before finding the suspect in a nearby home.

Adams, 33, played in 78 NFL games over five seasons for six teams. A safety and special teams player from South Carolina State, he joined the 49ers in 2010 as a seventh-round draft pick. Rarely a starter, Adams also was with New England, Seattle, Atlanta, Oakland and the New York Jets, finishing his career with the Falcons in 2015.

As a rookie late in the 2010 season, Adams suffered a severe ankle injury that required surgery that included several screws being inserted into the leg. He never played for the 49ers again, getting released just before the 2011 season began and signing with New England. Only in 2013 with the Raiders was he on a roster for a full season.

Dr. Robert Lesslie, 70, and his wife, Barbara Lesslie, 69, were pronounced dead at the scene along with grandchildren Adah Lesslie, 9, and Noah Lesslie, 5, the York County coroner’s office said. A man who had been working at the home, James Lewis, 38, from Gaston, was found shot to death outside, and a sixth person was hospitalized with “serious gunshot wounds,” York County Sheriff’s Office’s spokesperson Trent Faris said.

Faris said early Thursday that deputies were called around 4:45 p.m. Wednesday to the Lesslies’ home, and spent hours searching for the suspect before finding him in a nearby home. “We have found the person we believe is responsible and we are with him at this time and that’s all I can say about the suspect,” Faris said, adding that they had no reason to believe anyone else was involved. “We are currently at his house and we are serving a search warrant.”

Later Thursday, a few sheriff’s deputies were posted near the Lesslie home, which is far beyond an arched stone gate, up a long paved driveway and not visible from the road. The Adams home, roughly a mile down the road, is a modest, one-story brick house with several cars in the driveway.

Lesslie had worked for decades as an emergency room doctor in Rock Hill, board-certified in both emergency medicine and occupational medicine and serving as emergency department medical director for nearly 15 years at Rock Hill General Hospital, according to his website. He founded two urgent care centers in the area and wrote a weekly medical column for The Charlotte Observer. He also wrote a book, “Angels in the ER,” collecting what he termed “inspiring true stories” from his time in the emergency department.

“I know without a doubt that life is fragile,” Lesslie wrote, according to an excerpt. “I have come to understand that humility may be the greatest virtue. And I am convinced we need to take the time to say the things we deeply feel to the people we deeply care about.”

Faris said Lesslie was very well known in the Rock Hill community. “Dr. Lesslie was my doctor growing up,” Faris said. “Dr. Lesslie has been one of those people that everybody knows. He started Riverview Medical Center in Rock Hill and it’s been a staple in Rock Hill for years.” A biography page said he and his wife raised four children, and that Lesslie received his degree at the Medical University of South Carolina.

Rock Hill is a city in northernmost South Carolina about 25 miles (40 kilometers) southwest of Charlotte, North Carolina.
https://ktla.com/news/nationworld/nfl-p ... ap-source/
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Re: Another mass shooting on the day Biden rolls out gun control measures

CDFingers wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:04 pm Another argument for treatment over gun control. Still, we have to await details to make the claim strongly.

CDFingers
Shouldn't 'treatment' be part of 'gun control'? As in, and I don't have any 'answers', but LOTS of guns in the US..undoubtedly many in the hands of people who 'probably' shouldn't have one. In the last 5 'mass shootings' in the last what, 3 weeks(?), weren't all the shooters 'law abiding citizens', who obtained their guns 'legally'?

A Mass Shooting is pretty much the definition of 'insane'...were there no warning signs?(I'll bet there were)....Yes, yes, I don't have any idea as to how and who would make that determination as to who should have a gun and who should not..BUT, I don't think 28(more?) dead in the last weeks should be the acceptable 'price we pay' for the 2A.

BUT, the toothpaste is outta the tube. Nobody really knows who has what, gun wise. The police, even those with GOOD intentions, still can't be everywhere all the time.

So..what to do?
Train, carry, protect me and mine...is what I do...

IMHO and all that...

highdesert wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:40 pm It is unrelated, but the anti-gunners will use it to fan the flames of gun control. The perp was an ex-NFL player, an occupation known for concussions that can result in TBI, CTE...
My thoughts- 5 years NFL, plus college and high school football, a lot of blows to the head. Combined with his other injuries, possible issues caused by pain medications...

Can't leave out Texas.
At least 1 dead after multiple people shot in Bryan, Texas

Bryan police are investigating the shootings of seven people, including a law enforcement officer, that started at Kent Moore Cabinets, where officials said someone opened fire Thursday afternoon, killing one person and injuring five others.

The Texas Department of Public Safety also said on Twitter that a DPS trooper was shot attempting to arrest the suspect in the shooting.

Late Thursday night, the Bryan Police Department identified the suspect as Larry Bollin, a 27-year-old from Grimes County.

According to police, Bollin fled after shooting the DPS trooper and was later arrested by Texas Highway Patrol in Grimes County. The officer who was shot was taken to St. Joseph Health Regional hospital in Bryan where he underwent surgery and was in stable condition late Thursday, according to DPS Lt. Craig Cummings. DPS would not release the trooper's name.

One person shot at Kent Moore died and four others shot there were taken to the hospital in critical condition, according to Bryan police chief Eric Buske. A sixth person was shot but did not sustain critical injuries. Another person was taken to the hospital with asthma-related issues.

Buske said the shooter is an employee of the cabinet business. Bollin has been arrested on a murder charged and is held at Brazos County Jail on $1 million bond.

There have been three mass shootings, generally defined as a shooting in which at least three people die, in America in less than a month, according to Mother Jones. Texas has experienced seven mass shootings since 2010.

Bryan police did not release information on a possible motive or how the shooter obtained a firearm.

Amelia Rodriguez, an employee interviewed on KBTX, said she heard a loud noise and thought it was a broken machine until a coworker grabbed her arm and told her to run.

Rodriguez said as she and her coworkers tried to run outside, they realized the shooter was already outside. She stayed inside with a small group and hid.

Thursday’s shooting happened hours after Democratic President Joe Biden announced a slate of new gun control measures. The actions come after multiple mass shootings across the country in recent weeks, including a shooting at multiple massage parlors in Atlanta and a mass shooting that left 10 people dead at a grocery in Boulder, Colorado.

Biden directed the Department of Justice to create new rules that curb the proliferation of ghost guns, which are difficult to trace, and arm braces for pistols. He also told the department to write model red-flag legislation ,which allows a court to temporarily bar someone from accessing a gun in certain circumstances.

Republican Texas Gov. Greg Abbott criticized Biden over the measures, hours before the shootings in Bryan. Texas Republicans, who control state government, have long taken pride in the state’s reputation as a bastion for gun ownership.

"Biden is threatening our 2nd Amendment rights,” Abbott tweeted. “He just announced a new liberal power grab to take away our guns. We will NOT allow this in TX. It's time to get legislation making TX a 2nd Amendment Sanctuary State passed and to my desk for signing."

Texas Democratic Party Chair Gilbert Hinojosa released a statement Thursday evening criticizing the governor for his comments and demanded "common-sense gun reform."

"Governor Abbott, when you open the door to gun violence, this is not a sanctuary for anyone," Hinojosa said. "We demand action."

Abbott’s office did not immediately respond to a request for comment on his earlier tweet, but issued a statement saying he and his wife are praying for the victims.

"I have been working closely with the Texas Department of Public Safety and the Texas Rangers as they assist local law enforcement on a swift response to this criminal act," Abbott said in a statement released by his office. "Their efforts led to the arrest of the shooting suspect. The state will assist in any way needed to help prosecute the suspect."

Slightly more than half of Texas registered voters in a 2019 University of Texas/Texas Tribune poll said gun control laws should be stricter. A strong majority supported requiring background checks for all gun purchases, and most backed temporarily taking guns away from people deemed dangerous to themselves and others.
https://www.texastribune.org/2021/04/08 ... -shooting/

As for Gun Control, maybe we should restrict gun ownership from those Trump supports as the are definitely too mentally unstable as shown by their actins to own a firearm. :sarcasm:
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

6th victim dies following South Carolina shooting rampage
A sixth person has died following a deadly shooting rampage in South Carolina perpetrated by a former pro football player who later took his own life.

Robert Shook was a father of three whose loved ones described as a hard worker who always put his children first.
sbɐɯ ʎʇıɔɐdɐɔ pɹɐpuɐʇs ɟo ןןnɟ ǝɟɐs
ɯɯ6 bdd ɹǝɥʇןɐʍ
13ʞ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ 1ɐ4ɯ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- ɯoɔos0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ ʇuǝɯǝɔɹoɟuǝ ʍɐן sʇןoɔ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- 0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
(béɟ) 59-pɯɐ

AlterCocker wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:19 pm
highdesert wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:40 pm It is unrelated, but the anti-gunners will use it to fan the flames of gun control. The perp was an ex-NFL player, an occupation known for concussions that can result in TBI, CTE...
My thoughts - 5 years NFL, plus college and high school football, a lot of blows to the head. Combined with his other injuries, possible issues caused by pain medications...

From DM's link above about the perp Phillip Adams.
Later, with the Raiders, he had two concussions over three games in 2012. His brain is now being examined for possible degenerative disease that has been shown to cause violent mood swings and other cognitive disorders in some athletes and members of the military.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:41 pm
AlterCocker wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:19 pm
My thoughts - 5 years NFL, plus college and high school football, a lot of blows to the head. Combined with his other injuries, possible issues caused by pain medications...

From DM's link above about the perp Phillip Adams.
Later, with the Raiders, he had two concussions over three games in 2012. His brain is now being examined for possible degenerative disease that has been shown to cause violent mood swings and other cognitive disorders in some athletes and members of the military.
Sounds like he was a journeyman player, not a superstar--still, 5 years in the NFL is one year over the average of 4, so he had to be decent. But even some of the greatest, like Mercury Morris, O.J. Simpson and Laurence Taylor have ended up in prison, unable to live by society's laws.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."