Re: Hankerin'

I bought the 357 lever gun for hunting. Was thinking 30-30, but hilly and woodsy where I hunt so no long shots. Everything I read was that inside 100 yards 357 mag is plenty for white tail, and that's a typical shot here. I had one shot opportunity last year (my first deer season) and got a large doe at 80-90 yards.

Regarding snakes, I have a Heritage Rough Rider with 22lr snake/rat shot. I patterned it once and it's not super impressive. Probably just have to be super close. It has a 22 mag cylinder so I got some 22 mag shot cartridges--we'll see how that goes. It's a cheap little revolver, but also unfortunately gets used with 22 shorts for dispatching sick animals. It would probably be the right thing to carry while deer hunting for a mercy shot, but I think having a rimfire on you while deer hunting can be problematic legally, so I haven't.

Now that I think about it, featureless, I think you really need a Bond Arms Snake Slayer IV in .410 bore to go with your Henry. Enabler mode re-engaged.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/895473417

This looks like a great way to dispatch a snake and ruin your carpal bones at the same time. Nothing says ouch like a shotgun shell fired out of a derringer.

featureless wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:28 pm Awesome stuff, Cooper. I'm not looking to make a business out if it, just hoping for some critters to keep brush down, fertilize and maybe put in the freezer. Question: do you put them up at night?
We leave them out in the pasture with the llamas. They are fenced in. We have run-in shelters for them (little 3-sided structures). In summer, they are not much work at all, just eyeball them periodically to make sure they look okay and have enough water, pasture, and mineral. Winter is more work because you have to hay them.

We can only count on pasture for about 5 maybe 6 months a year. Are you someplace warmer than Wisconsin? If so, you'll have more pasture time, which is good.

Super helpful to find some knowledgeable folks near you if possible. I've found actual farmers to be super friendly and helpful. Of course if you're near SW Wisconsin or life brings you this way, let me know and we'll certainly show you around our little piece of heaven. If nothing else, I'll tell you all the mistakes I made so you'll only make half as many! LOL. That's been how we look at it--just push forward and learn from our mistakes.

wooglin wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:52 pm
cooper wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:21 pm General rule on our farm is no intact males of any species--too much work.
Nothing to add. I just thought this was worth capturing for posterity.
Heh heh. Yeah, odd choice of words on my part. And yeah, that includes the only adult primate male that lives there.

Not anywhere close to Wisconsin. Northern California. But it rains here in the winter, so probably more hay in late summer and fall until the grass grows again.

I'll keep the intact male thing in mind. :)

And no thanks on the derringer. Believe it or not, a square point shovel works wonders on separating snake bodies from snake heads. Looks one hell of a lot less cool, though!

My experience with western diamondbacks has always been, leave 'em be, they'll leave you be. Live and let live. Never had one do more than say hello. Never had to have that conversation with any of the other venomous snakes of North America, so I'm agnostic on the notion of a snake gun. Mountain lions, different story. Beautiful creatures, worthy of respect, but I'd hit the LGS tomorrow if I saw sign of one on my property.

cooper wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:36 pm
This looks like a great way to dispatch a snake and ruin your carpal bones at the same time. Nothing says ouch like a shotgun shell fired out of a derringer.
:w00t:

We have Llama farms here in Northern NJ. We used to live about 4 or 5 miles from one, when we lived on what passes for a mountain here.

When I was a kid, my next door neighbor killed a snake with a hoe. It looked like a copperhead but was yellow (?). It had swallowed a little toad who was still alive and the neighbor carried him to one of his gardens. That's well over 50 years ago.

As interesting and exciting as the Henry looks, I'm done on guns. 4 handguns, four rifles...the latest one, the 9th, is a handgun for my son and is at my FFL, waiting on the N.I.C.S. turnaround, now a full week.
A Sig P320 full size, with the flat trigger, but the 2 17-round mags have to be modified to only hold 10. (the seller on Gunbroker fucked up--it was supposed to have 10 round mags...cost me $10/mag.
Tangentially, I applied for 2 pistol purchase permits in mid-October, took 4 months to get the permits, then almost a month to get the first, and this is now the 2nd--6 months to buy 2 handguns.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

featureless wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:01 pm And no thanks on the derringer. Believe it or not, a square point shovel works wonders on separating snake bodies from snake heads. Looks one hell of a lot less cool, though!
Visiting a friend one day, his house was close to a national forest. His neighbor yelled across the street that he killed a large rattler with a shovel, then he held it up by the tail after cutting off the head it was a big one.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

This board is terrible. I ended up just picking one up as hankerin's are contagious and I have space for exactly *one* more gun in my safe. Big Boy carbine (16.5" barrel) chambered in 357, walnut stock with brass finish...should be at the FFL late this week or early next week.

highdesert wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:18 am
featureless wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:01 pm And no thanks on the derringer. Believe it or not, a square point shovel works wonders on separating snake bodies from snake heads. Looks one hell of a lot less cool, though!
Visiting a friend one day, his house was close to a national forest. His neighbor yelled across the street that he killed a large rattler with a shovel, then he held it up by the tail after cutting off the head it was a big one.
Yeah, I believe the shovel is probably more effective. Maybe cooler in a "I don't need no stinking gun" kind of way. Reminds me of the bear defense thread elsewhere. Yeah, the bear spray is probably the best option, but that doesn't mean you don't also want a Ruger Alaskan in a chest rig just to look good while you spray the bear. Even better, set that bad boy up in a weak-sided draw so you can wave the revolver around in your non-dominant hand while you take care of the bear with the spray. Everybody--including the bear--lives another day, and you re-holster without wasting ammo. All while looking badass.

keenanmj85 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:36 am This board is terrible. I ended up just picking one up as hankerin's are contagious and I have space for exactly *one* more gun in my safe. Big Boy carbine (16.5" barrel) chambered in 357, walnut stock with brass finish...should be at the FFL late this week or early next week.
Oh yeah!

:clap:

My enabler mode loves this thread; I can't disengage it. Do you have a 357 matching revolver for that carbine? I didn't have one to match mine until a "friend" pointed out my oversight--I rectified this problem with a Ruger Blackhawk. Probably lots of other opinions here on how 357 revolvers.

cooper wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:51 am
keenanmj85 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:36 am This board is terrible. I ended up just picking one up as hankerin's are contagious and I have space for exactly *one* more gun in my safe. Big Boy carbine (16.5" barrel) chambered in 357, walnut stock with brass finish...should be at the FFL late this week or early next week.
Oh yeah!

:clap:

My enabler mode loves this thread; I can't disengage it. Do you have a 357 matching revolver for that carbine? I didn't have one to match mine until a "friend" pointed out my oversight--I rectified this problem with a Ruger Blackhawk. Probably lots of other opinions here on how 357 revolvers.
I do, which is actually the only reason I pulled the trigger in this ammo environment. I recently acquired my first snubbie in 357 and was able to score a bunch of ammo through local trading, as I was well-stocked in 9mm and 22lr going into this shortage. A few hundred rounds of that was "bear load" 180 grain ammo, which is likely overkill for the snubbie, and since I recently got rid of one of my hunting rifles I figured why not on this, as I do a decent amount of brush hunting and figured I might try this out with those heavier loads. Plus, it just looks like a fun gun...and like I said, I had one more space in the safe.

Well done! Please do post how it shots.

I grew up in Central California, east of Paso Robles out off the Hwy 41 (for anyone familiar with the area). There were rattlesnakes aplenty out there back in the 80's. My mom used to send me out each summer morning to kill any in the yard before she'd let my little brother outside to play. My preferred method was a 20ga, but a well-aimed .22 did less damage to the lawn. I did shoot one with a .357 revolver once... I stepped on it in the tall weeds down by the windmill and by pure luck I had pinned it just behind the head with my boot. It thrashed around but the head stayed still enough for me to dispatch it with my revolver... that's about as close as I've ever come to being bit / shooting myself in the foot. Twelve-year-old me took it in stride, though... just another day out on the ranch. Sure do miss those days sometimes.
-Crow
Minute Of Average

I have two Henry’s one 357 steel the other in 44 mag. Brass. Love them both. For varmits around here many of the goat sheep ranchers get a donkey to protect the flock/herd. They will attack a coyote also any dog.
Friend of ours has a small 40 acre farm out west near Abilene. He carries a Snubbie 38. And makes his own snake shot. I gave him a bag of 357 shells and he loads them with powder then uses a piece of thin styrofoam he cut with a shell case over the powder then adds the shot and another piece of styrofoam then puts a crip on the end of the case to hold everything in place. It works great.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

wings wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:10 pm Henrys are about the only leverguns my LGS has in stock, which is a pity because I still can't get past their open Trump support last year. I'm sure most of the rest of the industry donated money, but they weren't slapping his name on the damn things. Used, might be a different game. But with Marlin out for the foreseeable, and Winchesters unobtanium and expensive, options look like Rossi or Italian guns.

I have been seriously considering whether the objective merits of .357 as a caliber really justify going that way. I look at real world fps numbers, and the barrel length generalizations don't seem to make as much of a difference as cylinder gaps in revolvers. Also been looking at .44s. OTOH, I am already invested in .45 Colt. The 92s are supposed to be strong enough to handle the mythical +Ps - then again, so is my Blackhawk. But factory loads can stay subsonic out of a 16" barrel. Not true for Magnums.

I have no real use for one. Ultimately, I can wait to see how the market improves, and what happens when Ruger gets Marlin back into action.
Rossis are good leverguns, too. The .357M or .44M ones, I can recommend those. Haven't tried a .45 Colt version, but if I were to do so, it'd be a Rossi 92 in .454 Casull, just for the extra strength (I do have a "Magnum" loading of .45 Colt).

The .357M out of a 16" barrel, assuming 2400, will get you to over 1,700 fps with a 158gr cast bullet. Using H110 or W296, you'll be past 1,800. That's plenty good enough to do in most game animals--or snakes--with proper aim. But for a snake, I'd prefer a shotgun loaded with birdshot.
"SF Liberal With A Gun + Free Software Advocate"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/

I have a “trapper length” .357 one that I picked up early last year. I love it. I think mine must have been one of the last production guns before they added the side gate to the line up. Honestly the side gate is a nice addition - but not it’s not really any big deal to flip it while slung from the shoulder and load via the magazine tube. If you reload .38/.357 it’s an economical and fun rifle to shoot.

I’m going try and score one of the Henry “X models” in .45 colt when I can in the future. I like the more pistol type grip, and the oval loop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shooting a lever gun is so much fun. A local range had in indoor automated plate range. I could set the plate to pop up randomly. It was so much fun shooting at them with a Rossi 357, suddenly I was transported to the wild west, sitting on top or a stage coach, blazing away at a gang of outlaws.
After having a lever gun for a while, I realized that I had shot my AR in like 2 years...... it wasn't as much fun to shoot as the lever!!!
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

PerfectTommy wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:13 am I’ve got a Marlin .357 that I really like to shoot .38's in; it's like a big .22, and amazingly quiet...subsonic, earpro isn’t really necessary (but still used) when shooting alone & outdoors.
I have the same--an 1894 from 1979. It's simply the most fun to shoot of anything I have. I do warn friends that you MUST be very positive with the lever. The action is smooth but if you're not definite, pushing the lever down till stops, firmly, and back up again...Surprisingly light too.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

TrueTexan wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:56 pm Buffalo Bore has some 357s that exceed the energy of a 30/30 out of a Marlin 1894 18.5 inch barrel.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l ... tail&p=100
They have a button "SHOOTERS FOR TRUMP" so they can go FUCK themselves!
Sounds like they are looking to support illegal, traitorous insurrectionist "militia".