S&W M&P Shield Plus

I have dragged my heels on newer subcompacts like the Sig P365 and Springfield Armory Hellcat, given that while I will sometimes carry a subcompact (a six-year-old 9mm Shield), I often opt for my Glock 19 or CZ-75 P01. However, this new offering does come off as tempting, given that from what I have gathered, the Shield Plus will fit in current Shield holsters, has better capacity (10+1 with a flush magazine and 13+1 with an extended magazine), and is only around 1/10 of an inch thicker than the older models.

I will take S&W’s word that the trigger is an improvement (granted, I haven’t even tried an M&P 2.0 trigger), but how much of an improvement is it? I have extra cash from tax returns, a stimulus check, and from not being able to buy ammunition, so a modest handgun purchase shouldn’t divert too much from building up savings (for a modest house after the latest housing bubble finally bursts).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"I have been saying for some time now that America only has one party - the property party. It's the party of big corporations, the party of money. It has two right-wings; one is Democrat and the other is Republican."
-Gore Vidal

Re: S&W M&P Shield Plus

7N6Wolf wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:10 pm I have dragged my heels on newer subcompacts like the Sig P365 and Springfield Armory Hellcat, given that while I will sometimes carry a subcompact (a six-year-old 9mm Shield), I often opt for my Glock 19 or CZ-75 P01. However, this new offering does come off as tempting, given that from what I have gathered, the Shield Plus will fit in current Shield holsters, has better capacity (10+1 with a flush magazine and 13+1 with an extended magazine), and is only around 1/10 of an inch thicker than the older models.

I will take S&W’s word that the trigger is an improvement (granted, I haven’t even tried an M&P 2.0 trigger), but how much of an improvement is it? I have extra cash from tax returns, a stimulus check, and from not being able to buy ammunition, so a modest handgun purchase shouldn’t divert too much from building up savings (for a modest house after the latest housing bubble finally bursts).

This is what you 'need'..I have one..traded my Glock 26 with a Glock 19 magazine with sleeve for it. I carry it with a ShieldArms 15R magazine..
Glock-48-9mm_main-01.jpg
Glock-48-9mm_main-01.jpg (8.59 KiB) Viewed 587 times

I seriously wish they wouldn’t have messed with the trigger. One of the things I prefer about the M&P line over Glocks, others, is the trigger. I like the articulation In The M&P over the blade type trigger safety. Other than that, it looks like a winner.

I’ve been very pleased with the M&P line over all - when the prices come down to semi reasonable I may get another shield.

I played with the Performance Center version at one of my local shops a week ago...and it is one nice piece.

The grip is a little longer, but not a lot thicker than a regular Shield; and that trigger is nice, really nice. Felt better to me than a Hellcat or a 365.

I don’t care for striker fired pistols for carry (well, besides P7’s), but if I did...this would be worthy of serious consideration.

Smith & Wesson and M&P have so many similar nomenclatures I haven't been able to feel "caught up" to the point that I recognize each model.

I have an M&P 9 M2.0 compact (12+1 rounds). It was my first "n+1" pistol (the first three were a CZ P10F, a CZ P10S, and a SigSauer P365XL) as I started buying pistols last year. I have an M&P Shield 9 (promo deal from my LGS--pistol plus five magazines (four 8-round, one 7-round) plus a "bug out bag" (yeah, no, it's a small range bag for someone going to the range for an hour or less with a holstered pistol) and a couple other odds and ends).

I have handled a Shield 9 EZ, and it's an intriguing piece. If a certain relative ever decides to be comfortable owning a pistol, I would probably get it for that relative. The lighter slide action and magazine loading is neat for certain demographics.

The Shield is narrower than my usual EDC (CZ P10S), and only a little narrower than my wife's EDC (P365XL with Romeo Zero red dot sight). I carry it at times, but carry two extra magazines to account for the lower magazine capacity (I sincerely hope I never need more than a couple of bullets if I ever need the pistol at all).

Since I've only had striker-fired pistols in recent history (last pistol I fired before 2020 was a .22 LR pistol in high school ROTC), it's what I'm used to carrying. I recognize that some prefer DA/SA or want that hammer, but I haven't had experience with them to decide one is better than the other. I suppose that "different" is a better term than "better/worse," although I'm sure that could be a big can of worms...
Eventually I'll figure out this signature thing and decide what I want to put here.