Gun-loving GOP congressman plans to sue over Capitol metal detectors

Georgia Congressman Andrew Clyde was rebuffed today by the House Ethics Committee over his refusal to walk through metal detectors installed in the wake of the January 6 Capitol riots.

So Clyde, owner of the Clyde Armory in his hometown of Athens, GA (and one other store), now says he'll go to the courts to challenge the constitutionality of metal detectors. Here's Politico's reporting:

"While my team and I continue to await an announcement of a fine levied on the Speaker, we are preparing for the next stage of this fight. I will take my case to federal court where I am confident justice will be served," Clyde said in a statement.

"Clyde had previously stated that he had intentionally bypassed the metal detectors, which were installed after a throng of Trump supporters violently occupied the Capitol in early January for several hours, in order to set up a court challenge.

"I did that so we would have legal standing to take the case to federal court, and that's exactly what I'm going to do," he told Fox News in March. "People have to stand for the Constitution.'"

Among Clyde's pro-gun credits, he introduced a bill last month to shorten the waiting period for gun purchases from three business days to three calendar days. Clyde made so secret as to his motivation for the bill, as reported by the Gainesville Times.

"Clyde in a recent media appearance said the bill is part of his 2020 campaign promise to "eliminate" the background check provisions under the Brady Act. "I really think the Brady background check system is looking at it backwards," Clyde told Fox News. "We need to be looking at it from the point of the Second Amendment is an inalienable right."

Next to trying to eliminate all background checks, Clyde's stand against metal detectors seems to pale in importance. But Clyde is hardly alone in raging against even a basic security measure involving guns.

""A number of Republicans have bristled at the enhanced security measures installed by House leadership in response to the insurrection, arguing that they are unnecessary and intrude on their ability to carry out official duties. Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-Texas) has also been fined for going around House metal detectors and, like Clyde, has had his appeal rejected by the House Ethics Committee," Politico reported.

"After the metal detectors were stationed outside the House chambers, several Republicans were observed trying to go around them, set them off without stopping or argue with Capitol security officials about the matter. U.S. Capitol Police also opened an investigation in January into whether one GOP House member had tried to bring a firearm onto the floor.

"As part of the sweeping changes enacted by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi in the aftermath of the Jan. 6 riot at the Capitol building, members can be subjected to hefty fines — $5,000 for the first violation and $10,000 for additional infractions —for avoiding the metal detectors. The fines are deducted automatically from lawmakers' paychecks."

Clyde, a U.S. Navy veteran, is a freshman congressman, elected to the seat that Rep. Doug Collins vacated to run for U.S. Senate. His district adjoins that of Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene.
https://www.rawstory.com/andrew-clyde-m ... l_shooting

We could have a repeat of this, since the right wing fascist seem to want to take power and put Trump back in office. This congress critter for Georgia seem to want to remove all metal detectors. I doubt the Federal and State courts would approve of that just like many of the federal and state offices that have metal detectors. No detectors at airports let TSA go home.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Re: Gun-loving GOP congressman plans to sue over Capitol metal detectors

Clyde can take it to federal court but I'm not so sure a federal judge would intervene. The judiciary gives a lot of deference to each house of congress and their rules and procedures. Installing the metal detectors was dumb and highly partisan. Do Democrats really think that a Republican member of the House is going to shoot one of them in the House chamber? Stupid thinking and one more thing for Republicans to run on in 2022.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:39 am Clyde can take it to federal court but I'm not so sure a federal judge would intervene. The judiciary gives a lot of deference to each house of congress and their rules and procedures. Installing the metal detectors was dumb and highly partisan. Do Democrats really think that a Republican member of the House is going to shoot one of them in the House chamber? Stupid thinking and one more thing for Republicans to run on in 2022.
With some of the crazy crackpot Repubs in the House and their remarks lately you might never know when one would do such a thing. Also as in 1954 the galleries are open and they need to have security. Gaetz knowing he is going to prison might decide to go out in a blaze of gory instead of glory.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

It's easier to play the gun card than it is to address the disruption that will come from the economy rolling over to non carbon. Jobs are going to change, and people are going to get antsy. Some of them will have guns. But that's not the point.

Of course it would be better in the long run for Congress to accept that the temperature rises on all of us. Everything we eat, drink, shoot, snort, or rub into our bellies (thnx to Carlin) will be influenced by temperature. Everything that floats, rolls, flies, or drives will be influenced. Life will disrupt, so it's best to prepare for that. Lay out how and why changes will happen and so on. You don't want a bunch of anty, armed citizens running around uneducated about the plan for the future.

As it were.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

highdesert wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:39 am Clyde can take it to federal court but I'm not so sure a federal judge would intervene. The judiciary gives a lot of deference to each house of congress and their rules and procedures. Installing the metal detectors was dumb and highly partisan. Do Democrats really think that a Republican member of the House is going to shoot one of them in the House chamber? Stupid thinking and one more thing for Republicans to run on in 2022.
Frankly, not only do they believe it, but I believe it, too! Boebert, Greene, Mo Brooks, Higgs, and several others are SO partisan, SO nutty that they are truly dangerous, seeing Nancy Pelosi, Steny Hoyer, Jim Clyburn, and The Squad, as all foreign agents and willing tools of Satan!
And racist crackpots in the House have a HISTORY of assault, both inside and outside of Congress.

Besides, the Supreme Court has NO jurisdiction over the House and the House Rules. The Constitution is totally explicit on that, with NO room for interpretation.
Each House may determine the Rules of its Proceedings, punish its Members for disorderly Behavior, and, with the Concurrence of two-thirds, expel a Member.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

TrueTexan wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:35 am
With some of the crazy crackpot Repubs in the House and their remarks lately you might never know when one would do such a thing. Also as in 1954 the galleries are open and they need to have security. Gaetz knowing he is going to prison might decide to go out in a blaze of gory instead of glory.

It's theatrics and it feeds the partisan divide. House and Senate members have lapel pins and are known to Capitol police. House and Senate galleries are different, they are open to the public so metal detectors are appropriate. How many state legislators carry in their own chambers and how many shootings on the floors of state legislatures - none AFAIK. A lot of members of congress have been forced to resign or gone to prison and they aren't stupid enough to go out in a blaze of glory. Pelosi got played by the anti-gunners.

I expect when Republicans retake the House the rules will be changed and the metal detector will come down.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

YankeeTarheel wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:12 am
highdesert wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:09 am
I expect when Republicans retake the House.......
That will be a dark and dreadful day.
I try not to get sucked into the drama created by both parties, they want us to believe that things are black and white but they aren't. Rhetoric is not action, both sides act looney in front of the cameras but politicians are actors so I'm not surprised.

In spite of TFG losing in November, Republicans recaptured a lot of House seats mainly purple districts, seats they lost in 2018. The party that holds the WH normally loses seats in midterm elections so it doesn't look good for Democrats in 2022.

It's not a question of being "sucked in". Every time the GOP holds the House bad things happen. And every time they hold the Senate, since McConnell became their leader, far worse things happen. Previous Senate leaders, Dole, Frist, and Lott while getting progressively worse, were capable of true bi-partisanship, which McConnell is not. But the House, under Gingrich, Hastert, Boehner, and Ryan, was dreadful. And McCarthy will be as bad as Gingrich, if not worse.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:00 am It's not a question of being "sucked in". Every time the GOP holds the House bad things happen. And every time they hold the Senate, since McConnell became their leader, far worse things happen. Previous Senate leaders, Dole, Frist, and Lott while getting progressively worse, were capable of true bi-partisanship, which McConnell is not. But the House, under Gingrich, Hastert, Boehner, and Ryan, was dreadful. And McCarthy will be as bad as Gingrich, if not worse.
^^^^^!