Dems to introduce bill to +4 SCOTUS

House and Senate Democrats will introduce legislation Thursday to expand the number of Supreme Court justices to 13 from nine, drawing more attention to the debate surrounding court reform.

The bill, led by Sen. Ed Markey (D-Mass.) and Rep. Jerry Nadler (D-N.Y.), is the first legislation in recent years designed to add seats to the high court, and its introduction comes as progressive organizations are pushing for court expansion, after watching Senate Republicans fill three Supreme Court vacancies in four years under President Donald Trump.
https://www.politico.com/news/2021/04/1 ... urt-481640

I think this is a tremendously dangerous idea. I know others applaud it.

Re: Dems to introduce bill to +4 SCOTUS

While I don't like the current conservative bias in the SCOTUS, I see this as a slippery slope potentially leading to an 'arms race' every time one party gets enough votes. Where does it stop? When the court has as many justices as there are senators? (OK, hyperbole but you get my point.)
LGC #58559867
אבראהאדאברא
θέλημα Αγάπη

sikacz wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:50 am Perhaps in my view a better approach is to get rid of the idea of lifetime appointments to the SCOTUS or any institution.
This I'd support. Both Breyer and Ginsburg have said adding members would be bad. It turns the court into a political football rather than a somewhat stable arbitrator of law. Yes, I realize the current composition is not favorable to things I'd like to see happen. But it should not become a political chess piece of the other branches of government, even more so than it already is.

featureless wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:50 am
sikacz wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:50 am Perhaps in my view a better approach is to get rid of the idea of lifetime appointments to the SCOTUS or any institution.
This I'd support. Both Breyer and Ginsburg have said adding members would be bad. It turns the court into a political football rather than a somewhat stable arbitrator of law. Yes, I realize the current composition is not favorable to things I'd like to see happen. But it should not become a political chess piece of the other branches of government, even more so than it already is.
I agree, There should be some changes put a mandatory retirement age limit of 75 on the SCOTUS and other federal judges to reach Senior status.. Also to be appointed to the SCOTUS you must have first served as a Federal Judge for at least ten years in Federal District Courts and 5 years in Circuit Court of Appeals. This way we can see a record of what their rulings and other decisions were made.

EDIT: Also add in a restriction for the length of time a Judgeship position can be held open by the Senate. It should be ready for a vote by 45 in session days of the Senate. Stop the BS that Moscow Mitch was doing.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

featureless wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:10 pm
House and Senate Democrats will introduce legislation Thursday to expand the number of Supreme Court justices to 13 from nine, drawing more attention to the debate surrounding court reform.

The bill, led by Sen. Ed Markey (D-Mass.) and Rep. Jerry Nadler (D-N.Y.), is the first legislation in recent years designed to add seats to the high court, and its introduction comes as progressive organizations are pushing for court expansion, after watching Senate Republicans fill three Supreme Court vacancies in four years under President Donald Trump.
https://www.politico.com/news/2021/04/1 ... urt-481640

I think this is a tremendously dangerous idea. I know others applaud it.
Abso-frikkin-lutely agreed. That just gives a green light to the Other Side to expand it to 21 next time they're in. Rinse, repeat.
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.