Texas carry bill passed by the Texas House

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texa ... 105785.php

It was passed with a few democrats voting for it and a few republicans not or one abstaining. This would effectively make Texas a "Constitutional carry state". From what I understand, a carry license would still be offered and could be used for reciprocity. I'd encourage training for anyone wanting to carry regardless of what happens with this bill. Next stop the senate, no idea what will happen there or if the governor would sign it. Personally I was okay with the system as is, except there should have been some way to wave fees from those with limited resources.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Re: Texas carry bill passed by the Texas House

Wino wrote:I'm happy with what we have, albeit not perfect, but better than constitutional carry by all, idiot or not.
So how would you give the “idiot” test?

I agree, there are folks I personally don’t want to see carrying a gun, but I’m not the judge. Violent felons should be banned by law. Those who are deemed mentally incapable by competent authority as well...(but that’s open to abuse..)

It’s a right, not a privilege. I understand this forum supports a minimal proficiency test, but I’m not a fan if it stops the most vulnerable of us, such as elderly, poor, or disabled, from defending themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sikacz wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:34 am https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texa ... 105785.php

It was passed with a few democrats voting for it and a few republicans not or one abstaining. This would effectively make Texas a "Constitutional carry state". From what I understand, a carry license would still be offered and could be used for reciprocity. I'd encourage training for anyone wanting to carry regardless of what happens with this bill. Next stop the senate, no idea what will happen there or if the governor would sign it. Personally I was okay with the system as is, except there should have been some way to wave fees from those with limited resources.
Will this have any effect on 30.06 and 30.07 postings?

NegativeApproach wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:46 pm
sikacz wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:34 am https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texa ... 105785.php

Will this have any effect on 30.06 and 30.07 postings?
Good question. I'm guessing not much since one can always forbid carry on private property or in a business. I guess we will know more if it gets past the senate. I would think at minimum they would need to amend the signage to indicate whatever it is they want to not allow. The sign makers will love it.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

BuzzinSATX wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:43 pm
Wino wrote:I'm happy with what we have, albeit not perfect, but better than constitutional carry by all, idiot or not.
So how would you give the “idiot” test?

I agree, there are folks I personally don’t want to see carrying a gun, but I’m not the judge. Violent felons should be banned by law. Those who are deemed mentally incapable by competent authority as well...(but that’s open to abuse..)

It’s a right, not a privilege. I understand this forum supports a minimal proficiency test, but I’m not a fan if it stops the most vulnerable of us, such as elderly, poor, or disabled, from defending themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I tend to agree, and my views on this have shifted substantially in the recent years. If most states offer a “proficiency” test anything like I had to do to obtain a CCW then that is by no means a reasonable measure of neither proficiency nor safety. It is a process to check a box.

That said, I would truly hope that every individual carrying on their person would take the proper precautions and invest in the necessary training to carry. That said, plenty of people are carrying anyway; I don’t love the idea of making it harder for law-abiding citizens, especially people of color and those of lower socioeconomic status, to jump through needless hoops to do so.

highdesert wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:19 pm It still has to get through the TX state senate and the governor has to sign it. Any word from Abbott if he'll sign it?
I have no idea if the senate will pass it or if the governor would sign. I don’t think either group or person has made a clear statement.

YankeeTarheel wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:31 pm
highdesert wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:19 pm It still has to get through the TX state senate and the governor has to sign it. Any word from Abbott if he'll sign it?
"Whar's th' part that sez only White R'publicans kin carry?"--how the Tx senate and gov will see it.
Some of the right wing nuts might not like the end result, but if this goes through 21 year old plus city folk with guns can’t be charged with carrying a gun illegally.

Supposedly the same restrictions will apply where one can carry a gun. But I can see those that ignore wearing a mask when signs are posted doing the same with guns.
Maybe the legislature need to add a provision stating if a person is carrying a gun in a forbidden carry area that is a felony and upon conviction they lose the right to own or cary a gun. Also there will be those that buy a gun and have no training on the safe carry and storage of a gun allowing it to fall in the hands of children.

Like others have said I support the law as written. I would like to see the cost go down to allow the less affluent to buy a gun and get a carry permit.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Well either pass or fail I won’t lose sleep over this one. I will also keep my carry license active. Majority of new gun owners will still buy their carry guns through a store or through the internet both going through a FFL. Meaning there will be a background check.

Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick says Senate currently lacks the votes to pass permitless carry of handguns

Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick said Monday that the state Senate does not currently have the votes to pass permitless carry of handguns but that he will try to see if there is a "path" to change that.

The news from the Republican presiding officer of the Senate came days after the House approved a permitless carry bill, commonly referred to as "constitutional carry" by supporters.

"If we have the votes to pass a permitless carry bill off the Senate floor, I will move it," Patrick said in a statement. "At this point we don't have the votes on the floor to pass it. I plan to meet with law enforcement who oppose permitless carry and with the [National Rifle Association] and [Gun Owners of America] who support it to see if we can find a path that a majority of senators will vote to pass."

In most cases, Senate bills require 18 votes from the 31-member chamber to be considered on the floor. There are only 18 GOP senators, so a permitless-carry bill would need the support of every Republican in the chamber to reach the floor — or at least one Democratic vote if any Republicans defect.

On Friday afternoon, one key GOP senator, Sen. Kel Seliger of Amarillo, suggested he may not be immediately supportive of the proposal. He told The Texas Tribune that his office was still researching the issue and he tends to support "just about all" bills related to gun rights, but the "system that we have now works." He said it was too early to say whether he would block the bill from coming to the floor or vote against it if it made it to the floor.

House Bill 1927 would get rid of the requirement for Texas residents to get a license to carry handguns if they are not already prohibited by state or federal law from possessing a firearm. The House gave final approval to the legislation on Friday morning in an 87-58 vote that included seven Democrats in support of it.

Supporters of permitless carry, including gun rights groups and conservative Republicans, argued the measure simply allows Texans to exercise rights guaranteed under the Second Amendment. Many Democrats, joined by some law enforcement officers and faith leaders in opposition, instead cited the need for stricter gun safety measures following the 2019 mass shootings in El Paso and Midland-Odessa. The debate over gun laws in Texas has emerged as a top issue this session as gun violence nationwide — including a shooting in Bryan on April 8 and another in Austin on Sunday — has reignited the longstanding debates over gun control.

The passage of the bill in the House last week was a notable development since such proposals have not made it nearly as far in recent sessions. House Speaker Dade Phelan's predecessor behind the gavel, Dennis Bonnen, and his predecessor, Joe Straus, were resistant to the idea and especially chafed at the tactics of its supporters. Bonnen declared the proposal "dead" last session after a gun rights activist showed up at his Lake Jackson home to advocate for the proposal.

The Senate under Patrick is generally seen as the chamber more interested in pressing for hot-button conservative issues. But Patrick has has expressed reservations about permitless carry in the past. Ahead of the 2015 session, he said he did not think there was enough support among lawmakers or the public, a sentiment he reiterated in 2017 while citing law enforcement concerns with "anyone being able to walk down the street with a gun and they don't know if they have a permit or not."

A permitless carry bill has also been filed in the Senate this session, but it was referred to a committee over a month ago and has not received a hearing yet.
https://www.rawstory.com/texas-lt-gov-d ... -handguns/

If that bill that was referred to committee over a month ago hasn't had a hearing then it is dead . The Texas Legislature only meets every two years for 140 days and they are in the home stretch now. I doubt any gun bill will be voted on this session especially if the leaders are just mildly interested in it and with the law enforcement against it they won't do anything to assure passage quickly.

The legislature has more important things to do, like insure gas and oil interest don't get the blame for the great freeze power failures by putting the blame on the renewables.
Last edited by TrueTexan on Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

And that's really unfortunate. I'd hoped that Texas would've had more guts than that, like Arizona, Iowa, Tennessee, and the other Constitutional Carry states.
YankeeTarheel wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:31 pm "Whar's th' part that sez only White R'publicans kin carry?"--how the Tx senate and gov will see it.
That's the thing about laws nowadays, ever since the SCOTUS blasted Jim Crow out of the legal water. They can't do that anymore. :-) It's all or none, baby.

And this "pimp style" thing...by a Democrat...
DispositionMatrix wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:59 am I have not seen a completely unedited video of her argument, but Texas Democrat Ann Johnson referred to HB1927 as "wild west, pimp style."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm8FtbXzL6k
...since she had the guts to actually say that publicly, just goes to show you how scared far too many White feminists are of Black and brown-skinned Latino folks arming themselves like White people do. She actually thought that was somehow OK! I guess this...I'll use the word "individual"...really is scared of us and hates us. Typical.
"SF Liberal With A Gun + Free Software Advocate"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/

With that said, as others in this thread have done, I likewise encourage anyone who buys a gun to get some good training. It just shouldn't be a *legal requirement*, any more than literacy tests should've been required for voting. This is a right that we're talking about here, not a privilege.

sikacz wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:52 am It’s been said before, the underpinning of gun restrictions is prejudice/racism.
True...but by a feminist Democrat?? And to do so, so brazenly, in light of recent racial events? I know they're scared of us, but...DAYYUM!

Apparently in their world view, us "n****rs" are just that, yet still.

CowboyT wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:53 am With that said, as others in this thread have done, I likewise encourage anyone who buys a gun to get some good training. It just shouldn't be a *legal requirement*, any more than literacy tests should've been required for voting. This is a right that we're talking about here, not a privilege.
I like to see a full frontal push for education in gun safety and use in any case. Using any tool it’s important to know how to safely use it.

CowboyT wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:55 am
sikacz wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:52 am It’s been said before, the underpinning of gun restrictions is prejudice/racism.
True...but by a feminist Democrat?? And to do so, so brazenly, in light of recent racial events? I know they're scared of us, but...DAYYUM!

Apparently in their world view, us "n****rs" are just that, yet still.
Prejudices exist even among feminist democrats. Some just hide it better.

The bill passed. It’s going to head to the governor’s desk once agreement is reached between the chambers.

https://www.statesman.com/story/news/20 ... 946899001/
The House can accept the changes, sending HB 1927 to Gov. Greg Abbott, who has said he will sign a permitless carry bill. If the House disagrees, senators and representatives would form a conference committee to hash out the differences and present a final version of the bill to both houses for approval.

The legislative session ends May 31.

Vice fearmongering over futile 2A sanctuary bills/laws.
These ‘Gun Sanctuary States’ Want to Destroy Biden’s Gun Control Plans
If it becomes law, it would make Texas the most extreme gun sanctuary state, because it appears tailored to block specific gun laws that have widespread public support—and are core to Biden’s agenda.

In the month of April alone, six states—Arizona, Montana, Nebraska, North Dakota, Oklahoma, and West Virginia—became so-called gun sanctuaries. But the specifics of the bills range widely, from political grandstanding, to having the potential to trigger a nasty constitutional showdown.

Nebraska and North Dakota passed “proclamations” which, ultimately, appear little more than symbolic gestures designed to give their governors an opportunity to flex their pro-gun credentials. The Montana law seems tailored to preempt a possible assault weapon ban, because it bars state and local law enforcement from enforcing any federal ban on ammunition or guns. Arizona’s new law prohibits localities from enforcing federal gun laws that are inconsistent with state gun laws.
ETA: Wrong thread.
Last edited by DispositionMatrix on Fri May 07, 2021 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.