Re: Massachusetts town unhappy over FFL possibly opening

highdesert wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:53 am Yup, a few years ago it was San Carlos in CA where people protested a new gun shop. MA is a very liberal and blue state.
Yeah, I remember that as I live near there, too bad, though San Carlos did/does have a long term LGS already, catering to hunting and fishing mostly (no AR's or AK's etc), so part of the argument was does a small town like San Carlos need two LGS's?

That said, IMO from a consumer's POV, why not?

VERY blue town in a VERY blue state here..one gun store in the republic of Boulder and it has been there for years(decades?)..does quite well. I think 'many' people in governments underestimate the number of liberal/progressives/no GOPathetic that are gun owners.

I agreed, let it open and see how it does. if it doesn't get in anybody's face..ra-ra, repub, RKBA, 2A in yer face, I suspect it 'll do just fine. No politics in the Boulder one..just gun stuff, info, sales, service..good guy..

They are losing their minds. Ignorance of the law, junk science about school proximity to gun stores, and general FUD (not Elmer this time). Shop looks like it might be opened by an ex cop, catering to cops (LEOSA classes in addition to gun smithing) rather than a walk in gun shop (sign says by appointment only, I suspect it will be a low inventory type shop). That said, there's another shop 2.5 miles away so its not like they are preventing any fictitious proximity based outcomes.

They are talking about emergency changes to the zoning ordinance. Ironically they are dealing with the after effects of bad zoning decisions on housing decades ago, so what could possibly go wrong...

City council has a hearing supposedly coming up. Yay for an opportunity to testify, though the last time I testified, the opposite of what I wanted to happen happened. Fun times.

F4FEver wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:45 am VERY blue town in a VERY blue state here..one gun store in the republic of Boulder and it has been there for years(decades?)..does quite well. I think 'many' people in governments underestimate the number of liberal/progressives/no GOPathetic that are gun owners.
That shop in Boulder is where I made my first gun purchase, circa 1986 IIRC: a Ruger Mark II. Glad to see they're still open.
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

Policies which seek to modify human behavior through “prohibition type” legislation has not only failed historically but often rather spectacularly. It’s amusing to consider the psychology behind them are often paternalistic and religious in nature; implying that the backers of said policies know better what the average adult citizen can and cannot possess or enjoy with moderation.

Interesting that supposedly Liberal mothers are pushing this latest round of bans. Somewhat revealing of a hidden religious conservative streak?
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Bisbee wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:24 pm Policies which seek to modify human behavior through “prohibition type” legislation has not only failed historically but often rather spectacularly. It’s amusing to consider the psychology behind them are often paternalistic and religious in nature; implying that the backers of said policies know better what the average adult citizen can and cannot possess or enjoy with moderation.

Interesting that supposedly Liberal mothers are pushing this latest round of bans. Somewhat revealing of a hidden religious conservative streak?
Puritan heritage.....

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Buck13 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:09 pm
F4FEver wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:45 am VERY blue town in a VERY blue state here..one gun store in the republic of Boulder and it has been there for years(decades?)..does quite well. I think 'many' people in governments underestimate the number of liberal/progressives/no GOPathetic that are gun owners.
That shop in Boulder is where I made my first gun purchase, circa 1986 IIRC: a Ruger Mark II. Glad to see they're still open.
Ross and his son Jason are good people. Fair, reasonable and great deals. I have bought 3-4 guns from him, both new and used. Traded some..very fair.

Was looking for a Cowboy gun..went to 4-5 other places then dropped by..Viola..a nearly new Made by Uberti labeled Beretta, Thunderer...
IMG_4789 copy.jpg
IMG_4789 copy.jpg (57.78 KiB) Viewed 2138 times

F4FEver wrote:
Buck13 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:09 pm
Ross and his son Jason are good people. Fair, reasonable and great deals. I have bought 3-4 guns from him, both new and used. Traded some..very fair.

Was looking for a Cowboy gun..went to 4-5 other places then dropped by..Viola..a nearly new Made by Uberti labeled Beretta, Thunderer...
IMG_4789 copy.jpg
I love the thunderer. I love both single & double action wheel guns. What caliber?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buck13 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:50 am Indeed! I'm usually a double-action revolver guy, but that one's cute as hell. What's the caliber?

The bump on the grip is interesting...
38/357 and in 1990, this 'bird's head' grip was introduced instead of the more familiar 'Bird's Head'. I handled a 'bird's head' and didn't like it..then the pictured one, bought it and really love it. A little google-foo and found this.
UBERTI-BIRD-SAA-MAGD-IVORY-GRIPS-_1 copy.jpg
UBERTI-BIRD-SAA-MAGD-IVORY-GRIPS-_1 copy.jpg (27.49 KiB) Viewed 2044 times

Wellesley, which is next to Newton, has no firearm stores but is serious about not wanting any. Let no one doubt the virtue of the leadership in either of these towns.
Wellesley taking aim at gun shops
The Wellesley Planning Board will address zoning for gun shops at its May 5 meeting and then is holding a public meeting on June 7 at 6:30pm to further discuss a proposed amendment to the Zoning Bylaw that would ban gun makers and shops in town.

From what we can see, no mention of “gun” or “firearm” exists in the Wellesley Zoning Bylaw.

The proposed amendment is to add a new section 16.I that no new building or structure shall be constructed or used, in whole or in part, and no building or structure, or part thereof, shall be altered, enlarged, reconstructed or used, and no land shall be used, in any part of the Town: “For the manufacture, sale, or lease of any Weapon, Machine Gun, Ammunition, Bump Stock, Large Capacity Feeding Device, Stun Gun, or Trigger Crank, or by any person engaged in the business of a Gunsmith inany zoning district. Each capitalized term shall have the definition set forth in G.L.c.140,§ 121.”The purpose of the hearing is to allow interested persons the opportunity to express their views and opinions on the proposed amendment.

DispositionMatrix wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 3:56 pm Wellesley, which is next to Newton, has no firearm stores but is serious about not wanting any. Let no one doubt the virtue of the leadership in either of these towns.
Wellesley taking aim at gun shops
The Wellesley Planning Board will address zoning for gun shops at its May 5 meeting and then is holding a public meeting on June 7 at 6:30pm to further discuss a proposed amendment to the Zoning Bylaw that would ban gun makers and shops in town.

From what we can see, no mention of “gun” or “firearm” exists in the Wellesley Zoning Bylaw.

The proposed amendment is to add a new section 16.I that no new building or structure shall be constructed or used, in whole or in part, and no building or structure, or part thereof, shall be altered, enlarged, reconstructed or used, and no land shall be used, in any part of the Town: “For the manufacture, sale, or lease of any Weapon, Machine Gun, Ammunition, Bump Stock, Large Capacity Feeding Device, Stun Gun, or Trigger Crank, or by any person engaged in the business of a Gunsmith inany zoning district. Each capitalized term shall have the definition set forth in G.L.c.140,§ 121.”The purpose of the hearing is to allow interested persons the opportunity to express their views and opinions on the proposed amendment.
I briefly lived in Wellesley. I'm chuckling at the thought of a gun shop in that town. Unless a lot has changed there, I can't picture a gun shop, nevermind the zoning.

Still in a lather.
Some Newton City Councilors To Call For Ban On Sale Of Firearms: It's in response to hundreds of residents calling for an outright prohibition on both the sale and manufacturing of firearms.
"Why don't we concentrate on trying to prevent a gun shop from opening in Newton?.... Why don't we do what everybody wants us to do?" Gentile said during a zoning and planning committee meeting Thursday night during a discussion on a proposal to severely restrict gun shop businesses in town. Gentile said that since it came out that a gun store was set to open in town, he'd received hundreds of emails, the vast majority of which were anti-gun shop.
Although the mayor was alerted that the licensing process in late March, residents learned of the proposed shop around April 15. They set to work and petitioned the city to do something to regulate their location, if not ban them. Within 12 hours, hundreds had signed the petition.

On April 16, the day after the petition launched, the mayor and City Council docketed proposed amendments to limit the dealers to certain zoning districts, require special permit approval from the City Council, and buffers between a store and sensitive locations.