Massachusetts Democrats introduce bill to ban Smith&Wesson from manufacturing semi-automatic carbines

Previous title: "Public radio lament of Smith & Wesson's high sales numbers"
As Advocates Push For Gun Control, Business Is Booming For Springfield's Smith & Wesson
For the story, WBUR interviewed one of their goto firearm prohibitionists in Massachusetts, John Rosenthal.
Rosenthal said it's "insane," however, that Massachusetts is home to one of the country's largest gunmakers, even though it also boasts some of the nation's strictest gun laws in the nation.
Rosenthal is backing a proposal that would take the state's assault weapons ban a step further: Not only would it be illegal to own these weapons in Massachusetts, it would also bar gun makers like Smith & Wesson from shipping them to private citizens in other states.

"We have a responsibility that guns and part of guns that are manufactured here in Massachusetts have been used to kill children and people and loved ones across the country," said State Rep. Marjorie Decker, a Democrat from Cambridge, who plans to introduce the legislation next week.
ETA: Now there is a bill.
Last edited by DispositionMatrix on Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Public radio lament of Smith & Wesson's high sales numbers

Mikeinmich wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:24 am Well, I suppose all those jobs will be good for some other state’s economy.
I can't help but wonder if S&W is holding out to see if semi-automatic carbines like the M&P 15 are banned altogether at the federal level before deciding whether to move. But even that ban would not be enough for disarmament enthusiasts, so they probably should move anyway.

Also, I had been wondering when firearm prohibitionists would try to stop manufacturers in ban states from selling their forbidden wares in free states.

The industry is not only growing but also diversifying, with women and minorities making up over 40% of the overall purchases," said Mark Smith, chief executive of Smith & Wesson, as he delivered good news to investors last month
So it’s all about political expediency, control and total disarmament for these types of politicians. They don’t want historically oppressed groups to be able to defend themselves. They don’t actually want police reform, they want compliance to the armed state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

INVICTVS138 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:43 pm
The industry is not only growing but also diversifying, with women and minorities making up over 40% of the overall purchases," said Mark Smith, chief executive of Smith & Wesson, as he delivered good news to investors last month
So it’s all about political expediency, control and total disarmament for these types of politicians. They don’t want historically oppressed groups to be able to defend themselves. They don’t actually want police reform, they want compliance to the armed state.

You nailed it.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

wings wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:48 pm Does S&W ever ship to private citizens in other states? I was under the impression that even repaired weapons needed to be shipped to a FFL, much less sales. I certainly can't see a scenario where MA is legally allowed to regulate sale or shipment of arms from, say, NH to VT. IANAL, but damn.
Not sure I know. As far as I’ve understood it warranty repairs did not need to go through an FFL. Then again, I’ve never needed a warranty repair.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

sikacz wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:52 pm
wings wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:48 pm Does S&W ever ship to private citizens in other states? I was under the impression that even repaired weapons needed to be shipped to a FFL, much less sales. I certainly can't see a scenario where MA is legally allowed to regulate sale or shipment of arms from, say, NH to VT. IANAL, but damn.
Not sure I know. As far as I’ve understood it warranty repairs did not need to go through an FFL. Then again, I’ve never needed a warranty repair.
If you send your gun to S&W for repairs, they can send it directly back to you (perhaps this may vary from state to state).

The only way it needs to go through a FFL is if it cannot be repaired, and they replace it with a new gun.

PerfectTommy wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:04 pm
sikacz wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:52 pm
If you send your gun to S&W for repairs, they can send it directly back to you (perhaps this may vary from state to state).

The only way it needs to go through a FFL is if it cannot be repaired, and they replace it with a new gun.
That was my understanding. Never had to do it, but that is how I understood it.

Massachusetts Democrats introduce bill to ban Smith&Wesson from manufacturing semi-automatic carbines

Here we go:
Massachusetts gun makers accused of "exporting bloodshed" to the nation
The bill filed Tuesday would prohibit Massachusetts companies such as Smith & Wesson from manufacturing assault weapons and high-capacity magazines covered under the state's existing ban on their purchase and possession. Anything manufactured to be sold to law enforcement, the military or foreign governments would be exempt from the newly proposed ban, and handguns — which are used in a vast majority of gun violence — would not be affected.
Requisite "loopole" claim:
Supporters described the ability of Massachusetts companies to manufacture weapons they are banned from selling in the state as a "loophole" in the current law. Lawmakers who filed the new bill said banning the manufacture of most assault weapons would help reduce the toll of gun violence, particularly mass shootings, elsewhere in America.
"If we no longer produce and manufacture military-style assault weapons here in Massachusetts and we impact the ability for private citizens to access these weapons, we know there will be fewer mass shootings," Rep. Marjorie Decker, a Cambridge Democrat and one of the bill's authors, said. "We know less people will die."
"Less people." Yeah.

Re: Massachusetts Democrats introduce bill to ban Smith&Wesson from manufacturing semi-automatic carbines

HD4192
https://malegislature.gov/Bills/192/HD4192
SECTION 1. Chapter 269 of the General Laws is amended by adding the following section:--

Section 20. No person shall, within the commonwealth, manufacture or cause to be manufactured, partially or completely, any assault weapon or large capacity feeding device as defined in section 121 of chapter 140 of the General Laws. This prohibition shall not apply to weapons or devices manufactured by a licensed manufacturer solely for the purpose of the lawful sale to an authorized law enforcement or military agency of the commonwealth, any other state, the United States, or a foreign government approved by the United States State Department.

Whoever violates this section shall be punished by a fine of not less than $1,000 nor more than $1,000,000 or by imprisonment for not less than one year nor more than ten years, or by both such fine and imprisonment.
SD2588
https://malegislature.gov/Bills/192/SD2588
Chapter 269 of the General Laws is amended by adding the following section:-

Section 20. No person shall, within the commonwealth, manufacture or cause to be manufactured, partially or completely, any assault weapon or large capacity feeding device as defined in section 121 of chapter 140 of the General Laws. This prohibition shall not apply to weapons or devices manufactured by a licensed manufacturer solely for the purpose of the lawful sale to an authorized law enforcement or military agency of the commonwealth, any other state, the United States, or a foreign government approved by the United States State Department.

Whoever violates this section shall be punished by a fine of not less than $1,000 nor more than $1,000,000 or by imprisonment for not less than one year nor more than ten years, or by both such fine and imprisonment.

Re: Massachusetts Democrats introduce bill to ban Smith&Wesson from manufacturing semi-automatic carbines

I know there is all the history of Small Arms manufacture in New England, a skilled work force, etc...

But they need to punch out of there to AZ like Ruger did. Smart decision to get out ahead of this.

These type of laws (or the threat of them) are just self-aggrandizement that kill jobs in state. If I were S&W, I’d be out.

There's a good reason why MagPul moved out of Colorado. I would suggest S&W and all other firearm companies in MA do the same, taking their jobs to states that actually respect our tradition of fine firearms manufacture. What the hell happened to the freedom-loving attitude of people in Massachusetts? Isn't that the state where the Boston Tea Party took place?

Note that Ruger still has their headquarters in Southport, CT. They ought to move that as well.
"SF Liberal With A Gun + Free Software Advocate"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/

INVICTVS138 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:23 am I know there is all the history of Small Arms manufacture in New England, a skilled work force, etc...

But they need to punch out of there to AZ like Ruger did. Smart decision to get out ahead of this.

These type of laws (or the threat of them) are just self-aggrandizement that kill jobs in state. If I were S&W, I’d be out.

S&W has a facility in Maine to which they might be able to shift some production. The problem is the ban fever might follow them to Maine. Moving to New Hampshire would be lower impact for their workforce, but from a business perspective, the company might consider New Hampshire too high-risk as well.

You would think that the facts the dems deplore (more sales) might cause them to rethink their decision. More sales means more people with guns, more people who support gun ownership, more people supporting ownership of full semiautomatic weapons, more people who won't support anti gun businesses and antigun politicians.
One of the first antigun actions by the legal government in Mass had bad results for the govt. A pack of raggedy subjects shot an armed group of red coats to pieces and eventually threw out the legal govt and established a new one. Of course, those "subjects" were uncivilized people with spines.