Home of lawyer who successfully defended stepson in DGU case targeted by Roanoke PD

Lawsuit: Cops Trashed An Attorney's Home In Retaliation For Successfully Defending A Suspect Against Murder Charges
Prosecutors really wanted Darreonta Reynolds for murder, but security camera footage from the convenience store where the shooting took place appeared to show Reynolds shooting Jean De Dieu Nkurunziza in self-defense when Nkurunziza came after him with a gun. The jury agreed with the defense's case, acquitting Reynolds after ninety minutes of deliberation.

This apparently angered someone somewhere in the Roanoke Police Department because this is what happened next. From the lawsuit [PDF]:
Just three days after D. Reynolds acquittal, Defendants targeted Ms. Reynolds for retaliation. Defendants broke down the front door of Ms. Reynolds‘ home after she had offered to let them in, "searched" Ms. Reynolds' home for an individual by destroying her personal possessions, including those entirely irrelevant to a search for a person and left Ms. Reynolds traumatized, knowing that she could be targeted by police for engaging in constitutionally protected activity.

Re: Home of lawyer who successfully defended stepson in DGU case targeted by Roanoke PD

And they're both Black, both Darreonta Reynolds and his attorney, stepmother Cathy Reynolds. Big surprise they "really wanted" Darreonta...but I'm surprised that the cops would be *so* brazen as to actually go after an attorney. May these thugs who did this to her face very stiff justice...not just jailtime, but also from their personal wallets, not just the taxpayer.

Here's an article showing a picture of the Reynoldses.

https://roanoke.com/news/local/roanoke- ... bb181.html

However, I do wonder...given that she's a defense attorney and ought to know better, why would she invite the police into her home without them having a warrant?
"SF Liberal With A Gun + Free Software Advocate"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/

Re: Home of lawyer who successfully defended stepson in DGU case targeted by Roanoke PD

CowboyT wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:06 pm And they're both Black, both Darreonta Reynolds and his attorney, stepmother Cathy Reynolds. Big surprise they "really wanted" Darreonta...but I'm surprised that the cops would be *so* brazen as to actually go after an attorney. May these thugs who did this to her face very stiff justice...not just jailtime, but also from their personal wallets, not just the taxpayer.

Here's an article showing a picture of the Reynoldses.

https://roanoke.com/news/local/roanoke- ... bb181.html

However, I do wonder...given that she's a defense attorney and ought to know better, why would she invite the police into her home without them having a warrant?
I’m wondering why she let them in too without a warrant.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

cooper wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:50 am
highdesert wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 9:02 am Civil lawsuits contain allegations, a court trial will determine if they are true.
May I suggest that it should read, "A court trial will determine who wins." Our judicial system is an adversarial system that is all about winning--not seeking the truth.

Yes it is an adversarial system, probably as close to sorting out the facts as we're going to get and that's why there are appellate courts. It's not perfect in any way and that's why I don't believe in the death penalty. Old saying that the law does not seek justice, it seeks to resolve conflicts.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:02 am
highdesert wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 9:02 am Civil lawsuits contain allegations, a court trial will determine if they are true.
May I suggest that it should read, "A court trial will determine who wins." Our judicial system is an adversarial system that is all about winning--not seeking the truth.

Yes it is an adversarial system, probably as close to sorting out the facts as we're going to get and that's why there are appellate courts. It's not perfect in any way and that's why I don't believe in the death penalty. Old saying that the law does not seek justice, it seeks to resolve conflicts.
Sorry if I sounded like an asshole. I've had exactly one interaction with the court system, and I learned exactly two things from it: 1) avoid court if at all possible, 2) don't be poor. I will never let myself be poor again.

cooper wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:32 pm

Sorry if I sounded like an asshole. I've had exactly one interaction with the court system, and I learned exactly two things from it: 1) avoid court if at all possible, 2) don't be poor. I will never let myself be poor again.

No apology necessary, you pointed out realities of our legal system. "Equal Justice Under Law" which is carved above the SCOTUS entrance is an ideal, it's not reality. Our criminal courts operate because of plea bargains and our civil courts often depend on who has the best and most expensive lawyers.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 2:40 pm
cooper wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:32 pm

No apology necessary, you pointed out realities of our legal system. "Equal Justice Under Law" which is carved above the SCOTUS entrance is an ideal, it's not reality. Our criminal courts operate because of plea bargains and our civil courts often depend on who has the best and most expensive lawyers.
Yeah, and at the end of the day even I will admit it's probably better than settling things with clubs...though at times... :whistle: