Re: Wayne's days are numbered - Texas judge throws out Chapter 11

Go back to France, Wayne! We don’t need your champagne swilling, caviar snortin’ kind around here. And take your Russian friends to Europe with ya, Frenchy!
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

The virtual trial in a North Texas bankruptcy court included testimony from top current and former NRA officials, including Chief Executive Officer Wayne LaPierre, who testified on April 7 that he had kept news of the impending bankruptcy filing from the NRA’s own general counsel, chief financial officer and other salaried NRA officials.

Hale called LaPierre’s decision to file for bankruptcy without notifying the NRA’s board and others “troubling” in his decision.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/11/politics ... ankruptcy/

For too long Ole Wayne thought he was teflon, going it alone on the bankruptcy looks like he's hiding things. The NRA should have left New York State long ago, it's HQ is in VA. .
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

F4FEver wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:04 am Gotta say, as a 'liberal gun owner', belonging to a decent gun organization, that teaches gun safety, knowledge, etc, is appealing. If the NRA was like it was around when it was started, marksmanship, safety, etc..I would join but the NRA today, with worthless shits like WLP..no way.
I was a member back in 1980 But when the American Rifleman started having a shift to more rightwing political comments is when I quit.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

INVICTVS138 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:14 am The article links to a NY article with a video showing WLP repeatedly shooting a down elephant on a Botswana hunt in an unethical (inaccurate) manner.

Did Wayne ever take the NRA Basic Rifle course ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Of Course not WLP was only there to suck money from the members for a high flying lifestyle and look like he was doing something. He probably never touched a gun before coming to the NRA. He had been a legislative aide to a Democratic Virginia delegate and Washington lobbyist
Amidst chaos inside the organization that included an attempt to unseat him, LaPierre was unanimously re-elected as the group’s CEO and executive vice president on April 29. He is widely regarded as the man who made the NRA the powerful lobbying organization it is today, and his tough, no-compromise stance on gun issues — including calling for armed security in every American school in the wake of the 2012 Newtown shooting — has helped the organization’s membership swell to what it claims is nearly 5 million people.

But LaPierre wasn’t always a gun enthusiast.

In fact, when he first joined the NRA in 1978, he was more comfortable on K Street than in a duck blind.

“The safest place you could be with Wayne and a gun back then was in a different state, because he really did not know anything about guns,” former NRA spokesman John Aquilino told FRONTLINE in the 2015 documentary Gunned Down: The Power of the NRA. “Politics, yes; guns, no.”
https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/arti ... -lapierre/
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

'Long-overdue reckoning': Washington Post editorial applauds NRA's comeuppance after years of corruption

In a blunt opinion piece from the Washington Post editorial board, the National Rifle Association was scorched for decades of corruption and self-dealing, saying that gun advocacy group is finally facing a "reckoning."

With a federal judge tossing out the NRA's bankruptcy case after "finding that the nation's largest gun rights groups had filed the case not for legitimate financial reasons but to gain an unfair litigation advantage," the Post's editors applauded the move.

"In a suit filed last August, Ms. James outlined illegal self-dealing that funded the lavish lifestyles of NRA chief Wayne LaPierre, his family and a small group of allies. The actions, according to the suit, contributed to the loss of more than $64 million in three year," the editors wrote. "Testimony during the bankruptcy case buttressed the charges with details of the organization's tax-exempt funds used for wedding expenses, private jet travel and exotic getaways. Mr. LaPierre's private travel consultant testified that he instructed her to alter travel invoices for private jets so as to hide their true destinations. Mr. LaPierre testified he didn't know how his former chief financial officer had received a $360,000-a-year consulting contract after leaving under a cloud, and he admitted to trips on a luxury yacht belonging to an NRA vendor — a conflict of interest he did not disclose."

Noting that New York Attorney General Letitia James has described the NRA as an organization where "the rot runs deep," the editors said the time has come for officials to be held responsible.

"Whether it [the NRA] can be reformed or should be dissolved will be up to the court in New York, but it's good that there will be a long-overdue reckoning," the editors wrote.
https://www.rawstory.com/nra-2653005581/

When this is all over WLP might be wearing an orange jumpsuit rather than Thousand Dollar tailored suits from Rodeo Drive Calif.

TrueTexan wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:54 am
F4FEver wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:04 am Gotta say, as a 'liberal gun owner', belonging to a decent gun organization, that teaches gun safety, knowledge, etc, is appealing. If the NRA was like it was around when it was started, marksmanship, safety, etc..I would join but the NRA today, with worthless shits like WLP..no way.
I was a member back in 1980 But when the American Rifleman started having a shift to more rightwing political comments is when I quit.
Yes, I was one of those NRA kids some 55 years ago when dad said if I wanted a gun I would have to join the NRA kids program and learn to shoot.

I was going over the history of the NRA and found this video to be most concise. Some may not like it but it's truth. I think I was a member until The Revolt at Cincinnati or somewhere around there. Certainly left before Heston and little weasel Oliver North

Why The NRA Is Even Terrible For Gun-Owners

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYGOg1xElBc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYGOg1xElBc
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”