Re: New member and gun owner

lurker wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:59 pm i don't mind if hesheit's here. we can disagree and still learn from each other, sometimes we learn what not to do.
I’ve learned not to engage in an extend discussion. I’ve learned no matter how well reasoned an argument if it goes against their indoctrination it’s wasted effort. I don’t care to have them around, but if the club admins tolerate their presence so be it. I believe I’ve learned about as much as I want from them. I’ll just get popcorn and watch y’all debate against a brick wall. It’s on par with watching paint dry.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

I read that other thread. wow
My question is why would people here want to ban a person who is a democrat, just bought a gun and has a little different outlook on gun ownership and is a liberal at heart?

There's millions of them out there. Will you ban them all because they do not agree with you totally?

I understand this forum has a "click" club mentality where some people want it to stay small and comphy. But the club should grow and welcome members even if they do want more gun control than the clubs stance regarding gun legislation. Otherwise it sounds almost like some other radical right wing gun forum.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

lurker wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:59 pm i don't mind if hesheit's here. we can disagree and still learn from each other, sometimes we learn what not to do.
I don't think there's anything to learn from racist bloomberg talking points, but I don't disagree that we can co-exist. I also understand the viewpoint that there's no space for anti-gun sentiments from people who aren't willing to learn that their indoctrination by antis has been damaging for the 2A and the 1A as well.

tonguengroover wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:38 pm I read that other thread. wow
My question is why would people here want to ban a person who is a democrat, just bought a gun and has a little different outlook on gun ownership and is a liberal at heart?

There's millions of them out there. Will you ban them all because they do not agree with you totally?

I understand this forum has a "click" club mentality where some people want it to stay small and comphy. But the club should grow and welcome members even if they do want more gun control than the clubs stance regarding gun legislation. Otherwise it sounds almost like some other radical right wing gun forum.
A minor point, this is not the “democratic (party) gun club”, it’s the “Liberal Gun Club”. His positions were not minor differences. They were and are opposite of the stated positions of this organization.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

NegativeApproach wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:54 pm
I don't think there's anything to learn from racist bloomberg talking points, but I don't disagree that we can co-exist. I also understand the viewpoint that there's no space for anti-gun sentiments from people who aren't willing to learn that their indoctrination by antis has been damaging for the 2A and the 1A as well.
Bravo!

Has anyone seen the declaration under the forum header? It says "The posts on this public forum do not necessarily represent the LGC".

Let me explain something while I have the opportunity without getting too political.

I changed from Libertarian to Democrat last year. Why? Because I understood that splitting votes with smaller liberal - esk partys would mean the orange man would get in office. Plus, I disagreed with their stance on helping the unfortunate, they are kinda greedy little F'ers.

That said I felt it very important to get rid of the wanna be tyrant.

I volunteered, gave money, argued and protested instead of just fighting online. Course I do enjoy getting on radical right wings forums and drive them batty shooting down all sorts of lies they tell.
There are people on gunboards.com - admin, mods along with Q people who cried and wanted me to swing next to Pence because I was a liberal.

How dare a liberal come on a gun forum they said!! Luckily there were more than just me on the Grumpy Old Mans sub-forum where politics is allowed.

So when I hear people on this forum saying almost the same thing it makes me sad.

We should be about education, gun education and helping others understand that stringent gun control is bad. Myself, I don't mind back ground checks. I do the 4473 with glee. It does not bother me. I don't think we should be alienating people because they want more gun control than others.

I am now a Individual Sustaining Member and hope to keep it that way.
Last edited by tonguengroover on Thu May 13, 2021 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

Before I get off my soapbox I want to say, some people need to get out more. Check out https://www.reddit.com/r/liberalgunowners/ for a minute. Lot sf different people LGBTQ and even foreigners! LOL

Every day there are new gun owners on there that just bought their first gun who never ever thought they would want or need a gun. Some feel uncomfortable about it and ask for help. People ask if there are any other liberal forums/clubs and friendly ranges. This forum has been mentioned numerous times. I would hope people here welcome all of them with open arms.

OK, off the soap box for now. I'm tired of arguing politics after last year. I need peace and loud reports!

lurker wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:29 pm no one is forced to be here against their will.
about once a month or two i think "i don't belong here, i ought to leave." but then i remember there's a community here, with a shared consensus about root cause mitigation instead of ill-conceived restriction of a constitutional right. i'm supposed to be an adult, it's up to me to decide if i stay here as long as i don't break the rules.
The fact that from time to time you rationally and objectively reconsider your position proves you do belong here, where Kool-Aid is not served.
This isn't going well, is it?

Nice welcome thread hijack, lads. Although I do appreciate tonguengroover's input here.

This is the Liberal Gun Club, not the Left-Wing Shall-Not-Be-Infringed Club.

We all have our preferences in firearms, our opinions about what's reasonable & safe and what isn't. The manifesto we all agreed to, and it's a good one, is that root causes should come first. I've never seen evidence to back the notion that an armed society is a polite one, but I'd love to see us exemplify it better.

wings wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 7:29 am Nice welcome thread hijack, lads. Although I do appreciate tonguengroover's input here.

This is the Liberal Gun Club, not the Left-Wing Shall-Not-Be-Infringed Club.

We all have our preferences in firearms, our opinions about what's reasonable & safe and what isn't. The manifesto we all agreed to, and it's a good one, is that root causes should come first. I've never seen evidence to back the notion that an armed society is a polite one, but I'd love to see us exemplify it better.
:clap2:

Thank you, wings. I couldn't have said it better. Oh, and by the way, welcome jwc. If I recall, this was your intro thread originally. Wonder if you're even still around after all this crap. If you're still here, stick around. Or maybe not; I am seriously reconsidering after this.

lurker wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:29 pm no one is forced to be here against their will.
about once a month or two i think "i don't belong here, i ought to leave." but then i remember there's a community here, with a shared consensus about root cause mitigation instead of ill-conceived restriction of a constitutional right. i'm supposed to be an adult, it's up to me to decide if i stay here as long as i don't break the rules.
People are free to come and go. Agree with lurker’s points, I stay because of the positions stated by the LGC and I really do like most of y’all even the ones I sometimes disagree mildly with. If this was a club dedicated to supporting the democratic party platform, I wouldn’t be here. I know it’s not.
To the OP, welcome again. (Since he joined mid last year and just posted an intro recently I think he knows by now what this place is about.)

I’m still here. 🙂

I didn’t realize my comment about magazine capacity would start a huge thread. I was just venting about all the cool guns I couldn’t buy in Maryland.

As a newbie gun owner, I’m still forming my opinions, and appreciate the different perspectives.

Jwc wrote:
I don’t know yet how I feel about all the issues surrounding the gun control debate, but since I live in Maryland, I do feel that the 10 cartridge magazine limit is not effective, and that there are root causes that need to be addressed to reduce gun violence.

Looking forward to being part of the community.
Welcome from Bethesda!!

You are correct - it is illegal to purchase, sell or manufacture magazines with a capacity of greater than 10 rounds within Maryland. However, possession of magazines greater than 10 rounds is legal if purchased out of state. There are some very nice people in Virginia…

sikacz wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:37 am
People are free to come and go. Agree with lurker’s points, I stay because of the positions stated by the LGC and I really do like most of y’all even the ones I sometimes disagree mildly with. If this was a club dedicated to supporting the democratic party platform, I wouldn’t be here. I know it’s not.
To the OP, welcome again. (Since he joined mid last year and just posted an intro recently I think he knows by now what this place is about.)
You and I disagree frequently, sometimes vehemently. That's what free discussion is all about.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 12:26 pm
sikacz wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:37 am
You and I disagree frequently, sometimes vehemently. That's what free discussion is all about.
Yes, but with you there is a point to discuss. There is little point in debating or discussing anything when the other person’s viewpoint is obviously fixed and totally anti any gun other than a flintlock (slight exaggeration, black powder weapons).