Congress to appoint a bi-partisan commission to investigate January 6th

House negotiators have reached an agreement on the parameters of a 9/11-style commission to investigate the "facts and circumstances" surrounding the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol, the House Homeland Security Committee announced Friday.

Why it matters: The formation of a bipartisan Jan. 6 commission had been delayed for months, after some Republicans insisted that the scope of the investigation be expanded to include violence by far-left protesters last summer.

Details, according to the House Homeland Security Committee:

Legislation will establish a 10-person bipartisan commission. Five commissioners, including the chair, will be appointed by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer. The other five, including the vice chair, will be appointed by House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy and Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell.

"The commission will be charged with studying the facts and circumstances of the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol as well as the influencing factors that may have provoked the attack on our democracy," according to the committee.

"Commissioners must have significant expertise in the areas of law enforcement, civil rights, civil liberties, privacy, intelligence and cybersecurity. Current government officers or employees are prohibited from appointment."

The commission will be granted authority to issue subpoenas, which will require agreement between the chair and the vice chair, or a vote by a majority of members.

The commission will be required to issue a final report with findings and recommendations to "prevent future attacks on our democratic institutions" by Dec. 31, 2021.

What to watch: The committee said legislation establishing the commission will be introduced on Friday and is expected to be considered by the House as soon as next week.

"Inaction — or just moving on — is simply not an option," House Homeland Security Chair Bennie Thompson (D-Miss.), who negotiated the deal with ranking member John Katko (R-N.Y.), said in a statement.

The creation of this commission is our way of protecting the U.S. Capitol. After all, the Capitol is not just a historic landmark, it is where our constituents come to see their democracy in action."

"As such, we owe it to the Capitol police and all who enter our citadel of democracy to investigate the attack."
https://www.axios.com/january-6-commiss ... c7b68.html
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Re: Congress to appoint a bi-partisan commission to investigate January 6th

Wingers on committee will blockade, obstruct and turn this into a case of mental masturbation to please the orange scumbag. I do not expect one bit of change from this farce. Hope I'm terribly wrong in my assessment.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Wino wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:58 am Wingers on committee will blockade, obstruct and turn this into a case of mental masturbation to please the orange scumbag. I do not expect one bit of change from this farce. Hope I'm terribly wrong in my assessment.
I'm sure that Schumer and Pelosi are WELL aware of that probability.
However, there IS the possibility that McConnell and even McCarthy see it as an opportunity to break the Trump iron cage they are boxed in. Both know all the claims about the election being stolen are bullshit but to keep their positions they have to ride that wave.
IF the commission is TRULY faithful then either of 2 paths are open to them:
1) One more step in breaking Trump's influence or
2) They can pretend the commission is biased and are already a step away.

Clearly, while they wanted an explicit inclusion of investigation of BLM and Antifa, they've been forced to settle for essentially "Other contributing factors".
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:43 am
Wino wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:58 am Wingers on committee will blockade, obstruct and turn this into a case of mental masturbation to please the orange scumbag. I do not expect one bit of change from this farce. Hope I'm terribly wrong in my assessment.
I'm sure that Schumer and Pelosi are WELL aware of that probability.
However, there IS the possibility that McConnell and even McCarthy see it as an opportunity to break the Trump iron cage they are boxed in. Both know all the claims about the election being stolen are bullshit but to keep their positions they have to ride that wave.

IF the commission is TRULY faithful then either of 2 paths are open to them:
1) One more step in breaking Trump's influence or
2) They can pretend the commission is biased and are already a step away.

Clearly, while they wanted an explicit inclusion of investigation of BLM and Antifa, they've been forced to settle for essentially "Other contributing factors".

I agree YT, they've been negotiating this for a while and Pelosi and Schumer know the pitfalls. Republicans like McCarthy and McConnell don't want open warfare between the wings of the party right now, so they placate both sides to get through the 2022 midterms. Republicans aren't in open warfare but there is wrangling underneath. It will be interesting to see who McCarthy and McConnell agree on to appoint to the commission and if they allow input from Trump.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

They'd be out of their tiny minds to allow Trump to have ANY say at all, unless they can slip "ringers" past him. The asshole ACTUALLY BELIEVED that all his court appointments would AUTOMATICALLY back him in his election challenges and in any other lawsuits, regardless of the facts or the law. When they didn't, over 60+ times, he went fucking BALLISTIC, all the way up to Gorsuch, Kavanaugh , and Barrett!

TFG thinks "Law" is something you use against OTHER people, but can ignore.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."