Re: How Many Cases in Your Town, Village, City, whatever?

I no longer provide primary care (I'm a full time hospitalist and part time ER doc now). When I did, I did the whole she-bang, deliveries, pediatrics, adults, hospital, clinic. Had my share of Anti-Vaxxers. I never let them get under my skin like some docs do. I just kept my doors open to them and made my best recommendations, never buying into their shit but never pressuring them. It's like arguing religion with someone. If they believe, that's it, and not much you can do. Just try to let them build trust in you and maybe they'll come around.

So, I really felt for some of the young moms and dads. Sometimes they were just the super anxious types who were afraid of vaccines, but also afraid of everything and brought their kid in for every little bump and scratch, which on the face of it seems ironic, but again they were just anxious folks sometimes. Sometimes, they were getting heavy pressure from true-believer-anti-vaxxer grandparents. That was pretty sad.

I think since I've left primary care, the full on political crazy has probably gotten more common than the just super anxious parent who worried about things. I think I'd have a harder time now dealing with batshit political craziness.

YankeeTarheel wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:20 am Current # of cases in the USA: 33,519,020
The next doubling point is: 33,554,431 cases.
That's 34,411 more cases to reach that point--we will reach it either tonight or tomorrow.
The previous doubling number was 16,777,215 and we reached that on December 14th, 2020, after just 56 days from the previous double point.

The steepest drop in new cases began when Joe Biden became President replacing the Orange Catastrophe.
33,554,277 case today so far. We're at the doubling point (-154 cases--statistically insignificant difference and we'll pass that in an hour or so) Took 148 days, averaging 113,359 cases / day.
Deaths are over 597,000.

At least both cases and deaths / day are far, FAR lower than when the Orange Catastrophe slunk out of office like the cowardly boor he is.

My town has had 29 more cases this month, and one death, which means we're averaging well over 2 new cases a day.

Edit: As of now, the Worldometer count is now 33,567,103 cases, well over the doubling threshold.
Last edited by YankeeTarheel on Wed May 12, 2021 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

The anti-vaxxers out here that I've encountered are either the health freaks who reject things with the throw away line of "it's not natural". Or the conspiracy types that just add vaccines to the other list of conspiracies they peddle. To me what could be more natural than building up the body's immune system to fight different diseases.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

My county on vaccines:
So far, 36.7% of San Bernardino County residents have received at least one dose and 28.1% are fully vaccinated.

To date, 1,341,774 vaccine doses have been administered. Over the last seven days, an average of 8,457 doses per day have been given out.
Over the past week, the county has averaged 68 new cases and 6.7 new deaths per day.
https://www.latimes.com/projects/califo ... no-county/
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

My county, Essex, NJ, with 800,000 people, has dropped in a month and a half from Extremely High Risk, to Very High Risk, and now, a few days ago, to High Risk.
Total new cases in the county were 109, with 4 deaths.
We are getting much better here! And I "blame" it all on Biden and the Democrats, because he/they almost immediately undid the vicious criminal stupidity of TFG that cost hundreds of thousands of lives.

Nationally, we have been below 1,000 daily deaths since early April. Daily cases are under 40K. 2 days after the insurrection, daily cases peaked at over 300,000. Deaths peaked at over 4,300 when Biden became President.

This is the very definition of Good Government, and following the Preamble's promise "to promote the general welfare", which the GQP considers a joke and an impediment to their power.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Keep reading about people being "confused" about CDC mask order. I'm at a loss as to why anyone would be confused. For me, it's simple - I will still wear a mask when in stores or crowded areas - period. I'm fully vaccinated but will continue to lean toward prevention no matter what our dumbassed guv says.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Wino wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:42 am Keep reading about people being "confused" about CDC mask order. I'm at a loss as to why anyone would be confused. For me, it's simple - I will still wear a mask when in stores or crowded areas - period. I'm fully vaccinated but will continue to lean toward prevention no matter what our dumbassed guv says.

It's still required in CA but there is pressure to get it abolished. People are antsy to get rid of them, especially the tourists here. It's part of my routine now, before I leave the house I grab my wallet, mobile phone, keys and a mask.

Ate out for the first time in a year this weekend. Family obligations.

Now, my immune system knows SARS-CoV-2 the way a felon knows their parole officer, or a divorcee their spouse's attorney. Which is to say, it's not a friendly relationship based on past experience, and there have been too many of them. Still wore a mask when I wasn't eating. Have discovered that I have developed a reflexively negative association with unmasked strangers indoors. It isn't an assessment of personal risk - it's an assessment of their intelligence, culture, perspective on public health and conscientiousness. Like watching someone come out of a bathroom stall and walk out without washing their hands.

Not thrilled by the idea that I won't be able to identify sociopaths or dangerous fools on sight as easily once summer kicks in.

YankeeTarheel wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 6:50 pm
wings wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 6:46 pm
Not thrilled by the idea that I won't be able to identify sociopaths or dangerous fools on sight as easily once summer kicks in.
If they are running for office as Republicans or trying to get you to ransomware protection, you'll know!

What worries me is people who work in health care, I delayed medical and dental appoints until I was fully vaccinated. But no one at my physician or dentist's office wanted to talk about how many people in their office were vaccinated. This is a WaPo article on March 19th.
According to a Washington Post-Kaiser Family Foundation poll, barely half of front-line healthh-care workers (52 percent) said they had received at least their first vaccine dose at the time they were surveyed. More than 1 in 3 said they were not confident vaccines were sufficiently tested for safety and effectiveness.

The nationally representative survey of 1,327 front-line health-care workers, conducted Feb. 11 through March 7, illustrates the challenges ahead as vaccine advocates try to persuade a wider population — with less familiarity with medicine — to get vaccinated.

While about 2 in 10 health-care workers said they had scheduled a shot or were planning to, 3 in 10 health-care workers said they were unsure about getting vaccinated or not planning to do so. As many as 1 in 6 health workers said that if employers required them to get vaccinated, they would leave their job.
Vaccination rates are particularly low among health-care workers who are Black, those in lower-paying jobs such as home health aides and those with less education. Partisan politics also play a role, with more Democrats saying they have been vaccinated and Republicans more likely to express uncertainty or concerns about the vaccines.
The Post-KFF survey is the most comprehensive survey of vaccine adoption across the health-care workforce, encompassing those working in hospitals, assisted-living facilities, patients’ homes and other health-care delivery settings. Other studies echo the findings.
Even among health-care workers — who have seen the devastation of the virus up close and work in a field rooted in science — 36 percent expressed doubts about the safety and efficacy of the vaccines, a rate that closely mirrors that of the general public.
One of the starkest numbers from the poll shows that 16 percent of health-care workers would rather give up their jobs than get vaccinated. The poll finds 58 percent of health-care workers who are not self-employed support their employer requiring all workers to be vaccinated. Among Americans who are not health workers, 70 percent say people who work with patients should be required to get a coronavirus vaccine.

“I’d quit if work told me I had to take it,” said Sandy Hull, 65, a registered nurse who lives just outside Indianapolis. She works in a prison and in a behavioral health setting for adolescents. “I wouldn’t run the risk of ruining my health to continue working.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2 ... d-vaccine/

We could very well get to the point where we need to show that we've been vaccinated, I keep a copy of my CDC vaccination card on my mobile phone. I recall reading that one cruise ship company was refusing to accept FL passengers because DeSantis the governor issued an executive order against COVID passports.

Anti-vaxxers are now convinced they’ll inherit the earth as lone survivors after vaccines kill everyone else

Some users on the TikTok social media app seem to think they'll be left with the world to themselves after vaccinated people die off.

The videos, hashtagged with "#unvaccinated" and other high-interest terms designed to appear on users' "For You" recommendations, have been viewed thousands and thousands of times, and are just a fraction of the misinformation spread on the platform, reported Vice.

"I am Optimus Prime," says one video, using audio from the 2007 movie "The Transformers," "and I send this message to any surviving Autobots taking refuge among the stars. We are here. We are waiting."

TikTok has been major source of coronavirus misinformation throughout the pandemic, and this latest trend of anti-vaccine content is promoted by the platform's algorithms and widely viewed

It's not clear whether the TikTok users genuinely believe that vaccine recipients will die in "three years, as a generous estimate," as one users puts it, and some posts link those claims to the conspiracy theory that Bill Gates and other elites are using the doses to depopulate the world.

The videos also fit into a broader trend of TikTok users -- many wearing MAGA hats and clothing with pro-police messages -- who can't be forced to comply with "experimental treatments" recommended by the medical establishment.

These users insist the COVID-19 vaccines were unsafely rushed onto the market, although both Moderna and Pfizer are seeking full FDA approval for their vaccines and hesitancy is quickly dropping.
https://www.rawstory.com/unvaccinated-tiktok/

Yes, they will inherit the earth. A plot 3 feet by 6 feet by 6 feet deep.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

The CDC mask order is premature IMO.
You can still contact covid and spread it although the percentage rate is lower. Course our governor in AZ passed on responsibility to the county and city because he is spineless (cept when he didn't answer trumps call) like his GOP kin. That cost us many lives.
My feeling towards anti-vaxxsers is well, let mother nature do her work. Thin the stupid herd. However its going to cost more lives.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

Gov. Greg. Abbott says no public schools or government entities will be allowed to require masks

Gov. Greg Abbott announced Tuesday that public schools can no longer require masks on their campuses starting June 5. The decision was part of a new executive order that bans government entities in Texas — like cities and counties — from mandating masks in the fight against the coronavirus pandemic.

Starting Friday, any government entity that tries to impose a mask mandate can face a fine of up to $1,000, according to the order. The order exempts state-supported living centers, government-owned or -operated hospitals, Texas Department of Criminal Justice facilities, Texas Juvenile Justice Department facilities, and county and municipal jails.

The order is arguably the most consequential for public schools. After Abbott ended the statewide mask requirement in early March, school systems were allowed to continue with their own mask-wearing policies unchanged. But after June 4, "no student, teacher, parent, or other staff member or visitor may be required to wear a face covering," according to Abbott's new order.

While 30% of Texans have been fully vaccinated against COVID-19, the vast majority of children are unvaccinated. The Pfizer vaccine was authorized last week for children as young as 12. The Moderna and Johnson & Johnson vaccines are still only authorized for those 18 and older. School-age children have seen lower infection rates than other age groups. COVID-19 cases among those 5-17 years old make up 10% of total cases in the country, according to the latest data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Last week, the CDC said fully vaccinated people no longer have to wear masks outdoors in crowds and in most indoor places.

The Texas State Teachers Association called Abbott's latest move premature. In a statement, the head of the association, Ovidia Molina, said Abbott should have waited until the CDC issued updated guidance on masks for the 2021-22 school year. Molina acknowledged that some Texas school districts have already ended their mask requirements but said the association believes "that also is ill-advised."

"The health and safety of our students, educators and communities must remain our first priority as we attempt to emerge from this pandemic," Molina said.

Abbott's new rules will take effect as the school year is winding down for most students — or already over. The last day of classes for the state's biggest school district, Houston ISD, is June 11. May 27 is the last day for some students in the state's second-biggest district, Dallas ISD.

The Texas American Federation of Teachers was also critical of Abbott's decision, calling it "unconscionable" given that a vaccine is not yet available for kids under 12 years old. Even if the normal school year is coming to a close, both TSTA and Texas AFT noted Abbott's order will impact students who attend in-person summer school.

Austin ISD Superintendent Stephanie Elizalde said the district will continue to ask everyone on its campuses to wear masks through June 4. After that, she noted, "there is nothing in the Governor’s order that forbids people from wearing masks. It only means we cannot require them."

The governor's most recent order comes roughly two and a half months after Abbott lifted the statewide mask mandate. In that order, he said "no person may be required by any jurisdiction" to wear a mask. Now, he is saying a specific type of jurisdiction — government entities — can face a penalty for mandating masks.

Despite dire warnings about the potential impact of that decision, key pandemic metrics in Texas have not spiked since then and have gone down in most cases. On Sunday, the state health department had its first day in over a year without reporting a COVID-19 death.

"The Lone Star State continues to defeat COVID-19 through the use of widely-available vaccines, antibody therapeutic drugs, and safe practices utilized by Texans in our communities," Abbott said in a statement on his latest order. "We can continue to mitigate COVID-19 while defending Texans' liberty to choose whether or not they mask up."

After Abbott initially lifted the statewide mask policy, some local governments said they would continue to require masks. Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton sued Austin and Travis County over their plan to continue mandating masks, and in late March, a district judge denied Paxton's request for a temporary halt of the local mask requirement.

Abbott's latest order leaves untouched the ability of private businesses to require their customers or workers to wear masks.

Despite ending the statewide mask requirement, Abbott has continued to take hits from some fellow Republicans over his pandemic response. One of them, former state Sen. Don Huffines of Dallas, launched a primary challenge to Abbott last week and said after Abbott's announcement Tuesday that Texas "never should have never allowed mask mandates in the first place."
https://www.texastribune.org/2021/05/1 ... k-mandate/

CDC says no mask for those vaccinated they still say those not fully vaccinated still need masks. I guess Abbott is thinking his anti-vaxxers supporters are being discriminated against because they refuse the vaccine and would have to wear a mask.

Expect a spike and he can sit on it.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Vaccinations don't completely prevent transmission, but they severely limit the impact of infection in the rare cases where the vaccinated contract the virus.

I can understand Darwinians celebrating the unmasking. At this point, nigh everyone who wants to get shot, can get shot. So to speak. Hey, it's a gun forum.

Still, I worry about kids, since the shots aren't approved for them yet. I've close friends who went through truly obscene fertility treatments to get their younglings. I can afford to be dismissive of the risk for those who choose to tempt fate. As a vaccinated survivor, I can afford to be cavalier for myself. The innocent? Different story. There are still too many disadvantaged people who haven't had the chance to get shot yet. Work / life balance was hard enough before Covid.