A beautiful day for the range

No, the other range. Don't worry, I hit that one too. Too nice a day not to shoot.
Other range day.jpg
The new toy is a 45# recurve - picked up a cheap OMP Smoky Mountain Hunter and some pre-made carbon fiber arrows with some of that sweet, sweet stimulus money. Hate to admit how long it's been since I played archery, but either my form has slipped or this shoots way higher than I'm used to. Will be adjusting form, either way - first arrow went through a 2x4 about a yard above my aim point at 10 yards. Field points or no, yikes! After a little adjustment, 40 yard shots were no problem, but definitely not up to firearm standards.

Had a lovely day out with the handguns, too. They were very nicely behaved, played nicely, cleaned up well.

Re: A beautiful day for the range

That sure looks nice. My 50# recurve looks just like that. Just today I picked up a dozen arrows I ordered last week. Plus, I had to get some bear hair carpet for my rest.

If you click it, it's right side up.
P1010185_1.JPG

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

I dropped less than $200 on what you see there - the bow kit, four prefab arrows cut close enough to my draw length to try out, a cheap nylon belt quiver and rubber arrow puller. Let me note for the record that the last item was a godsend. Stringer came with the bow - the days of fiberglass bows you could string without one are gone. I've never been to an archery range where another person was shooting - there was a van loitering in the lot when I got there this time, but I think they were shocked to see someone actually come out to shoot.

Ammo prices where they are, I'm liable to spend a lot more range trips with the bows for the near future.

These new wood and fiberglass laminated take down bows are great. Inexpensive, and you can leave them strung for a year. I unstring during my off month, but I leave it strung rest of the time. Just shot today. It's a great feeling. Yeah, it's also cheaper year to year than shooting guns. Both is sweet.

CDFingers

Shooting rifles is way easier than archery, no matter the bow. However, one neat thing all experienced compound bow shooters can attest to, using sights they can beat a hand gun at 25 yards every time. Only takes five shots for the hand gun guy to give up. True story, bro.

CDFingers

I tend to get back into archery every decade or so. It's quiet, so peaceful. There's an element of physical grace to it that's missing with gunpowder, which is why I preferred it for a very long time. The ability to blast a chunk of steel and carbon through a 2x4, with relative tranquility? Priceless.

And there's a fawn running sprints back and forth through my backyard right now.

You have a fawn, we have possums. Polly and Pepe. The eat our old cat's food. Mysteriously we have crickets no longer. The possums are cute, though. As an old fart, I'm up in the middle of the night and I'll spot them. I was with a flashlight on the path out back the other night and bumped into Polly. She went that way and I went the other way. Both slowly, but going. If I leave to door open for the cats, the possums come right in. They prefer the crunchies to the gushy foods. I think they live either under the house or up in the garage. I suppose that discovery will get my heart beating a bit faster. So far they're just coexisting along with the cats.

CDFingers

Nearly hit a possum last night. Pretty sure I gauged the distance and timing so that one tire went behind it, one passed in front, then stopped long enough for the little marsupial to continue shuffling across the road underneath. Didn't feel anything.

Back on point, I took a look at prices for bow sights, blanched, and made a point of breaking years of habit sighting down the arrow. Now that I know where to sight off of the bow naturally - the inflection point on the hollow for the grip - my grouping has tightened up considerably. Back up to handgun standards. Much happier. Well, with my archery skills, anyway.

Watched my .45 groups close up pretty well through an hour at the other range. Pretty sure "one ragged hole" isn't supposed to be the size of a fist, but I'll take it.