Re: Fifteen Percent Of U.S. Air Force F-35s Don’t Have Working Engines

wings wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:51 pm Anyone else remember the flaming deathtrap that was the Bradley IFV?

Now, I believe the design is compromised AF. I also believe in the principle of open-source coding, where publicizing hax and design flaws helps speed up the patch rollout and leads to better, more secure software faster than otherwise. I expect if the F-35 ever sees combat, it will turn out to be totally inadequate at the tasks that its predecessors performed with panache - looking at you, A-10 - yet surprisingly good at weird new niche stuff - think EF-111.
A-10 IS a better jet for CAS..why it's not being retired. The EF-18G is much better than the EA-6B or the EF-111 or the F-4G..BUT EF-111 is a really, really old airframe and it would make no sense to throw $ at reopening that assembly line(all the 'gear' disposed of anyway). The USAF DOES need a new 'weasel'...
I expect if the F-35 ever sees combat, it will turn out to be totally inadequate at the tasks that its predecessors performed with panache
The next airwar will not only be at night, it will also be in a Sam hostile environment. The only jets that will survive are 5th gen..as in, stealthy. 4th gen..all but the F-22, B-2 and F-35..are very vulnerable. You can paint these relics(all 4th gen..F-18/22/35/16/15..etc.Rafale/EuroFighter/Flanker/Fulcrum/Gripen/Chengdu, etc) all you want with fancy paint but 5th gen/stealthy is the future in air warfare.

Next real air war will be with AI Drones controlled from a safe bunker a long way away. By removing the human in the cockpit limitations you can build a drone that can out fly and fight any manned aircraft.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

TrueTexan wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:09 am Next real air war will be with AI Drones controlled from a safe bunker a long way away. By removing the human in the cockpit limitations you can build a drone that can out fly and fight any manned aircraft.
Welcome to close air support in Afghanistan.
tonguengroover wrote: Watching the Olympics opening with 1,800 drones converging into sphere gives one food for thought about future air warfare.
The potential use of widespread drone warfare in conjunction with modern AI analytics should give everybody pause. Genocide gets a lot easier from here on out.

TrueTexan wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:09 am Next real air war will be with AI Drones controlled from a safe bunker a long way away. By removing the human in the cockpit limitations you can build a drone that can out fly and fight any manned aircraft.
Maybe someday but not today. Until the 'pilot' has 360 degree views, as easy as turning your head..and the ability to make that instant decision based on that eye-ball info...UAVs are great for integrated tankers, reconn, data collection, etc..Also for air to ground stuff in a fairly benign environment.

But lots of standoff UAVs to stop a bunch of manned bombers? Maybe but not in any visual arena.

lurker wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:08 am we all have our areas of expertise. mine is nonsensical minutia. even so, there are people who are better at it than i am.
My area of expertise is old radio and TV jingles from the 70s and 80s. Not by choice. I just can't get them out of my head.

Anyone remember the Dancing Fig Newton? "Ooey gooey rich and chewy inside, rich and flakey tender cakey outside. Wrap in the inside in the outside. Is it good? Darn tootin! It's the big Fig Newton!"

If you're like me that'll stay in your head all day. Sorry.

sikacz wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:55 am
lurker wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:42 am the circle is now complete.
Yep. I could repeat my response as well. LoL.
Gee, I thought this was a discussion group..not who can 'win' a discussion.

Maybe when I am fish food(yup, want to be buried at sea)..UAVs might be the swirling air battle of the future but by then, the F35 and probably it's replacement will be on sticks at military bases all over the US.
F-104_GANG.jpg

F4FEver wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:39 am

Maybe when I am fish food(yup, want to be buried at sea)..UAVs might be the swirling air battle of the future but by then, the F35 and probably it's replacement will be on sticks at military bases all over the US. F-104_GANG.jpg
Point is you made a point and now you’re repeating it. Has it changed anyone’s opinion on the second try. It hasn’t mine. I’m not a romantic and don’t believe the noble hero scenario when it comes to war. War will be waged in whatever way is most expedient and likely to deliver a decisive win. I’m not saying technology is the ultimate weapon, sometimes it’s an Achilles heel when it fails.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

sikacz wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:57 am
F4FEver wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:39 am

Maybe when I am fish food(yup, want to be buried at sea)..UAVs might be the swirling air battle of the future but by then, the F35 and probably it's replacement will be on sticks at military bases all over the US. F-104_GANG.jpg
Point is you made a point and now you’re repeating it. Has it changed anyone’s opinion on the second try. It hasn’t mine. I’m not a romantic and don’t believe the noble hero scenario when it comes to war. War will be waged in whatever way is most expedient and likely to deliver a decisive win. I’m not saying technology is the ultimate weapon, sometimes it’s an Achilles heel when it fails.
Fair enough, just trying to share 'my' POV with regards to air warfare in general and what I 'know' about the F-35...The 'air next war will be with drones' was mentioned more than once too.

lurker wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:12 am too much talk. can we get some more airplane pics in here?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airco_DH. ... 2_ExCC.jpg
i'd even be happy with UAVs
VX-4..when I was XO.
Got 4 A-4M from the reserves when I was at VF-126
Painted the tails Iraqi flags instead of Red Stars..during first Gulf War-Pacific Fleet Adversary Squadron NOT 'topgun'..
f14-photo-vx4-01xl11.jpg
Last edited by F4FEver on Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Attachments
a-right-side-view-of-a-fighter-squadron-126-vf-126-a-4f-skyhawk-aircraft-camouflaged-c7c255-1024.jpg
A-4M_Skyhawk_pf_VF-126_at_NAS_Miramar_1992.JPEG