Re: Court rules families of Sandy Hook shooting victims can sue gunmaker Remington over 2012 attack

U.S. Supreme Court will not shield gun maker from Sandy Hook lawsuit
The plaintiffs have argued that Remington bears some of the blame for the Sandy Hook tragedy. They said the Bushmaster AR-15 gun that Lanza used - a semi-automatic civilian version of the U.S. military's M-16 - had been illegally marketed by the company to civilians as a combat weapon for waging war and killing human beings.

The plaintiffs said that Connecticut's consumer protection law forbids advertising that promotes violent, criminal behavior and yet even though these rifles have become the "weapon of choice for mass shooters" Remington's ads "continued to exploit the fantasy of an all-conquering lone gunman." One of them, they noted, stated, "Forces of opposition, bow down."
The case hinges on an exception to this shield for claims in which a gun manufacturer knowingly violates the law to sell or market guns. Remington has argued that the Connecticut Supreme Court interpreted the exception too broadly when it decided to let the case go ahead.

Re: Court rules families of Sandy Hook shooting victims can sue gunmaker Remington over 2012 attack

Supreme Court allows families of Sandy Hook shooting victims to sue gunmaker Remington
The narrow state court decision limited liability for gunmakers based on how they advertise their firearms, rather than on the sale to third parties who go on to commit crimes. In its ruling, the court said companies that market military-style guns to civilians as a way of killing enemies could be violating state fair trade laws.

Even so, the decision was seen as having broad implications for gun-control advocates across the country who have had little success in seeking ways to hold gunmakers responsible for crimes committed with their products.

Firearms company Remington had convinced a lower court that federal law prevented the families’ lawsuit. But Connecticut’s high court said that the law had exceptions and that one of them was meant for state consumer protection laws.

I'm going to go and make myself unpopular again, but I think it was the right decision. The coverage I read was that Remington was running ads saying one person can take on the world. “Forces of opposition, bow down. You are single-handedly outnumbered.” Someone above asked if you could sue car companies for drunk driving deaths. If Tesla had an ad, "drives you home when you're too drunk to drive yourself" you probably could.

Hopefully it will stop them from feeding the positive feedback loop through marketing this way. They’re doing the same thing that alcohol companies and soda companies and junk food companies are doing: feeding into the cravings of their biggest users. They’re doing it by feeding the lone-wolf, I alone can solve it through the force of arms guy.

bajajoaquin wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:24 pm Hopefully it will stop them from feeding the positive feedback loop through marketing this way. They’re doing the same thing that alcohol companies and soda companies and junk food companies are doing: feeding into the cravings of their biggest users. They’re doing it by feeding the lone-wolf, I alone can solve it through the force of arms guy.
Yeah, that's about right. Sort of makes me blush as a gun owner from time to time when I see that kind of pandering for profit. Humans: some caution required.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Have you read Salt, Sugar, Fat? It's about how the food industry targets people. Very informative.

I don't read any gun press, so I haven't seen any gun ads. The copy was a surprise to me when I read it. But it made total sense. It's part of the bigger picture of how the industry and conservative establishment has redirected the conversation about guns.

I concur. The suit is not about anything other than the advertising laws. You cannot incite bad behavior in advertising and not expect to reap the responsibilities of your words. Here, the charge is that Remington (and other gun manufacturers) drummed up the aspect of force and violence that their product excelled at, a sort of Toxic Masculinity embodied in a full page ad. Welp, considering that in the halcyon days of old Remington probably used to advertise their guns with a “father and son duck hunt” kinda motif you can see what today’s lawsuit is about.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

‘We are pleased’: Judge rules Sandy Hook families can ask gunmaker about its policies
NEWTOWN — Remington executives will have to answer questions under oath about their internal operations and policies from lawyers representing 10 Sandy Hook families in their longstanding wrongful death lawsuit.

A Superior Court judge this week permitted the 10 families suing Remington over the 2012 Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting to ask the gunmaker’s executives questions that Remington considers invasive and improper.

Both sides are preparing for a 2021 trial in what has become the nation’s highest profile case of families suing a gunmaker over a mass killing.

"Remington offers $33 million to families of Sandy Hook school shooting victims"

Remington offers $33 million to families of Sandy Hook school shooting victims
In a February court filing, their lawyers estimated that wrongful death claims likely totaled more than $225 million, and total claims including punitive damages could exceed $1 billion.

Josh Koskoff, one of the families' lawyers, on Tuesday said his clients would "consider their next steps" in response to the offer from Huntsville, Alabama-based Remington.

"Since this case was filed in 2014, the families' focus has been on preventing the next Sandy Hook," Koskoff said in a statement. "An important part of that goal has been showing banks and insurers that companies that sell assault weapons to civilians are fraught with financial risk."

Had not thought about the advertisement issue either. Been years since I subscribed to any of the gun mags. I do recall one ad that showed a fellow, camo face, outfit, AR, tactical widgets all around, with the caption, “For your next tactical adventure”. Both my wife and I were in the Army, that's where we met. She saw the ad and asked should civilians be having tactical adventures? This reminded me of that.

I own an AR-15, bought it many years ago for range practice so I wouldn't be such a slouch during weapons qualification. Don't use it much anymore. Thought about selling it many more times than I've fired it in the past couple of decades, but can't seem to go thru with it.

Adventure awaits!
This isn't going well, is it?

Considering the second amendment expresses the need for an armed civilian populace in case needed, I suspect “tactical adventures” are also implied. That said, tactical adventures are not my thing, however a civilian semi-automatic is not equivalent to a full automatic capable military M16. This law suit is BS and detracts from addressing the basic reasons for violence. How much effort has gone into analyzing why this event occurred? None. Root cause is not about gun restrictions or law suits to bankrupt gun makers, it’s about understanding what drives different people to violence.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

DispositionMatrix wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:05 am My guess is neither that ad nor any other had anything to do with why the shooter murdered 27 people, but blaming the marketing behind the firearms is the approach the lawyers took for this lawsuit to get around the PLCAA.
I agree.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

DispositionMatrix wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:05 am My guess is neither that ad nor any other had anything to do with why the shooter murdered 27 people, but blaming the marketing behind the firearms is the approach the lawyers took for this lawsuit to get around the PLCAA.
I agree completely that ad copy does not derange the mind or is in anyway responsible for the actions of those unwilling or unable to exercise moral restraint. My story was purely anecdotal.

My wife was an officer in the medical branch, while I was an enlisted radar operator in a combat arms brigade. She don't know tactical from technical anyhow, and neither of us gave a shit about their policy on fraternization. They bent my dog tags, but I still celebrate birthdays.

Does anyone know if or how this lawsuit has affected the trigger recall? Or is that all over and done with?
This isn't going well, is it?

As much as I dislike Remington as a company, I just can't see any legal merit behind this case. The nutcase killed his mother and basically stole the weapon before committing this tragedy. Neither the gun store or Remington had anything to do with the shooter himself. But then I forget this is all political and its the firearm on trial and not the actual killer, silly me.