Home defense shotgun red dot

Did a quick search and didn't see this topic discussed.

I am looking for a red dot that has automatic adjustment to ambient lighting conditions and has auto-off/on feature as well. Idea is to lock up the shotgun and have the red dot ready to go without having to adjust it to turn it on.

I have looked at Rijicon, Aimpoint, Holosun, Sightmark, Leupold, Vortex, (and probably some other manufacturers that escape me at the moment) and have trouble selecting something appropriate. Looking for more suggestions.

Some other questions:

If I want to use the same red dot in the future for competition (USPSA/IDPA) does it make sense to have a single red dot that fits both roles? (My thinking is that both are mainly short range).

What MOA dot should I be looking at? I have been looking at 4.5-7MOA range.

Any other pointers/etc. are welcome. :) (I have no idea what I am looking for).

Re: Home defense shotgun red dot

Thank you for pointing me at Holosun (I briefly looked at their page before). After conferring with my better 3/4, I am set on the HE512 for now (when it becomes available). I am assuming that because it is listed under rifle, it can handle 30 caliber recoil and thus should be fine for anything 12ga that is safe to fire.

Northern wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:42 am Is there a reason why you want the 512 and not the 510? I agree that the “circle-dot” is good for shotgun. I have the 503 on a subgun and find it very fast to pick up and acquire a target.
battery life, cheaper, extremely simple, it takes AAs. Personal aesthetics perhaps? They are tried and true and ever since the recall years, any 512s I've handled have been unstoppable. They are designed to do one thing, and they do it very well.
bearjew wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:44 pm Thank you for pointing me at Holosun (I briefly looked at their page before). After conferring with my better 3/4, I am set on the HE512 for now (when it becomes available). I am assuming that because it is listed under rifle, it can handle 30 caliber recoil and thus should be fine for anything 12ga that is safe to fire.
I have used even some of the smaller optics on a 12g, and had no problem. I have not heard any widespread issues with their quality. Their warranty isn't as good as vortex, but I think it's a better product. I've had several vortexes fail and have to be replaced. I have never had a holosun fail.

Northern wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:42 am Is there a reason why you want the 512 and not the 510? I agree that the “circle-dot” is good for shotgun. I have the 503 on a subgun and find it very fast to pick up and acquire a target.
The Mrs. likes that 512 is fully enclosed instead of open.

510 and the two 512s were the narrowed down choices, she liked the titanium 512.