Blabbers at the range

Over the last year, I’ve enjoyed getting to know various fellow shooters at the outdoor range that I joined. But in the past two months I met several who treated me to unsolicited diatribes about their beliefs about the world, covid, and the past election.

One guy ranted that he was certain that the election was rigged, that Trump has been secretly running the country, that the public’s information on covid is fake, that Fauci is a puppet for Bill Gates, and that we “can’t trust anything that any news source tells us.”

Another explained that covid is a psy op, that it’s a massive experiment to modify our DNA to control us, and that “they” are “trying to control us with something called the Hegelian dialectic.” It was all I could do to not burst out laughing.

Anyone else being “treated” to long winded, one-sided diatribes at their range? What do you do?

Re: Blabbers at the range

Northern wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:25 am Over the last year, I’ve enjoyed getting to know various fellow shooters at the outdoor range that I joined. But in the past two months I met several who treated me to unsolicited diatribes about their beliefs about the world, covid, and the past election.

One guy ranted that he was certain that the election was rigged, that Trump has been secretly running the country, that the public’s information on covid is fake, that Fauci is a puppet for Bill Gates, and that we “can’t trust anything that any news source tells us.”

Another explained that covid is a psy op, that it’s a massive experiment to modify our DNA to control us, and that “they” are “trying to control us with something called the Hegelian dialectic.” It was all I could do to not burst out laughing.

Anyone else being “treated” to long winded, one-sided diatribes at their range? What do you do?
Ear protection. Also, people do not approach me. I'm not there to make friends with anything other than tight groups.

Your ill-informed acquaintance was at least semi-correct about news sources. People are just compelled to believe whichever sources reflect their worldview despite those sources repeatedly reporting in bad faith. Would be lovely to have a genuine source of hard news wholly committed to accuracy in the US, but there must not be a market for it.

I worked a gun show this weekend with a friend...I got an earful from some crazies. One guy told me there are tracking units in all semi-auto rifles, so the government always knows where they are.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

FrontSight wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:34 am I worked a gun show this weekend with a friend...I got an earful from some crazies. One guy told me there are tracking units in all semi-auto rifles, so the government always knows where they are.
I've heard that one elsewhere. I always wondered where the tracker would live where it would not be found.

One could argue Democrats _want_ to be able to track firearms, but they may get the bans they've been seeking before that happens.

https://www.globalavl.com/gps-trackers/ ... acker.html

Yes, news sources reflect bias and some have zero standards for checking facts, corroborating quoted sources, etc.; understanding that, as you do, is different from a flat out rejection of all reported information. And it’s not even the case that this guy rejected everything; he simply rejected everything that didn’t confirm his view. I think there’s a massive difference between that and understanding ways of evaluating sources, understanding how statistics can be framed in misleading ways, etc. The arguments This guy used when talking about specific politicians reminded me of 8 year olds complaining about being wronged during recess.

There have always been people who believed in conspiracy theories as far back as I can remember, they weren't necessarily political, some were about religious or historical events like the Kennedy assassination. Are there more of them now, or did Trump just gave them permission to talk about them or are we just more sensitive to them? Maybe it's a combination of all three, the MSM loves writing about them.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Northern wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:17 am And also — yeah I just should keep my hearing pro on and not talk to people, particularly people who show up with tons of “tactical” gear and proceed to rapid fire with horrible accuracy.

I hear you, my hearing is very good for my age, but I can play the hard of hearing old guy and just move along when I don't want to engage.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Northern wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:17 am And also — yeah I just should keep my hearing pro on and not talk to people, particularly people who show up with tons of “tactical” gear and proceed to rapid fire with horrible accuracy.
Neither of my ranges allow anyone there without eye and ear protection on at all times. One of my ranges has several action shooting pits that are perfect for rapid fire at 30 yards or less. Some take target stands, there are a couple with plate racks, and a few are BYO plates. Much fun when ammo was more plentiful and affordable.

People at my range remove hearing pro when the range is “cold”… I’m just going to keep it on unless I’m there with people who have had productive conversations. I do believe that the connection I’ve formed with some conservative shooters has been a positive one—I’m certain I’ve blown some minds and I’ve been very sympathetic to people’s genuine expressions of dismay concerning their beliefs that their means of home security are at risk of being rendered unlawful. But there is another category of person who is totally one-sided in their conversation and just spouts conspiracy theories.

I saw the best line for these guys in large letters across the top of the back window of a contractors Silverado while riding my bike yesterday.

“Please keep your alternative facts out of my actual reality.”
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

Northern wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:25 am Over the last year, I’ve enjoyed getting to know various fellow shooters at the outdoor range that I joined. But in the past two months I met several who treated me to unsolicited diatribes about their beliefs about the world, covid, and the past election.

Were you loaded? :oops2: :sorry: :surrender:

:drunklep:

If you happen to have silver hair or are at least peppered colored, you can probably get away with just smiling, nodding, and turning back to your lane even if they are mid-sentence. They’ll think you are either deaf or otherwise occupied by old-timers disease.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Looking like an old serial killer has worked for me. Same as when I use to fly a lot - I'm not on this plane for a chat look.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

That must be a look perfected through years of in-the-mirror training. Jim Carrey did something similar I’m sure.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Everywhere I go, I don’t try to strike up a conversation with anyone I don’t know. Sure, I might be missing a few human being gems out there, but I also miss all the RWNJs too… I live in “Trump Country” so I just figure the odds are against me of making any friends; that goes for the range too. I conduct myself in a business like manner, and make zero attempts to even make eye contact with others. I am primarily concerned with my groups and making sure the other denizens of the range adhere to the firearm safety rules. I much prefer to shoot on my own property by my rifles are too loud and the range is too short. So unfortunately, I must venture out to shoot adjacent to the filthy deplorables.

Sure, I’d like to meet some like minded people, with similar interests … but we are spread far too thin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mildly related: Had some guy make fun of me up and down and left and right at the range late 2019 because I was "wasting my time" handloading 9mm. Guess who hasn't had to buy a brick of factory 9mm since March 2020? :yahoo: :lol: :ras:
“Everyone smiles with that invisible gun to their head.”

― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

The closest range to me is the same distance to forest service land and millions of acres of nothing but desert. The range is concrete and steel roof. I hate it, it's F'ing loud! I hate people I don't know shooting God knows what POS four feet away from me. I don't know if they know shit about guns. And I can spot a trumper a mile away. So I stay miles away.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

I make it a point to hit my range when there's damn near nobody else. I've never had a negative interaction. The RO has made an effort to keep the place relatively nonpartisan although vehemently 2A. There's an indoor range closer, but the best I can say about them is that the Trump banner disappeared after the 6th of January. Which honestly is more than can be said for some of the property owners locally.

I have uncharitable thoughts about them, but I do try to keep them in check. After all,
Lao Tzu wrote:“Watch your thoughts, they become your words; watch your words, they become your actions; watch your actions, they become your habits; watch your habits, they become your character; watch your character, it becomes your destiny.”