Range Debris

Have you ever wondered what 6 months of range leavins' looks like? I found this outside my Local indoor range.
Yes, those are all full of, not brass, but lead and copper.
Range Debris.jpg
Never confuse knowledge with intelligence.
Attachments
Range Debris 2.jpg

Re: Range Debris

Dang!! Those suckers gotta be heavy - no wonder why on a small pallet. Surprised no "Toxic Content" stickers on those little Gaylord bags. Would be curious as to how they clean up material and separate the metals for recycle. Surely this doesn't go into a landfill - or I hope not.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Yup. A pot of that range scrap atop a turkey frier works wonders. The copper jackets just kinda float on the top of a molten silver lake waiting to be skimmed off. Good idea to wear a respirator but lead melts pretty quickly so you can keep the fire low when it starts to liquify to prevent vaporizing the lead.

Never did find a place interested i recycling the leftover “copper” jackets though.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

I read some of the symptoms of lead poisoning is anger and difficulty concentrating... fairly convinced the GQP crowd has been snorting lead fumes for a while now.

But seriously, when the EPA managed to remove lead from automobile fuels, the subsequent decades saw a measurable and steady decline of murder and violent crimes in this country.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

True: lead poisoning is cumulative. Your body can't get rid of it, so it's best not to let it get in there. Indoor ranges must have excellent ventillation. Always wash hands before leaving the indoor range. Carry diaper wipes for cleaing hands at the range. Always wash hands after handling ammo or bullets--even brass, which has lead in it.

There is exactly zero downside to being lead-aware. Zero.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

When I was a kid we used to sneak onto the Army rifle range and get the bullets out of the sand backstop. We learned the hard way that molten lead:
a) Will definitely melt a plastic jello mold;
b) Will ruin your best friend's mom's Revere Ware cooking pot.
:lol:
LGC #58559867
אבראהאדאברא
θέλημα Αγάπη

cooper wrote:Being relatively new to all this, my question is. Anyone here routinely test their lead levels?
Actually yes. One of My adopted daughters came to me through the foster system with extremely high levels of lead toxicity, with at least 3 exposures. We worked for 4 years to get her lead levels down to below 10 mcg/DL. (Normal is below 2.) she does suffer from many of the classic lead toxicity symptoms, however she has severe trauma as well; so sometimes it’s hard to bucketize everything.

Her lead doctor thought it would be a good idea to box up all my reloading gear and send it away for awhile… which I did for about a year. I had the county come out and swab the whole area with lead test strips and there was nothing out of the ordinary including in the bench area I reloaded. I had my blood drawn & tested - also nothing. The point was to rule out any variables.

The point being, you pretty much have to ingest it, which we think she did when she was starving. If you live In A lead pipe & paint free home & wash your hands after reloading, lead bullets you should be perfectly safe. I also wear a Kn-95 mask while casting as an additional precaution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I became lead-aware in the 80's when I worked nine years as a pipe organ builder. We cast our own pipes from lead and tin. At the beginning of the nine years we were tested. The Master was very aware. Nine years later my lead levels were the same despite my being on the casting team and the pipe making team.

It's true: just don't ingest it. When we made lead dust when we swept the shop, we always wore masks. I still use that same awareness.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

INVICTVS138 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:49 am The point being, you pretty much have to ingest it, which we think she did when she was starving. If you live In A lead pipe & paint free home & wash your hands after reloading, lead bullets you should be perfectly safe. I also wear a Kn-95 mask while casting as an additional precaution.

Sorry to read about her troubles Not only the lead ingestion, but starvation during the childhood developmental stage of growth can also contribute to neurologic developmental issues.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

TrueTexan wrote:
INVICTVS138 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:49 am The point being, you pretty much have to ingest it, which we think she did when she was starving. If you live In A lead pipe & paint free home & wash your hands after reloading, lead bullets you should be perfectly safe. I also wear a Kn-95 mask while casting as an additional precaution.

Sorry to read about her troubles Not only the lead ingestion, but starvation during the childhood developmental stage of growth can also contribute to neurologic developmental issues.
Thank you. It’s emotional ups and downs for her (and us!) some days but we love her and will do everything we can to get her the care & love she needs. We have definitely fought with our backwards, school district, foster care agency, county and the juvenile court system to get her the services she needs. She has come very far in the 4.5 years she’s been with us.