Massachusetts state senate Democrats push microstamping bill

https://malegislature.gov/Bills/192/S94 ... /Bill/Text
Commencing 3 years after the passage of this bill, persons licensed under section 122 or section 122B must only sell guns designed or equipped with the ability to microstamp ammunition, by etching or otherwise imprinting a microscopic array of characters that identify the make, model, and serial number of the firearms in two or more places on the interior surface of the internal working parts of the firearm, and that are transferred by imprinting on each cartridge case when the firearm is fired.
Twenty-second, That no licensee shall sell, rent, lease, transfer or deliver or offer for sale, lease, transfer or delivery, any firearm to any purchaser in the commonwealth unless the firearm has the ability to microstamp its ammunition with two unique parts of the firearm.
All firearms of new manufacture with the capacity to eject spent cartridges manufactured, delivered to any licensed dealer within the commonwealth, or owned by any individual holding a Massachusetts issued firearm license shall be designed or equipped with the ability to microstamp ammunition commencing three years after the passage of this bill. The manufacturer of said firearm shall keep records of said serial numbers and the dealer, distributor or person to whom the firearm was sold or delivered.

Re: Massachusetts state senate Democrats push microstamping bill

lurker wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:55 pm
sikacz wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:19 pm There should be a requirement legislators understand the subject before they can propose and enact legislation.
well that would disqualify them from just about everything.

i'm not clear on what this is supposed to accomplish. are they planning to be able to trace shell casings back to the original purchaser of the gun? what if the gun was sold before this rule? what if i replace the firing pin? what if the gun was stolen from the original owner? what about guns that come in from out of state? what if i file a tiny little bit off the tip of the firing pin?
Exactly. They don’t need to be an expert, but understanding the limits of what is and is not possible is a minimum bar. It’s meant to make gun ownership and use impossible. It’s a dishonest approach since it doesn’t do anything to reduce violence or actually solve crimes.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

SubRosa wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:00 pm Microstampers will also have to be powered by perpetual motion technology.

It's good for the environment, ya know...

SR
I've been expecting some environmental vectors of attack against firearm ownership. Obviously, they could start with the nastiness that exists in the propellant in ammo. Then there are the rounds themselves--heavy metals. The disarmament horde could market it as a false choice between a monolithic block of seething rednecks being able to purchase ammo or the planet surviving.

featureless wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:56 pm You guys do know that microstamping literally stopped gun homicides in California, right? Harris said the technology is totally feasible and legit and then the blood in the streets just stopped. It was fucking incredible.

So sayeth our former AG, then US Senator and now US VP. The Peter Principle exists in the public sector just like the private sector and among appointed and elected officials.
According to the Peter Principle, every position in a given hierarchy will eventually be filled by employees who are incompetent to fulfill the job duties of their respective positions.
https://www.investopedia.com/terms/p/pe ... positions.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

If (when) this ever becomes reality spent stamped brass will become a hot black market item.

A person shot 3 times, and the recovered brass is 1 9mm, 1 .38 and 1 .45 case.

While the recovered projectiles are all .44 mag...

"In every generation there are those who want to rule well - but they mean to rule. They promise to be good masters - but they mean to be masters." — Daniel Webster

INVICTVS138 wrote:Do these people even consider that 3D printers & easily obtained home manufacturing techniques pretty much nullify all these circa 1990 idiotic prohibition measures?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They're already looking at the use of 3D printers as the impetus for more laws. There is nothing for authoritarians not to love about opportunities for more laws.
sbɐɯ ʎʇıɔɐdɐɔ pɹɐpuɐʇs ɟo ןןnɟ ǝɟɐs
ɯɯ6 bdd ɹǝɥʇןɐʍ
13ʞ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ 1ɐ4ɯ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- ɯoɔos0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ ʇuǝɯǝɔɹoɟuǝ ʍɐן sʇןoɔ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- 0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
(béɟ) 59-pɯɐ

DispositionMatrix wrote:
INVICTVS138 wrote:Do these people even consider that 3D printers & easily obtained home manufacturing techniques pretty much nullify all these circa 1990 idiotic prohibition measures?

They're already looking at the use of 3D printers as the impetus for more laws. There is nothing for authoritarians not to love about opportunities for more laws.
“The more corrupt the republic, the more numerous the laws.”

Publius Cornelius Tacitus

I look at laws like this as “gotcha” laws. Made a gun with your 3D printer? You’ll only get caught when they are trying to trump up charges, for some other supposed violation of “mala prohibita.” there is nothing inherently more evil or dangerous to society about making a firearm for your personal use, than purchasing one from “big weapons companies.” They (the state) don’t want you to be able to do that with out permission.

I’m by no means an “anti-state” person, but there are constitutional limits on the state’s powers to tell us what to do, especially when it comes to enumerated rights.