Re: Motorcycles

26
Llew wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:55 pm
Bisbee wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:16 pm
sikacz wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:10 pm ...but spent some time fixing minor electrical issues...
So glad to hear that Triumph is staying true to form.
My dad once bought a beautiful Jaguar sedan from someone who was leaving the country. It was a great car when it ran, which was never.
Joseph Lucas: "Prince of Darkness", "Father of Magical Midnight"!
"The upper class: keeps all of the money, pays none of the taxes. The middle class: pays all of the taxes, does all of the work. The poor are there...just to scare the shit out of the middle class."--George Carlin

Re: Motorcycles

27
Llew wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:04 pm Rolling Thunder I, 1988. I helped do publicity in the DC area leading up to the first ride.
1980s DC Rolling Thunder I 14_s.jpg
Nice!
Image
Image

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Re: Motorcycles

29
sikacz wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:50 am YT, got a pic of that project?
The '71 Zook? Nope. It's in pieces in my shed. This is how it once looked and should look again, but this is not my bike.
Cool little pocket rocket. 30hp, 280 lbs. And yes, that's a left-foot kick starter. While a 2 stroke, it used an oil injection pump so you didn't mix the oil with the gas.
t-250.JPG
"The upper class: keeps all of the money, pays none of the taxes. The middle class: pays all of the taxes, does all of the work. The poor are there...just to scare the shit out of the middle class."--George Carlin

Re: Motorcycles

30
YankeeTarheel wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:49 pm
sikacz wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:50 am YT, got a pic of that project?
The '71 Zook? Nope. It's in pieces in my shed. This is how it once looked and should look again, but this is not my bike.
Cool little pocket rocket. 30hp, 280 lbs. And yes, that's a left-foot kick starter. While a 2 stroke, it used an oil injection pump so you didn't mix the oil with the gas.

t-250.JPG
Cool! Get that baby back on the road!
Image
Image

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Re: Motorcycles

31
sikacz wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:26 pm
YankeeTarheel wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:49 pm
sikacz wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:50 am YT, got a pic of that project?
The '71 Zook? Nope. It's in pieces in my shed. This is how it once looked and should look again, but this is not my bike.
Cool little pocket rocket. 30hp, 280 lbs. And yes, that's a left-foot kick starter. While a 2 stroke, it used an oil injection pump so you didn't mix the oil with the gas.

t-250.JPG
Cool! Get that baby back on the road!
The FZ1 comes first...gotta dig into the schematics on the thing--why it won't even crank with a full battery. And have to fix the tank.
"The upper class: keeps all of the money, pays none of the taxes. The middle class: pays all of the taxes, does all of the work. The poor are there...just to scare the shit out of the middle class."--George Carlin

Re: Motorcycles

36
lurker wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:25 am lately i've been looking at royal enfield's (india) himalayan dual purpose
Royal Enfield’s are supposed to be good motorcycles and at bargain prices.
Image
Image

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Re: Motorcycles

37
I remember the first time I heard about Royal Enfield India's motorcycles--it was in Cycle World in either 1977 or 1978. They were about 30 years out of date even then, slow, underpowered, but surprisingly reliable, albeit simple. And dirt cheap.

Don't expect to be wowed by performance but you may get LOTS of attention from people who either know about REIs, or have never heard, nor seen them. And it should be a reliable bike.
"The upper class: keeps all of the money, pays none of the taxes. The middle class: pays all of the taxes, does all of the work. The poor are there...just to scare the shit out of the middle class."--George Carlin

Re: Motorcycles

39
sikacz wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:48 am It’ll get you where you need to go. I suspect there are aftermarket products to tweak them a bit.
Yup to the first, I dunno to the second. They have generally built simple, low-compression engines that can run on the crappiest gas without blowing up.

I'm not knocking REI. They provide basic reliable transportation to 10s, even 100s of millions of people. Royal Enfield in the UK has been dead for, I'd guess, at least 50 years. They fill a vital need in India.
"The upper class: keeps all of the money, pays none of the taxes. The middle class: pays all of the taxes, does all of the work. The poor are there...just to scare the shit out of the middle class."--George Carlin

Re: Motorcycles

40
YankeeTarheel wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:52 am
sikacz wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:48 am It’ll get you where you need to go. I suspect there are aftermarket products to tweak them a bit.
Yup to the first, I dunno to the second. They have generally built simple, low-compression engines that can run on the crappiest gas without blowing up.

I'm not knocking REI. They provide basic reliable transportation to 10s, even 100s of millions of people. Royal Enfield in the UK has been dead for, I'd guess, at least 50 years. They fill a vital need in India.
Yes, the company has a long history from the U.K. to India. The modern Enfield’s (Royal Enfield’s) are built to last in a harsh environment. They are gaining popularity with people looking for inexpensive basic motorcycles without frills. Some models are popular for cafe racer enthusiasts.
Image
Image

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Re: Motorcycles

41
Some of the parts I ordered needed a bit of work. The front fender came only in brushed aluminum, so I needed to hand polish it.
A before photo.
IMG_9901-FullSizeRender.jpg
And an after.
IMG_9938-FullSizeRender.jpg
Image
Image

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Re: Motorcycles

42
Had to mod a few more bits..the fender delete brake light license plate bracket didn't work as I wanted. So I cut off the license plate holder part.
IMG_9848-FullSizeRender.jpg
Took another license plate holder bracket and
IMG_0192B.JPG
modified it.
IMG_0219B-FullSizeRender.jpg
Image
Image

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Re: Motorcycles

44
lurker wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:27 am well since the chances of finding a redeemable H1 two stroke triple are about nil. or really anything in my price range....
Do you REALLLY want a "Widow-Maker"? The Kawa 500cc and 750cc 2-stroke triples were rockets but were not known for handling, braking, or stability. Strictly in-line street-legal dragsters. I think the 500cc listed for less than $1000.
"The upper class: keeps all of the money, pays none of the taxes. The middle class: pays all of the taxes, does all of the work. The poor are there...just to scare the shit out of the middle class."--George Carlin

Re: Motorcycles

45
YankeeTarheel wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:35 am
lurker wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:27 am well since the chances of finding a redeemable H1 two stroke triple are about nil. or really anything in my price range....
Do you REALLLY want a "Widow-Maker"? The Kawa 500cc and 750cc 2-stroke triples were rockets but were not known for handling, braking, or stability. Strictly in-line street-legal dragsters. I think the 500cc listed for less than $1000.
short answer? yes.
no, NOT strictly in-line dragster. "black rifles are weapons of war"
i rode one for several years in the late 70s, bought it used for $500. funny thing, it was at some big warehouse full of bikes, and i knew that was it the moment i laid eyes on it. took it from florida to colorado once, great ride, smooth, fast, quick, the flex in the frame seemed perfectly natural. it was my first street bike after several smaller dual purpose bikes and i didn't know it was supposed to be extra-super-duper dangerous at the time. when i finally dumped it, it was my own fault, i let the brakes get out of adjustment :wall: :wall: :wall: . much like guns, bikes don't kill, dummies on bikes kill (generally themselves). i loved that bike, should have fixed it, regret letting it go. i'd take another without a moments' hesitation.
never submit! (click "submit" button now.)

Re: Motorcycles

46
lurker wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:41 am
YankeeTarheel wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:35 am
lurker wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:27 am well since the chances of finding a redeemable H1 two stroke triple are about nil. or really anything in my price range....
Do you REALLLY want a "Widow-Maker"? The Kawa 500cc and 750cc 2-stroke triples were rockets but were not known for handling, braking, or stability. Strictly in-line street-legal dragsters. I think the 500cc listed for less than $1000.
short answer? yes.
no, NOT strictly in-line dragster. "black rifles are weapons of war"
i rode one for several years in the late 70s, bought it used for $500. funny thing, it was at some big warehouse full of bikes, and i knew that was it the moment i laid eyes on it. took it from florida to colorado once, great ride, smooth, fast, quick, the flex in the frame seemed perfectly natural. it was my first street bike after several smaller dual purpose bikes and i didn't know it was supposed to be extra-super-duper dangerous at the time. when i finally dumped it, it was my own fault, i let the brakes get out of adjustment :wall: :wall: :wall: . much like guns, bikes don't kill, dummies on bikes kill (generally themselves). i loved that bike, should have fixed it, regret letting it go. i'd take another without a moments' hesitation.
A goal set, start looking! LoL
Image
Image

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Re: Motorcycles

48
lurker wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:18 pm
sikacz wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:48 pm A goal set, start looking! LoL
but.. but... i thought YT had a basket case H1 in his basement?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMbATaj7Il8
No, no, H1 is Kawa. T-250 aka X-6 Hustler was Zook...and it's in my shed--no room in the basement! :roflmao:

That T-s frame was a little flexible as well and the back wheel tended to slip its alignment. When it was aligned, it handled OK. But just a little bit off, and it could wag its little head on turns. Luckily, the tires were the same size so alignment could be down with a piece of mason's line.
"The upper class: keeps all of the money, pays none of the taxes. The middle class: pays all of the taxes, does all of the work. The poor are there...just to scare the shit out of the middle class."--George Carlin

Re: Motorcycles

50
ZenArcade wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:19 pm I'm missing my Yamaha Super Tenere that I sold a few months back ... just getting a bit large/heavy in my old age (51). Now I'm thinking of smaller hooligan bike. Perhaps a KTM 690 enduro or ...
Gee, I remember being 51..........my teen was a toddler...
"The upper class: keeps all of the money, pays none of the taxes. The middle class: pays all of the taxes, does all of the work. The poor are there...just to scare the shit out of the middle class."--George Carlin

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron