Kali Key FAILURE

Hey folks, I'm not sure if anyone else in "restricted" states uses the Kali Key bolt action AR system, but I thought I'd post with an update on mine:
I've been running the Kali Key BCG, bolt and gas key for about a year now with fairly limited use due to ammo shortages/covid restrictions etc. I've only put a couple hundred rounds through it, but during that time I found it to be an ok system for those of us who have to modify our rifles to stay in compliance with CA "assault weapon" laws.
Last week I went out to a buddy's ranch and ran through a couple-few low-cap mags with my brother who I am helping learn to shoot. The rifle ran fine, but when I got home and went to clean it, I found that the charging handle was jammed pretty badly and would not cycle the bolt. After some fiddling I was able to free up the bolt and pull it out, and much to my dismay, the gas key (which just diverts gasses out of the ejection port to prevent auto bolt cycling) had sheared completely in half, wedging itself into the action. Bummer.
I found no signs of damage to the rifle, and I assume it must have happened during ejection of the final round. I contacted Kali Key and heard nothing back for a couple days and tried again. This time they got back to me and promised to send out a replacement that day. The email stated that they had gotten a "bad batch of metal which has since been fixed" which isn't super encouraging seeing as how my bolt and bcg are both Kali Key as well. I'm hoping they send me replacements for these also, but we will see. I still haven't received it five days later, but I'm still hopeful that it's coming. Until then, it's back to the "featurless" setup. :thumbsdown:
Anyway, I just thought I'd make y'all aware that if you run this system and bought it last summer, you might want to inspect it for cracks, etc.
-Crow
Minute Of Average

Re: Kali Key FAILURE

highdesert wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:14 pm Yes, glad you're ok. CA and their "unique" systems for firearms, apparently only approved in CA.
Yep... I have yet to find one of these "featurless" or "approved" setups that makes my firearm safer... between all the reversed-throw ambi safeties, jams, less ergonomic setups, etc, I always feel like I'm shooting a greased football.
-Crow
Minute Of Average

Crow wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:26 pm
highdesert wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:14 pm Yes, glad you're ok. CA and their "unique" systems for firearms, apparently only approved in CA.
Yep... I have yet to find one of these "featureless" or "approved" setups that makes my firearm safer... between all the reversed-throw ambi safeties, jams, less ergonomic setups, etc, I always feel like I'm shooting a greased football.
-Crow
Yes, it reminds me of the NOx vehicle emissions systems CA required years ago before catalytic converters, they never really worked right on my vehicles.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

It appears the company making that part skimped on the quality of the metal in an effort to accommodate California's total idiocy on this issue, courtesy of Republican Governor Deukmejian. Microstamping was Ahnold.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

NegativeApproach wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:08 pm
You mean microstamping doesn't work?

Shocking.
LOL This IS the world of Hollywood and special effects. CA legislators feel it applies to anything they legislate, like the mythical "microstamping".
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Crow wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:26 pm
Yep... I have yet to find one of these "featurless" or "approved" setups that makes my firearm safer... between all the reversed-throw ambi safeties, jams, less ergonomic setups, etc, I always feel like I'm shooting a greased football.
-Crow
No doubt. I went shooting exactly once with a bullet button and immediately switched to featureless. Great way to have an AD with the bullet button bullshit. No thanks.

Appreciate your review of the KaliKey. The best compliance device I've found is the SCR lower, but the price hurts. FRS15 stock is second. I'll likely try a fixed mag in the near future so I can see what I'm missing with a normal AR setup.

featureless wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:33 pm
Appreciate your review of the KaliKey. The best compliance device I've found is the SCR lower, but the price hurts. FRS15 stock is second. I'll likely try a fixed mag in the near future so I can see what I'm missing with a normal AR setup.
I've not tried the fixed mag option with my AR, but as I've noted elsewhere in this forum, I do run the CompMag in my AK. It's alright, and feeds fine as long as you load it carefully, and makes shooting that rifle a lot more fun than with a fin grip. In Cali I sort of prefer the AK to the AR just because of the default fixed length stock that tends to fit me well as is. I've found that most stocklock products for the AR only work in the furthest out position which makes the length of pull a bit long for me. Honestly that's the dumbest fucking rule IMO- the ban on adjustable stocks... like I'm gonna fit that shit in my pants somehow if the stock shortens by 5 inches.
Ok, go ahead and make some 5 inch in the pants jokes.
-Crow
Minute Of Average

UPDATE: I received a replacement gas key today in the mail from Kalikey. I swapped it out for the busted one and the bolt cycles a lot smoother than it used to, so I'm wondering if there was a slight defect in the original that caused a bit of extra friction. Dunno. I'll keep y'all updated on whether it holds up this time. Real nice of the company to send out a replacement with no questions asked.
-Crow
Minute Of Average
Attachments
IMG_1702.JPG