Re: Defensive REVOLVER use caught on camera

tonguengroover wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:46 pm Nice! I gaining more confidence daily after getting my SP101 and going to the range a few times. I feel more confident it's gonna go BANG every time more then my semi autos.
How many times did that guard pull the trigger? Five....Good thing the bad guys ran or the guard would have been faced with an empty handgun.
Depends on the SA, doesn't it? In the 4 years or so I have owned my SA, full sized, 17+1, handgun it has had exactly zero failures of any kind..only about 5000 rounds tho so you never know. Had a failure, locked(?) revolver..sold it.

F4FEver wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:23 am
tonguengroover wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:46 pm Nice! I gaining more confidence daily after getting my SP101 and going to the range a few times. I feel more confident it's gonna go BANG every time more then my semi autos.
How many times did that guard pull the trigger? Five....Good thing the bad guys ran or the guard would have been faced with an empty handgun.
Depends on the SA, doesn't it? In the 4 years or so I have owned my SA, full sized, 17+1, handgun it has had exactly zero failures of any kind..only about 5000 rounds tho so you never know. Had a failure, locked(?) revolver..sold it.
Due tell the make n model wheel gun por favor.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

I'm not a fan of revolvers for defense, but if its the only thing you're comfortable with; then it's the best weapon FOR YOU.

Your typical CC revolver is something like a lightweight 5 shot (J frame S&W) in .38 Special. Those are straight up the most difficult handguns in existence to hit with. Recoil is abusive even for a big guy like me, sight radius is tiny, triggers are very stiff...just nothing about these guns helps a shooter out.

If you can tolerate the weight, the Ruger SP101 is an excellent revolver, but its still a revolver. But the SP101 has enough weight to dampen recoil, the grip shape is one of the best ever put on a revolver, and while stiff...the DA pull is pretty smooth. Still, you have 5 rounds only.

Contrary to popular lore, revolver are NOT more reliable than semi-auto's. Ever notice that the minute semi-auto's came along, militaries all over the world dropped revolvers and went to semi-autos?
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

Maybe “foolproof ” should be substituted for “more reliable”.

I believe militaries chose semi-auto pistols over revolvers primarily due to increased capacity...

And .38 snubbies are called “bellyguns” for a reason. They are commonly used in bad-breath range when things get desperate.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Militaries choose autos for a number of reasons.

Let's stick to why militaries changed about a century ago (there are many more reasons today, but let's keep it simple)
1 - They are WAY more reliable when they get dirty and nasty. A little sand, dirt, or mud and most revolver are not only out of the fight, but actually have to be detailed stripped to get back into the fight. Once debris gets under that side cover; you're done.
2 - They are MUCH easier to maintain, both in the field and at the depot level.
3 - They are generally cheaper and easier to manufacture...and have become more-so as time as moved on.
4 - They are more ergonomic and tend to fit more people's hands better
5 - They are generally easier to hit with (but that depends on what you're comparing).
6 - Higher capacity
7 - MUCH faster reload
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

I will defend revolvers.
Revolvers have some good advantages at times. Not for all occasions, but good for some.

It depends a lot on the shooter, but for a fairly inexperienced shooters, especially if they will not practice with regularity it makes sense.

Anyone without instructions can load and fire a revolver. A loaded revolver has no springs under tension, no manual safety or slide release to figure out and the manual of arms is simple, pull the trigger, if it doesn't go bang, pull the trigger again.

No FTF drills, how to clear double feeds, keeping fingers from behind the slide, nothing. Just keep pulling the trigger. That long heavy double action trigger is not good for speed competitions, but great for not having accidental discharges under stress. When I see that person who just wants to get a gun for protection and will never practice, I recommend a revolver with a laser on it. Most idiot proof, stress proof solution I know.

I carried S&W 38 revolvers, 1911s and the 9mm Beretta while in the service. A 4" revolver is a solid weapon. Easy to shoot, easy malfunction drills, a little harder to be accurate, but harder to reload than a semi-automatic.
The automatics on the other hand worked well as long as clean, oiled and you didn't do anything stupid like hold down the slide stop with your grip or rub the slide with your thumb causing a short stroke.

In fairness I own dozens of pistols and only a few are revolvers, but my wife carries one every day, and I can compete with a revolver against my friends autos when I want a challenge and do well.

Second time I recommend revolvers is the ittle J-frames, especially the air weights are great carry guns. Get a Crimson Trace laser and head shots at 10yds are easy. Nothing in the 2" barrel range is any better and a lot of guns in the same class weight more than double and jam.

My wife's 432PD is less than 1lb loaded so it replaced the P239 in her purse. The snub noses are a great shape for a pocket holster, very comfortable for a big guy like me.

Bisbee wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:22 pm Maybe “foolproof ” should be substituted for “more reliable”.

I believe militaries chose semi-auto pistols over revolvers primarily due to increased capacity...

And .38 snubbies are called “bellyguns” for a reason. They are commonly used in bad-breath range when things get desperate.
Those two things.
Less moving parts and I don't plan to get into some long range fire fight in town, which is where and when I carry OWB or CC.
Not that I don't trust my 17+1 SR9c but carrying a double stack is a pain in the azz. Too heavy and makes my pants slip down.
Now if I knew I was headed out into the streets of Kabul yer dammed right I would carry my SR9c and it would be on a drop leg holster.
As it is now the 101 3" fits snug to the body and I have 2 speed loaders if necessary.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

I think everyone should have a good holster gun, and a good pocket gun. If you like a revolver for one or both of those, that's your call to make. I carried a LW J frame for 20 years and then finally something better came along. I'm a HUGE revolver fan, I just don't use them for defense.
My revolvers are my fun guns. Revolvers are just cool.

I have witnessed precisely one shooting. A street altercation at a bus stop. At first I thought it was an engine backfiring. One shot. Turned to see the shooter running away down the alley, the victim clutching his arm, and a bystander moving to assist. My first impulse was to jump out and help, but that would've tied up traffic and I had family to keep safe. So I did. Discovered weeks later that the victim died of his injuries.

As we see in this video. The robbers ran away and got to a hospital despite taking a couple rounds apiece, at close range. This was a 'soft stop'. It was effective, but it didn't incapacitate either one. This could have gone very, very differently. A person can take lethal damage and still be on their feet for a while. The walking dead.

Zombies can still kill you.

For a concealed carrier focused on basic self-defense, I think a revolver can be adequate, but this instance is one where it pushes the limits of the platform. An armed professional should probably carry a more capable duty weapon, but I'm not one. My understanding was that revolvers remained in military for years due to manufacturing constraints - we couldn't crank out 1911s fast enough in the Great War, so we got the M1917. It wasn't a Vickers, but what was?

I expect that if I ever have to resort to lethal force, I'll be dreadfully undergunned for the scenario. Just like this. Of course, for some of us, our notion of adequately armed is "make them change their shorts without pulling a trigger," so there's that.If it comes to use of force, you're probably doing the wrong thing in the wrong place at the wrong time, and it's time to reconsider your life choices. Even if they're all justifiable.

tonguengroover wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:59 am
F4FEver wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:23 am
Due tell the make n model wheel gun por favor.
Ya know, I will and then the bashing and my poor choice will commence BUT this handgun has been used for decades by South American law enforcement w/o any issues but..here it goes.

a NEW Taurus model 82
https://www.taurususa.com/revolvers/taurus-82
About 50 rounds(NOT +P) and it wouldn't cock, shoot, cylinder wouldn't rotate, could not open cylinder. Took it home, finally got it unloaded..took the side plate off, cleaned, lubed..it worked fine(thanks youtube)..then actually traded it(partially) for a Glock 19..

I still have 2 revolvers..A Uberti Thunderer and Ruger Wrangler..range toys.

F4FEver wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:49 am
Ya know, I will and then the bashing and my poor choice will commence BUT this handgun has been used for decades by South American law enforcement w/o any issues but..here it goes.

a NEW Taurus model 82
https://www.taurususa.com/revolvers/taurus-82
About 50 rounds(NOT +P) and it wouldn't cock, shoot, cylinder wouldn't rotate, could not open cylinder. Took it home, finally got it unloaded..took the side plate off, cleaned, lubed..it worked fine(thanks youtube)..then actually traded it(partially) for a Glock 19..

I still have 2 revolvers..A Uberti Thunderer and Ruger Wrangler..range toys.
Well I can't say anything bad about Taurus because I never owned one. Oh, weren't they partially owned by S&W at one time? That might be the problem. hehehe

I agree the guard did a great job! Did you see him duck and then keep shooting. Not sure if he was shot at I think so.

Like in all guns, quality differs a lot by manufacturer, model and sometimes you get a lemon. I have a S&W model 66 4" with at least 10k rounds through it with no issues. Mostly. 38 Spl but plenty of .357 mag as well.
S&W and Colt is great and Rugers are built like a tank. The resale market on revolvers is weak, especially for 38spl because most want a .357. For that reason you can find some bargains.

I'm also very surprised by so many people thinking automatics are more reliable than revolvers. Back in the 80's the police that didn't want their departments to switch from revolvers to automatic first concern was how unreliable automatics were.

They have gotten better, but I still consider revolvers far more reliable than automatics. I was a mid level gunsmith at a gun store for several years and can scarcely remember ever getting a revolver except for upgrades. Automatics were constantly coming in with feed and extraction issues.
Old School
The best upgrade for you firearm is always instruction and practice.

Oldschool wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:25 pm I'm also very surprised by so many people thinking automatics are more reliable than revolvers. Back in the 80's the police that didn't want their departments to switch from revolvers to automatic first concern was how unreliable automatics were.
The biggest reasons US law enforcement used revolvers for SO long were:

1 - They were really worried about safety. When you introduce semi-auto's, negligent discharge incidents increase markedly. So they didn't have much stomach for that.
2 - Admins were worried more ammo means more misses...which is really a training issue, and as it turned out; its about the same.
3 - Colt & S&W were VERY effective in their marketing of revolvers. All the really large agencies had Colt and S&W trained armorers, and those armorers resisted change. And the sales guys were really good at preaching the doom & gloom of semi-autos.

Semi-auto's have been proven to be more reliable time and time and time again. If you don't get that, then I suggest you read up on some military tests; revolvers don't even come close to semi-auto performance.

Well, when I posted this video thread, I just wanted to show a revolver in action (since I like revolvers.) I didn't expect to re-ignite the revolver vs Semi-auto debate. Well, so be it!
While I enjoy revolvers, I normally don't carry one. Most of the time increased capacity of the bottom feeder is more favorable. Unless you are in moose and grizzly country, then you want the power that only comes from 44 mag. wheel gun.
Like Old School's wife, I have a 6 shot 32 mag snubby. I have a 7 shot 357 all-titanium Taurus snubby, cause I like titanium guns. I do think that revolvers are best for those folks that want a gun but will never practice with it.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

Yes, the debate has been hashed many times. Is there an advantage to having 17 plus rounds in a magazine, yes there is. It all boils down to your skill and ability with a weapon. It won’t matter one bit if you have 17 plus rounds if you can’t hit the broadside of a barn. Also, the semiautomatic advantage in rounds didn’t really come into play until the 1970’s when the wonder nines came into existence. If you’ve ever seen an expert reloading a revolver with a speed loader and shooting you’d realize that it’s fast. Most people couldn’t reload a magazine that quickly and if your 45 acp caliber 1911 only had seven round plus one it wouldn’t be that huge an advantage to have a semiautomatic. But since most things boil down to can you hit what you aim at, then that’s the only meaningful measure. Spray and pray of course has become a fall back for not training to some. As I think is pretty clear from the news stories of officers shooting with multiple magazines unloaded at a target and not a lot of hits. This individual was comfortable with the weapon and that is all that matters in the end.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

I have never had an issue with my S&W 686+ in the 3inch and 6 inch barrel or My Ruger Alaskan 44mag or Super Redhawk being able to fire wen I squeeze the trigger. I have had issue with my Sig 227 45ACP having FTE and FTF with different brands of ammo especially Winchester white box and some other “Cheaper” brands of ammo. Now my Sig 1911 45ACP shoots like a dream but it had been worked on to make it a fine gun before I had bought it. As one person that has shot 1911 for years said it is like shooting a tuneup Gold Cup. I don’t even own a 9mm I always figur they would be like me carrying my Dad’s SW 38 S&W cartridge AKA 38/200 he Carrie during WWII
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

I think the debate is long settled that automatics rule among highly skilled shooters. My scores on the same course will always be much higher using an Auto vs Revolver. I see it more as a what is right for you question. I just don't underestimate revolvers, if you haven't watched the video of the speed shooter I posted, Jerry is a legend to behold.
Old School
The best upgrade for you firearm is always instruction and practice.