My 10/22 Project

So I got an idea about what to do with this old stock Ruger 10/22 rifle as far as restoration goes. It's just like the one I had when I was 12 years old. She's not been taken care of well but shoots straight Need some serious cleaning inside.

At first I was just going to redo the stock and re blue it. Then I got to thinking maybe a new cheap stock so I could do a camo paint job on the whole shebang.

Then I thought maybe get a better stock for the stainless 10/22 I bought 3 years ago and use the stock from that one to put on the old one and camo it.

I'm definitely sold on the camo look, got one of three paint cans in already, Green, tan and Flat Dark Earth. I also have a couple scopes I could put on it too and camo them as well.
The camo design would be desert tan base with the other two sponged on with a sea sponge.

So what would you do. Any input would help, mostly along the lines of what after market stocks are good.

Thanks!
Last edited by tonguengroover on Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”
Attachments
10 22 project.jpg
10 22 project 1.jpg

Re: My 10/22 Project Conundrum

Oldschool wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:47 pm All the aftermarket stocks I know of have the bull barrel profile inlet, so if you are keeping the OEM barrel, it may look odd.

My favorite stock is the Archangel, but I build target guns.
Thanks Oldschool. I've read about that bull barrel thiing just shopping around. I also heard there are some that work for both.
A couple concerns are
a, epoxying parts together so it seems most all parts have to be coated separately and avoid getting any on threads.
Coating optics would seem rather difficult. but doable
B, cleaning the metal good enough to stick. Wondering what cleaner would be best. I heard brake cleaner is good.

The Magpul Hunter X-22 Stock keeps popping up, so I may buy that for the stainless and use the one on it for the camo job. This is kind of a test run for possible doing some other guns. Like some older bolt guns I have like a zestava 25-06 or my Sub2K 9mm.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

I don't have any experience with painting stocks or scopes. Frankly, I would be afraid to paint a scope and never do. It voids the waranty, any resale value and can mess up the scope. The lens coatings are very delicate. I see it done, but that is usually professionals using cerekote, not paint.

Make sure you do not paint the barrel channel. A key element to accuracy is "free floating" the barrel. That basicly is making sure the stock does not touch the barrel except for near the reciever.

If you want a subdued look, you can buy stocks that are olive drab green or flat black.

I am all for customizing, but feel inclined to caution that home done paint jobs have an iffy history. I would do a lot of research.

My suggestions for a 10/22 would be around making it shoot better. Depending on budget, but trigger, barrel, stock and optics. I'll try to post some pictures of mine later.

Yeah the guy that threw in the 10/22 also gave me a couple scopes too. I actually told him I didn't want it but kept saying all or nothing. Cranky old farts. lol
I'll be sure to protect the lens and not epoxy parts together. It couldn't look any worse than it does now.

Here is a 10/22 with OD Archangel stock and a carbon fiber barrel. The gun was made in in the 1960's, four digit serial number, only original parts are the reciever and bolt.

Great thing about the 10/22 is as all the options to customize them.
Old School
The best upgrade for you firearm is always instruction and practice.
Attachments
20210921_204017_compress75.jpg

The barrel is made by Volquartsen. Some of the highest quality upgrades you can get for a 10/22. And unfortunately priced accordingly.

I got a good deal on this one, but my go to for match grade 10/22 barrels is Green Mountain Rifle Barrel Co.
Much better value.
Old School

Tip: the stocks that come with a 10/22 position the eye just above the barrel for fixed sights.

If you mount a scope, the OEM stock is too low, so you can't get a good cheek weld, position or eye alignment. You can find cheek risers/pads to add to these stocks that help. A piece of foam and some vet wrap works in a pinch.

They make stocks with raised cheek piece for use with scopes, but they put the eye too high for fixed sights.

An adjustable cheek riser, like seen on the stock in my picture, allows for either and you can adjust to the individual shooter.

The adjustable length of pull is also very nice. I can adjust the rifle above for anyone from a child to a tall adult.

So the first step to picking a stock, is to decide if you will use a scope, red dot or fixed sights.
Old School

Oldschool wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:30 am Tip: the stocks that come with a 10/22 position the eye just above the barrel for fixed sights.

If you mount a scope, the OEM stock is too low, so you can't get a good cheek weld, position or eye alignment. You can find cheek risers/pads to add to these stocks that help. A piece of foam and some vet wrap works in a pinch.

They make stocks with raised cheek piece for use with scopes, but they put the eye too high for fixed sights.

An adjustable cheek riser, like seen on the stock in my picture, allows for either and you can adjust to the individual shooter.

The adjustable length of pull is also very nice. I can adjust the rifle above for anyone from a child to a tall adult.

So the first step to picking a stock, is to decide if you will use a scope, red dot or fixed sights.
I sure am glad you came along at just the right time to help me with this. Lots of good tips to think about. Thanks I doubt I'm go to put a lot of $$ into this one.

If you change your mind about investing significant funds into your 1022, check out parts made by Kidd. I have four 1022s that are all Kidd parts. The only Ruger parts left in any of them are the magazines. They are fabulous shooters and quite expensive but worth the money if you love shooting 22 LR.

As for stocks, I have two rifles that use Victor company Titan stocks. I like them because they have an optional rear hold down. I don’t see any reason to bed them. The other two have Altamont Barracuda stocks. Both have lightweight barrels and two pound triggers. They are great fun to shoot.

One of my Titan stocks was duracoated by a friend. The coating is holding up beautifully.

Here are some images:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's one I did. I made stencils from leaves from my yard, but added black also.
It's a Mosin Nagant with a Czech machine gun barrel on it in the original 7.62x54r caliber.

Make sure you bed your stock before you paint it.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

CDFingers wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:48 pm Here's one I did. I made stencils from leaves from my yard, but added black also.

It's a Mosin Nagant with a Czech machine gun barrel on it in the original 7.62x54r caliber.

Make sure you bed your stock before you paint it.

CDFingers
I love that! Thats a wood stock right? How do you prep a wood stock?

I used engine paint. The stock was one I'd used for several Mosin builds as a test bed. I'd finished the stock six or seven different times. It started out as a five dollar gun show stock, probably made as a high school wood shop project. It has a white oak center strip and mahogany sides, doweled together. Pretty ugly, but really strong, which is why I used it for so long. I used the engine paint straight on, no prep beyond all those years of abuse.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

You guys have some massive scopes. Do those have some sort of magnifier on the ends or do they come like that?
I checked out the extra scopes I have. The one is an ancient Tasco , are they even still a thing? And a water proof Bushnell 4x-12x-40. I guess Ill use that and put the Tasco on my pellet gun.
Crap, gonna need a set of rings. It never ends.
Attachments
scopes.jpg

My 10/22 Project Conundrum

Mine have sun shades. The reason is simple: my range lanes point eastward and I shoot in the morning.

My compulsion is to shoot five shot groups at fifty yards and my eyesight is not what it used to be. So I like a lot of magnification. All of these routinely shoot half inch groups, center to center, and, when the stars align, quarter inch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife and I each have a 3-9x for mostly 25yd Project Appleseed events. I also have both a 10/22 and a Ruger Precision Rimfire Rifle with the excellent leupold 6.5-20x40 EFRs on them.

The extra magnification is great for bench and prone, but I like the lower magnification for sitting and standing.
Old School

I guess 3-9x is pretty standard. I have the Nikon Prostaff Rimfire II BDC on the stainless.

So this one was made in 81'-82' and looks like she's never been cleaned. I guess I'll just clean her up, should shoot better eh? These are so easy to disassemble its funny people never clean them.
Attachments
Ruger 10 22.jpg

So far this is what I got. Switched out stocks, Magpul on the new stainless and the stock from that on the old 10/22.

The paint lays down nice, a few spatters here and there. I decided to do the base coat OD green and then use leaves for a simple look. I couldn't find stencils I liked. Saw some for $25 on amazon. That's ridiculous.
So the top coat will be Desert tan or the color of the Magpul FDE stock and the OD green will replicate the leaves. Then top coat that with the clear matte finish. Keeping it simple.

Ran into a problem with the old trigger group. The safety keeps getting stuck and it won't arm the trigger. So I ordered a Ruger BX- Trigger. Thats a do over. That will go on the stainless and the stock trigger from the stainless will go on the old Ruger.
Waiting on some flip up scope covers and trigger group to do the final paint job.
Attachments
Ruger build.jpg
Ruger build I.jpg
Ruger BuildII.jpg

I found a fairly decent tutorial about how to camo your firearm. There's tons of YouTube videos out there as well but I'd rather have it penned for quick reference.
Don't forget the brake cleaner to remove any oils off and fine grit sand paper for the stock. I like the CRC Brakleen brake cleaner, it's got the pure tetrachloroethylene (PERC) in it. Wear Gloves!

https://www.instructables.com/Camo-Your-Firearm/

Re: My 10/22 Project

Scope Prep + Propaganda +Snek + Monstrum stuff

I figured I better protect some stuff. If that gives me away so be it. Cotton rounds under the tape to protect the lenses. You could always stretch your balls to make them fit.
I could always paint brush some areas before the clear matte goes on. I wasn't sure if the paint would make the numbers unreadable and wanted to seal it up.
You can see the green color better here than the last pics. Now I'm just waiting for my Ruger BX-Trigger group to get here.
Attachments
scope prep I.jpg
scope prep.jpg
Snek.jpg

Re: My 10/22 Project

So pretty much finished playing around. Prolly get some flip up scope caps for both 22's and paint them too. Other than that IIt turned out just like I wanted it to.
I' learned what not to do so now I'll prolly do my Sub2k and my 25-06 bolt gun. It's fun. Just gotta take it slow.
Couple pics in the wild and inside.
Attachments
10 22 camo III.jpg
10 22 camo II.jpg
10 22 camo I.jpg