Sig P365XL or 365X Series - The Undecided

Okay friends with opinions,

First let me already apologize before I get going for any misspellings and grammar errors. I was bestowed with other gifts and spelling and grammar not being one of them.

Now that I got my Missouri CCW permit (I know Missouri doesn't require one but that’s just now I chose to do it before I got my first CCW. I already have a glock G17 Gen5 for home defense (Not for me, too boxy in my hands). I've done several months of shopping around, Gun stores, shows ect. got a good feel of what I like and what I don't in the hand, and I've really narrowed it down to two choices which is the Sig Sauer P365XL and P365 X Series. I felt like the regular P365 was with the pinky extenion was to small (for me) for a novice shooter and I didn't feel like I had a confident grip. So when I tried the P365Xl for the first time It had that Harry potter wand feel of (that's the one) regarding the grip and general feel. Then the P365X series came available. I had to wait awhile before it started showing up in stores so I could get my hand on it. Both of them felt great in the hand and a slight but negligible differences, which caused me to be undecided between the two now that I'm ready to get one. (Gurrrrr).

I'm looking for your insight. I realize that getting your first CCW is very personal and I've weighed the pro and cons to both and I'm no closer to deciding. I have made my firm decision for the Sig P365 XL or X series (There are too many yes’s for me being my first official carry gun out of the box).

To give you some background with me. I'm 50yrs old, I would consider myself a novice shooter. Out of 20 rounds, 17 hit my targets center mass at 7 - 9 yards during my CCW class. I plan on training with my CCW quarterly (Based on ammo supply). I'm 5'11, and 250 pounds, (Yeah I'm not a slim guy have a gut for sure). I'll be sitting more than standing (I work from home) however I drive and travel quite a bit. I'm more of a slow and steady kind of guy. I'm more of a accuracy first, speed later. Why I was thinking of the P365XL and buy the X Series slide assembly or vice versa from Sig directly and I can have the best of both words (Kind of why I'm in my head about which one to buy first.... X series or XL. Being a beginner doesn't mean what I think in my own head is the more practical choice...... Hence I'm asking what you all think.

We can also have a holster conversation because I'll need one of those too.

Thank you for your time and opinion, thoughts and guidance.

Matthew from Missouri, (Yeah I hate living here)…. LOL

Re: Sig P365XL or 365X Series - The Undecided

My son has the regular P365 and it fits my big fat hands, course there are bigger big fat hands. He has long fingers. Heck, I'd trade my SR9c for one, maybe some day.

But did you see this one! This here is the one! SIG SAUER Expands P365 XSERIES with P365X ROMEOZero
https://www.sigsauer.com/blog/sig-sauer ... -romeozero
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

My spouse's EDC is the XL, with a Romeo Zero red dot sight.

I like the gun, frankly. I haven't fired the X model, so I can't really speak to how it differs from the XL. My own preferred EDC is a bit wider (CZ P10S), because my hands are larger than many (I start at XXL when shopping for gloves).

That said, after looking up the specs and seeing that the X is basically the XL with the shorter barrel and slide of the non-lettered version, it's going to be personal preference.

I like the slightly longer barrel and that the sights are farther apart for accuracy (not as big an issue if you have a red dot sight). The .7" longer barrel might make a slight difference in how rapid the "draw to target acquisition" is, because it's a little bit easier to clear the holster, and at less than ten yards, the shorter barrel won't make a huge difference in your accuracy.

I realize that this won't help much. The upside is that either one is a good choice.
Eventually I'll figure out this signature thing and decide what I want to put here.

Not at all F4Ever,

Not to poo poo on glock 43X becuase I'm not. I highly considered the 43X and I wanted to get there in my final choice to the Sig P365X or XL series and the glock 43x was only other contender, the G48 was just to big for me. The Sig p365XL or X series just had to many additional yes's right out of the box that glock 43x didn't have out of the box.

I'll gladly buy a glock 43x in my future CCW rotation.

The last thing I want for myself is being one of those Sig or Glock fan boy types that I roll my eyes at, However, I must say.... trying to buy my first CCW is much harder than I expected and getting me to make up my mind and just "DO IT"!! Anyone got any advice about that? ROFL.

Matthew from Missouri

F4FEver wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:38 am
Hence I'm asking what you all think.
I know I'll get pillored for this but look at Glock 43X or Glock 48...both compare well to 365x and 365xl..Plus 'maybe' more reliable and less $.

Just MHO..

I wanted to get there in my final choice to the Sig P365X or XL series and the glock 43x was only other contender, the G48 was just to big for me. The Sig p365XL or X series just had to many additional yes's right out of the box that glock 43x didn't have out of the box.
Congratulations on whatever you choose..but ya know. G48 and Sig 365XL 'almost' the same size..identical width(You mentioned the G17 being 'fat')..and G43X is certainly 'smaller' than the 365XL..

But whatever you choose..great to have so many choices these days.

Thank you,

I realize people can say the G48 is 'almost' the same but in the same respect, when you add up all the differences between the two it's same at all. A little here and a little there does add up which makes it not the same. I didn't want to list out all the differences between them and list that here. I'm sure you're are a right and honorable gentleman regarding your experence and wouldn't assume I'm more knowledgeable. I only say these things becuase the specs I've looked at side by side and put in my own hands and the G48 total length being 7.28 which is more then the XL and that was my deciding factor.

Regarding the 43X. is there somthing I missing between the two other than 0.10 of a inch in total length? when I compare raw specs back to back. Maybe I'm missing somthing or not understanding. However what I will say... The 43X seemed smaller over all in in the hand than the XL.... why that is I'm not sure.

Matthew from Missouri
F4FEver wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:44 am
I wanted to get there in my final choice to the Sig P365X or XL series and the glock 43x was only other contender, the G48 was just to big for me. The Sig p365XL or X series just had to many additional yes's right out of the box that glock 43x didn't have out of the box.
Congratulations on whatever you choose..but ya know. G48 and Sig 365XL 'almost' the same size..identical width(You mentioned the G17 being 'fat')..and G43X is certainly 'smaller' than the 365XL..

But whatever you choose..great to have so many choices these days.

How is it that you ask this question on a board full of enablers, and no one has yet suggested "both?"

I haven't shot or handled either, but since they're variations on a theme from the same manufacturer, consider the mission. A concealed weapon will spend most of its time concealed. Smaller is better for concealment. If it needs to be used, you may need to draw in a hurry. A shorter barrel helps clear the holster faster. Otherwise it seems like you're looking at 12 rounds of 9mm Luger either way - nothing to sneeze at.

A longer barrel can be a little easier to shoot - not just because of the distance between the sights giving you better precision, but because you can get marginally higher velocity, more mass, and that mass is centered a little further out to resist muzzle rise. But with 9mm, you don't get a very large increase in muzzle velocity with barrel length, and the power difference is inconsequential. If you were going to go target shooting, I'd pick the XL, but I think the X probably fits your mission better.

You could split the difference - I believe the Sig 938 is a 1911-style 9mm subcompact. :) I suspect if you were interested, you'd already have it on your list.

A 1911 is fun. A lot of love for John Browning and the .45 ACP around here. What's the line though - if God had meant for us to have high-capacity 9mms, he would have had John Browning design one. Wait, he did? Oh. Nevermind. 9mm is fine. .45 is fun. And that's what lurker is getting at. If you don't have fun shooting, you're not going to spend enough time at it to get good. Concealable handguns in more effective calibers tend to be less fun to shoot.

Training is more important than equipment, so just get one and go shooting. If it really doesn't work for you, it turns out that there is a crazy market out there for secondhand guns, and you can trade pretty easily.