Re: How’s the weather

So lovely out this morning after that 1/3 inch deluge last night. :-0 At least the ground is still wet. I love that smell and that feeling of the cool humidity after that first rain. Nice.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

INVICTVS138 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:23 pm
sikacz wrote:Beautiful day!
B3D151F4-6189-4B39-8452-ED5B81A0256C.jpegCB8C2062-540B-4187-A128-366B29ECB303.jpeg
Nice hat! You have style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you. Just switched to my felt hats for wall and winter.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Speaking of weather, I just read Fox Weather app is to debut on 10/25/21. Wonder if turd will be chief meteorologist and if king size Sharpies will be used !!! LOL

BTW FDT.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

California Now Under Statewide Drought Emergency Amid Driest Year Since 1924

California Gov. Gavin Newsom (D) issued a statewide drought emergency on Tuesday and called on residents to further conserve water amid one of the driest years since record keeping began.

“As the western U.S. faces a potential third year of drought, it’s critical that Californians across the state redouble our efforts to save water in every way possible,” Newsom said in a statement.

Most of the state’s counties had been under a drought emergency since July, but Tuesday’s proclamation added the few regions that were previously spared.

Newsom also encouraged Californians to reduce their water use by 15%, a goal first set several months ago, and empowered the state’s Water Resources Control Board to tackle wasteful water practices, like washing sidewalks and driveways or cleaning a car with a running hose.

State data shows that many areas have dramatically curbed water use amid the drought. E. Joaquin Esquivel, the chair of the state’s water board, told The Los Angeles Times that recent figures revealed declines in use that were “encouraging and heartening … but we need to continue to ensure we’re conserving.

Although storms are predicted for later this month which should bring rain and snow to parts of the state, recent reports show California would need 140% of its average annual precipitation to end the drought.

The state recently recorded its driest year in nearly a century. The California Department of Water Resources said this month that the 2021 water year — a period that ran from Oct. 1, 2020 to Sept. 30, 2021 — marked the least rainfall since 1924. Some areas, including San Francisco and Los Angeles, saw less than half of their average annual rainfall during that period.

“[E]xtreme conditions that once were rare are occurring with increased frequency,” the agency said. “California’s climate is transitioning to a warmer setting in which historical relationships among temperature, precipitation and runoff are changing.”

The ongoing drought will only increase the threat of punishing wildfires. California has been engulfed in massive, record-breaking blazes in recent years due to dry conditions. The Dixie fire, which started in July, is still burning in some areas. It is the largest single wildfire in state history.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/califor ... 735734623e

But think of the swimming pools, and green lawns and how will our driver keep our Rolls/ Tesla clean in the rich areas of California. We must maintain our standards. I can’t appear to be less than my neighbor. We are not the Hoi Polli. :sarcasm:
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

It's been a brutal summer here in CA. We got some rain last night and are forecast for on and off rain all week. I am relieved that it should be enough to relax the wildfire sphincter pucker we've had going on since June. It's a long time to pucker.

Our woodburning dragon has been keeping the new place nice and toasty. Pretty cool to heat with wood (sustainably).

The forecast from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration until winter 2022 is for a drier Southwest and their definition of Southwest extends from Southern California to South Carolina. Nor Cal and So Cal are different climates and Newsom is thinking like a politician, Nor Cal will have more rain like the Pac North West and So Cal less, but remember that 25% of California's population is in LA County and he's up for election next year. In reality over half of California's population that is over 23 million out of 39 million are in Southern California, so he's looking at voters. Politicians aren't warm and cuddly Republican or Democrat, they look at voters and getting reelected.

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

I'll take a "normal" rain year any day, which is what that chart shows for us. Yeah on SoCal. Colorado River will be drier. Tough for a California governor to do much about that but ask for conservation.

CDFingers

Yes, levels are low at Lake Mead which is fed by the Colorado River, it's dependent on snow in the Colorado Rocky Mountains which hold the headwaters. So Cal has always known that its development depended on water so pipelines from the Colorado River and later the Metropolitan Water District that serves Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, San Diego and Ventura counties in So Cal, tied into the Colorado River, reservoirs., aquifers... The two parts of the state have had different perspectives on water and conservation over the years.

https://www.sfgate.com/california-droug ... 502808.php
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

It's raining real rain here this morning, not the Gary Oldman spittle of the past couple of days. It's not going to do a damn thing about the drought unless we get a whole lot more, but I'm feeling much better about wrapping up fire season threats, at least locally. Yesterday, a couple of us just stood outside watching puddles dance. It was good.

Yeah, I saw my first puddle on the dirt this season. Everything's been soaking in since these storms began. Little creeks still dry. I welcome every drop. The lake has risen about a quarter an inch. Supposedly. The local paper carries the data every day, so probably true.

CDFingers

Well, I got the tarp put down above a portion of the house with no roof on it currently (auxiliary room, but still connected). I also chopped kindling and moved wood nearer the back door under an overhang. Hauled off the trash. Filled the generator. Of course, it rained on me the whole time then stopped right when I came in. I'm sure my efforts have stalled out the atmospheric river. Sorry, y'all.

Yes, a quick change in weather. One good thing is finding out where your trouble areas are on a new property. Areas that burned especially in CDFs area are more subject to flooding, washing down from the mountains with debris. Stay safe !

Just saw this article, they are predicting a "bomb cyclone" series of storms in Nor Cal.
The weather is about to get much more intense in California. A massive wall of rain is heading to the northern part of the state, and communities are bracing for flash flooding and dangerous mudslides.

The storm system heading to the West Coast is so ferocious it's known as a "bomb cyclone," and it's helping to drive a river of moisture towards northern California. Massive rainfall and strong winds are on the way. In areas scorched bare by wildfires, flash flooding and mudslides could pose grave danger.

"The water flows off instead of soaking in and it can start picking up pebbles and then rocks, boulders, trees. And it can be severely damaging," Marty Ralph, an expert on weather and water extremes at the University of California in San Diego, told CBS News.

On a scale of one to five, he says this system is a five. In areas like Nevada County, hit hard by the River Fire, emergency officials are telling residents to be ready to evacuate once again.

"I travel light so if they say evacuations, I'll just get the hell out of dodge," resident Kevin Fatemi said.

But the rain does at least have an upside in the region exhausted by extreme weather conditions. Ralph says it won't end the drought, but it will make a dent.

"This will pretty much put an end to the risk of major fires in Northern California for the season," Ralph said.

The storm will also have an upside for skiers, bringing heavy snowfall to the Sierra Nevada Mountain Range. Mammoth Ski Resort is already on target for its snowiest October in a decade and plans to open two weeks ahead of schedule.

Northern and central California will get the first soaking. Rain is expected to arrive in Los Angeles by Monday.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/california ... -expected/

highdesert is right about the burned areas up here from the most recent fires. The ones from 2018 and 2019 at least have a season or two of short plants growing. But there will be lots of debris flows up in the mountains around us.

Down here at the edge of the foothills, all the creeks now have water, though I don't know how long that will last. I don't know if there are more storms coming behind these three. We can only hope. We have to recharge the aquifers before they collapse. It's too late for some of the central valley. Up here maybe there is time.

Still love the sound of rain. I might be tired of it by Wednesday, though. Whiner.

CDFingers

Yes, the sound of the rain is wonderful. It's pretty serious out there right now, at least concerning cats and dogs falling out of the sky. There are a few downspouts that will require some attention once I'm sufficiently caffeinated. I made sure the gutters are clean back in June (for fire protection), but at least one downspout is geysering at the connection. Probably has some sort of nest stuffed into it. Ah, country living!