Trump sues Capitol riot committee to block release of White House records

Former President Donald Trump has filed a lawsuit against the House Select Committee investigating the January 6th Capitol riots in order to block release of White House documents.

Politico reports that Trump is suing both the committee and the National Archives on the grounds that the committee supposedly does not have a valid legislative purpose and that the committee has requested too many documents.

Lawyers representing the twice-impeach former president argued that the Capitol riot committee was simply a "vexatious, illegal fishing expedition."

Trump has telegraphed for weeks that he will try to assert executive privilege over White House documents related to the January 6th Capitol riots, despite the fact that current President Joe Biden waived executive privilege on the documents and despite the fact that most legal experts believe Trump no longer has power to assert executive privilege when he's no longer president.
https://www.rawstory.com/trump-capitol-riot-lawsuit/

We knew it was coming. I'm not surprised that he found some shyster lawyers to represent him. I hoped they got paid in advance, because he will refuse to pay when the courts throw out the lawsuit.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Re: Trump sues Capitol riot committee to block release of White House records

Any of the Judges appointed by TOT should recuse themselves from any lawsuit concerning him.
But I don’t see that happening especially at the Appeals Courts and the SCOTUS.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Biden just needs to release the records, screw the courts. What are they gonna do, impeach him? Arrest him? Throw him in jail? Kinda ridiculous to think Biden will be punished for any reason after the reign of the turd that broke every norm we ever had without so much as Howdy Doody. Biden should just order all records released - NOW!!
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Wino wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:46 pm Biden just needs to release the records, screw the courts. What are they gonna do, impeach him? Arrest him? Throw him in jail? Kinda ridiculous to think Biden will be punished for any reason after the reign of the turd that broke every norm we ever had without so much as Howdy Doody. Biden should just order all records released - NOW!!
I’m wondering why he hasn’t.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

My guess is that the archivist is the person with the records as well as the responsibility, and is the real target. David Ferriero, if you were wondering. An Obama appointee and the first librarian to hold the post.

I don't doubt that the logistical challenges of "turning over the records" is beyond mere mortal comprehension. Assuming that records were kept in accordance with federal law, archived and indexed in a timely fashion as they were produced, the sheer volume must be staggering. Finding what's relevant will take months. But you know and I know that the records were not kept with due diligence, nor turned over to the archives in full accordance. The radioactive chimps who come after us will have history grad students building careers on the dissertations they write on that shit.