Benelli 20 ga

So there's a Benelli 828u 20ga and Beretta 686 .28ga Silver Pigeon I (over unders ) sitting there at the LGS right next to each other. Besides the 1K difference in price I'm kinda more interested the effectiveness of a 28ga.
I've been doing some research and not really finding decent data on spread rate/range of the 28ga vs 20ga shell. I've heard there's not any significant difference.

Also as far as the difference in guns the Beretta seems like a junior model to the Benelli.

Funny thing is the store has zero 20ga but tons of 28ga shells. The old guy that works there says there's always a plentiful supply of 28ga. That could be decisive if there is not a significant difference in performance.

Course the eyes aren't as good as they used to be so a bigger spread rate might be important. However each comes with 5 chokes.

Does anyone have both or shot both that can give any input? I've had 12, 20 and .410 but not a 28ga.
Last edited by tonguengroover on Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

Re: Any Pro and Con with 28. ga vs a 20 ga?

I have a little experience with both (more variation and longer with 20 than 28). I’ve had 20 ga for years and grew up with it, and we recently got a 28 over under (cheaper import). That said, our use of the 28 thus far has only been on clay pigeons and I have not even patterned the gun. So I’ll share what my observations are, but realize they are rather limited at this time. Caveat emptor.

In our experience, a 20 is a little more forgiving at sporting clays. Some of this can be attributed to a bit of laziness when it comes to modifying choke selection. The 28 is much easier in terms of recoil (assuming similar weight guns), and still seems to work well enough at skeet and sporting clays. It’s like having a minor handicap compared to a 12 or 20. Learning on a 28 might be more difficult than a 20 or 12, but that’s just speculation on my part.

I’ve found that with 3” shells for a 20 ga, you regain a lot of common ground with a 12ga for hunting purposes which makes it far more versatile than a 28 (at least in my limited experience).

The only shells I ever regularly see for 28ga are clays and small game/small bird loads (rabbit/pigeon). That’s said, there does seem to still be an abundance of those up here. Just picked up a flat of 10 boxes of Winchester for $96 for the 28. If that’s what you intend, then it might be worthwhile. I can’t recall ever personally seeing slugs or buckshot for a 28, and large sized birdshot seems pretty rare. But also it’s only recently that I’ve really ever paid attention to it. While 20ga isn’t as ubiquitous as 12ga, there does still seem to be a broad selection of what is available (when it is available), at least from the before times and the long, long ago.

That’s about it… not even 2 cents worth really. In another month or two I might have more of an opinion.

Cheers,

Quo

QuoVadis wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:44 pm I’ve never shot a quality Benelli, though they certainly look quite nice. However my 12ga over-under is a Beretta 686, and it is by far my most comfortable, easiest shotgun. While it might not be as good as the more expensive variety, it fits/suits me well (and I might not be able to appreciate or notice what the extra $1k gets you).
I really appreciate any input QuoVadis.
I was checking out those 686s. Very nice shotguns .
But not looking for a 12ga or duck shotgun. Just a nice field shotgun. I'd kinda like to shoot trap again too.. The ole shoulder isnot up to a 12ga anymore.
Anyways. I discovered Beretta owns Benelli.
There's way more expensive shotguns out there.
So I saw plenty of 28ga online. But only some #6 shot and some rifled slugs in 20ga.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

From 2 bore, to .410 bore the pellet performance tens to be about the same. Pellets of the same weight tend to fly just as far, and penetrate the same. The difference is the density of your patterns. Simply put a larger bore will have less gaps for a small bird to fly through in the shot pattern than a smaller bore. So the smaller your gun, the more precise your shots need to be.

A 28ga is a bit of an experts gun, and it's the reward for doing your homework. Once you get to where you can break over 21 consistently at the skeet range with a 20 bore, you're probably ready for the 28. Once you're consistently shooting over 21 with the 28 ga, you're ready for the field.

It all depends on what you want from your shotgun. I don't use 28ga because I don't want to reload, so I use a 20 bore (and they don't make a 28ga in my favorite shotgun) because its half the way to a 28ga, yet ammo is readily available anywhere you buy shotgun ammo, and its cheap. Now if they made a 28ga Browning A5, and if I decided I'm cool with loading my own, and 28ga would be really nice.

The greatest asset of the 28ga is the weight of both gun and ammo. VERY nice to carry when hunting places that are going to be a physical challenge.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

Great points.
I get it, more shot per round means more density in the circumference of the shot pattern. Guess I'm going to go midstream and get a 20ga. I'll find ammo somewhere.

Been awhile since I shot birds or skeet. So I am getting excited just thinking about it. The county has a great skeet range south of me. Good practice for the field. I used to be a great shot hunting quail, the hardest of the group I think. They are fast and low, up and down quick. Plus they always have a lookout or two in the bush.
I'm looking at the suburban fed quails around my house a little differently of late.

tonguengroover wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:14 pm I had a chance to buy an A5 from an old friend. Reluctantly I passed on it. Mainly because I wanted his Husqvarna Vapenfabriks 30-06. The A5 was a 12ga. They just look heavy.
The A5 by modern standards is heavy, but I don't mind... Shotgun wise, its my first love. I don't recommend it to anyone other than a vintage gun nut like me.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

Re: Benelli 20 ga

So as usual I got the gun, hold lasted two days.
What's funny or not funny is that the assistant manager that checked me out was complaining himself about getting holds, like every time. And he is a veteran Marine, two tours in the Mideast, has a CCW and works in a gun store!
People always say, get a CCW and you can always just walk out the door. Not so.

Anyways here she is. Might name her Sue or Betty. If there was a Beretta in 20ga available I prolly would have gotten that. As you know inventory is super low and I see prices going up so a Benelli 20ga it is.
I gotta read the instructions before I put i together, she's a little complicated and the safety is different than what I'm used to.
Last edited by tonguengroover on Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Attachments
Benelli II.jpg
Benelli I.jpg

FrontSight wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:14 pm That's a VERY cool shotgun. I'd love to get my hands on one, because its a really innovative and different design.
Its the first gun I really have had to study the instructions it's so innovative. Initially got a bad rap when it first came out. There's some Brit on You tube that gave it a bad review. And a few other places like shotgun forums.

But like everything new the bugs got worked out.

The boys will be fighting over this one for sure.

I owe all to you posting a pic of your Benelli. My dad would be all giggling to see it.
I haven't shot skeet for 30-40 years or so.
Do they make just plain ole targets for shotguns so I can check the pattern with different chokes?

Some clubs will have a pattern board set up just for that kind of thing. I’ve also gotten by with cardboard and some spray paint spots to shoot at as well. Actually I think my wife still has cardboard in the back of her car from just such an endeavor.

Quo

tonguengroover wrote:I owe all to you posting a pic of your Benelli. My dad would be all giggling to see it.
I haven't shot skeet for 30-40 years or so.
Do they make just plain ole targets for shotguns so I can check the pattern with different chokes?
It’s called a card board box flattened out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QuoVadis wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:25 pm Some clubs will have a pattern board set up just for that kind of thing. I’ve also gotten by with cardboard and some spray paint spots to shoot at as well. Actually I think my wife still has cardboard in the back of her car from just such an endeavor.

Quo
Well brain fart on my end. The obvious, a large sized folded up box. I was thinking it would have to be a good 6x6 ft area minimum to get the whole picture in.

Oh BTW, the Beretta 686 28ga was gone yesterday at the LGS. Glad I grabbed the Benelli when I did.
I had to go back to get my warranty card stamped. Never heard of that before and neither did the guys at Turners Outdoors. It has to be stamped by the LGS you bought it from and sent to the importer. Or else you have to pay out of pocket for repairs says the information booklet.

tonguengroover wrote:Oh BTW, the Beretta 686 28ga was gone yesterday at the LGS. Glad I grabbed the Benelli when I did.
I had to go back to get my warranty card stamped. Never heard of that before and neither did the guys at Turners Outdoors. It has to be stamped by the LGS you bought it from and sent to the importer. Or else you have to pay out of pocket for repairs says the information booklet.
That’s good to know information; but I bought mine from Sportsman Warehouse so I’m screwed, lol.

That being said … mine’s been flawless so far.

I can’t imagine you having issues with a benelli double gun…? Way less moving parts than even a benelli semi-auto.

FWIW; I think you made the right move passing on 28 ga. Over the long term; I think a 20 ga. Is far more versatile; and shells will eventually be available.

INVICTVS138 wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:23 pm I can’t imagine you having issues with a benelli double gun…? Way less moving parts than even a benelli semi-auto.
You would be shocked at how many moving parts are in a double gun. Doubles have two fire control groups, and a moving weight that transfers from one side to the other (inertial trigger). The forend will have two sets of fire control type parts that power the selective ejectors. Then there's the cocking mechanism which on that particular guns is built into the opening lever.

Double guns are VERY complex, and can be a real pain in the arse to work on.

FrontSight wrote:
INVICTVS138 wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:23 pm I can’t imagine you having issues with a benelli double gun…? Way less moving parts than even a benelli semi-auto.
You would be shocked at how many moving parts are in a double gun. Doubles have two fire control groups, and a moving weight that transfers from one side to the other (inertial trigger). The forend will have two sets of fire control type parts that power the selective ejectors. Then there's the cocking mechanism which on that particular guns is built into the opening lever.

Clearly showing my ignorance on the topic, as I don’t own one, lol.

Actually, the benelli inertia semi-auto system is extremely simplistic. That’s what I love about it.

INVICTVS138 wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:53 pm
FrontSight wrote:

Clearly showing my ignorance on the topic, as I don’t own one, lol.

Actually, the benelli inertia semi-auto system is extremely simplistic. That’s what I love about it.

Yeah doubles are deceptively complex. Kinda like revolvers, the simplicity of operation makes one think its a simplistic mechanism when in fact, it is very complex. Still, they do tend to be exceptionally reliable even with all the complexity.