Re: First revolver?

featureless wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:05 pm
tonguengroover wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:31 pm I don't know why but S&W wheel guns don't appeal to me at all, starting from the looks- like a cat dragged in a rodent. Sorry smiffy lovers.
I could be convinced to love one of these.
They shoot nice.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

sig230 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:27 pm Personally, I would suggest a used S&W Model 10 as the absolute ultimate starter revolver. Get an old police turn in if you can find one and you'll have something that might not be the prettiest thing out there but very likely one sweet shooting handgun that was carried lots and shot little.
As someone whose only revolver is a pre-Model 10 M&P I can vouch for this. It's a great gun!
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

I just saw factory .44 Special for sale at my LGS! Well, on their website. Haven't seen that for yoinks. Once we convince you shooting is fun, reloading is the next step down the rabbithole of investments you never knew you needed to make.

My first time shooting a revolver was .38 Special out of a 2" Kimber K6s. Nice gun, great DAO trigger, shot nicely. OTOH, .357 out of the same smarted a bit. Then I tried a .45 Colt SAA clone, and I fell in love. I had zero intention of ever falling in love with an 'obsolete' and impractical platform like single-action revolvers, but the Zen!

This one's a convertible .45. They usually come with 'plow handle' grips, but I like the birdshead aesthetic. Not recommended for concealed carry. But boom!
Attachments
Blackhawk.jpeg

I would agree with those that said if you are learning to shoot, get a 22. Plus that, going to the range and practicing is a lot cheaper with 22 than with larger calibers. You still learn the basics and it has a lot less recoil and noise. I also have a 1911 and I can shoot up twice a much or more of 22 for what one box of 45 ACP costs. 50 rounds of 22 LR is about $20.00. 45 ACP is about twice that for the same number of rounds of the cheap stuff. Remington, Winchester is more, (I don't shoot the cheap brands)

Although I don't own one, I might add that on the S&W forum they love the 686. A lot of LEO folks carry them as a back up/off duty gun. Apparently it's a very good, easily concealed revolver.
Peter D. EIkenberry
http://newboatbuilders.com
"Don't tell me that I can't, tell me how I can!"

The Rhinos are such awesome looking revolvers! They even have Detective Miller in "The Expanse" using one as a "futuristic gun".
But one of the ranges I go to stopped renting theirs because it broke down too much. Some people have zero problems, others question their reliability. But DAMN! I'd like to shoot one!
This is my Taurus 692 Tracker. Shoots .357/.38 and 9mm with moon clips (tho reviewers say you CAN shoot 9mm without the clips--I haven't tried it). I FINALLY got to try it a week ago and was super-pleased with it. At 15 yards shooting 9mm, I was hitting within about 6" and it was the first time I had shot the gun, and the first time I had shot ANYTHING since Jan 2020! Again, super-pleased with everything but the grip, which is only OK. The little ports at the muzzle that direct gasses upward seem to really help prevent barrel rise. It FEELS solid--I hope it proves to be.
Taurus.jpg
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

And this is a picture of a Ruger 1771. Mine is 100% identical to the picture (except for the S/N, :lol:). It's a super-solid heavy frame with an excellent comfortable grip, shoots .357/38 7 round. But it has more recoil and barrel rise than my Taurus and I have more trouble with accuracy with it--that's all me handling it rather than the piece itself. Both revolvers can be fired in single action or double action. Additionally the Taurus is a 6.5" barrel and the Ruger is 4.2" which also clearly makes a difference.
Ruger1771.JPG
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Wow, those Rhino's look cool in a different way. Still trying to wrap my brain around where the boolit comes out and how that works.
Rugers are just sexy lookin is the only way I can explain it.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

tonguengroover wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:13 am Wow, those Rhino's look cool in a different way. Still trying to wrap my brain around where the boolit comes out and how that works.
Rugers are just sexy lookin is the only way I can explain it.
They are "upside down" to reduce barrel lift and direct recoil straight back rather than angling into your wrist. Love the concept AND the look!

lukan91 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:21 am Thank you!! It's been a blast, pun slightly intended.
I, too, used that pun in a text message to Hiker after spending some range time with Hiker a few months ago!

I have known Hiker IRL for over twenty years, and find her a wonderful person--she's the one who pointed me in the direction of this forum, in fact.
Eventually I'll figure out this signature thing and decide what I want to put here.

BearPaws wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:53 pm
lukan91 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:21 am Thank you!! It's been a blast, pun slightly intended.
I, too, used that pun in a text message to Hiker after spending some range time with Hiker a few months ago!

I have known Hiker IRL for over twenty years, and find her a wonderful person--she's the one who pointed me in the direction of this forum, in fact.
Hiker finds bearpaws. Go figure.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

Well, our first guns at all were revolvers. This was about 13 years ago.

People knock Taurus guns, and on the semi-auto side, I can understand it. But their revolvers are a different story. They make a Model 65 and 66, very similar to S&W's Models 65 and 66. These are very solid, and generally affordable, wheelguns in .357 Magnum. The wife shoots our .38 Special handloads out of hers.

I'm not saying "avoid Colt", because Colts are good, but I would suggest that they're very high priced, even for what they are. See, Colt has become a "collector's item", with prices to match.

If you're shooting mostly .38 Special, which I would strongly suggest because it's an easy shooting round (that's why it's one of our favourites), then any of the following models will do the job with aplomb.

Ruger:
----------
Security-Six, Speed-Six, or Service-Six
GP-100
SP-101 (their original idea of a "compact, lightweight" revolver)
Redhawk (yep, there's a .357M version)

Smith & Wesson:
----------------------------
Any K-frame, which means at least Models 10, 13, 19, 64, 65, 66, and a few others that I'm not remembering off-hand
Any L-frame, which is the new 'n' improved version of the K-frame (Models 586 or 686)
Models 27 or 28, which is the larger N-frame and the original .357M

Taurus:
-----------
Models 65 or 66

Colt (if you're willing to pay that much):
-----------------
Any medium-frame, including the King Cobra and the Python

I personally am partial to the Ruger Security-Six, the Taurus 65, and the S&W K- and L-frames. But that's just personal preference.

Those who say you will spend lots of money if shooting factory ammo are correct. I would strongly suggest you consider getting into handloading/reloading. We reload for everything that we shoot except for .22LR. This makes shooting our revolvers very affordable, though there is an up-front cost. If you're interested in that, let us know, 'cause we've got some (freely available) instructional videos on how to do this.
"SF Liberal With A Gun + Free Software Advocate"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/

Now, if you're considering shooting one of the larger calibers, i. e. the .44's, or .45 Colt, then you again have several good choices. For the .44's, I would recommend going .44 Magnum chambering, because you can also shoot the much lighter-recoiling .44 Special. And if you go .45 Colt, then consider getting a .454 Casull for the flexibility (same reason why you get a .357M model for shooting .38 Spl).

Ruger:
----------
Redhawk in .45 Colt
Super Redhawk in .454 Casull and .45 Colt

S&W:
--------
Models 29 (N-frame, the Dirty Harry .44 Magnum gun) or 629 (the stainless-steel version thereof
Models 25 and 625, the .45 Colt version of the N-frame
Model 69 (K-frame) in .44 Special
Model 696 (L-frame) in .44 Special

Colt (again, very expensive):
-------
Anaconda in .44 Magnum

Note that everything I've listed is a double-action revolver. You can also go single-action "Cowboy style", and those are fun guns, too. I just happen to prefer the double-action (DA) models, personally, so that's what I've got. DA models can also be shot in single-action mode; my wife actually does this typically. We think she was a cowgirl in a previous life. :-)

The .44 Special and .45 Colt rounds are relatively low-pressure and very easy shootin' rounds. Felt recoil is minimal with these, even in a K-frame.

But....

If you do go bigger bore like these, you will definitely need to learn how to handload/reload. Factory ammo for these cartridges is rather dear, indeed. There's no way I could afford to shoot the .45 Colt round, my other favourite behind .38/357, if I didn't handload.

CowboyT wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:39 pmIf you do go bigger bore like these, you will definitely need to learn how to handload/reload. Factory ammo for these cartridges is rather dear, indeed. There's no way I could afford to shoot the .45 Colt round, my other favourite behind .38/357, if I didn't handload.
My favorite handgun round is the .45LC out my Ruger old model Vaquero. I learned how to use the plow handle and I was hooked. Also second fave is .38/.357 out my GP100. .38 for targets you can work on trigger all day with no problem. Load .357 for SD and your brain will be shooting a .38 that first shot that will be dead on. >badda boomp< Definitely reload. I got my money back after five years about fifteen years ago I say.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

My first was an 1895 Nagant. Worst.trigger.pull.ever. Look for a usedS&W Model 10. I found one last year at Gander for less than 250. Jordanian police surplus.. Light trigger and a lot of holster wear but a great iconic wheel gun.

Sent from my SM-A125U using Tapatalk

Cynistoicureanism: The world view best expressed by "I can't trust 'em any farther then I can throw 'em, There's nothing I can do about it anyway, So let's have a drink".

I really like my 686. But for sheer fun you can’t beat an SAA. ( In fact, one of the most accurate pistols I’ve had were a pair of Uberti replicas of the Remington 1858 with Taylor’s conversion cylinders.) A Ruger Single-Six is a great way to start, though obviously not ideal for EDC.
Fully vaccinated, under-caffeinated.

CDFingers wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:51 pm
CowboyT wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:39 pmIf you do go bigger bore like these, you will definitely need to learn how to handload/reload. Factory ammo for these cartridges is rather dear, indeed. There's no way I could afford to shoot the .45 Colt round, my other favourite behind .38/357, if I didn't handload.
My favorite handgun round is the .45LC out my Ruger old model Vaquero. I learned how to use the plow handle and I was hooked. Also second fave is .38/.357 out my GP100. .38 for targets you can work on trigger all day with no problem. Load .357 for SD and your brain will be shooting a .38 that first shot that will be dead on. >badda boomp< Definitely reload. I got my money back after five years about fifteen years ago I say.

CDFingers
We have similar tastes, then. :-) The wife is a laser with .38 Spl, BTW, so anyone messes with her and she's got .357M loaded...they're in for a world o' hurt! :-D

Took that long, eh? Hmm. With .45 Colt, it only took me about eight boxes of ammo for the .45 Colt press setup to pay for itself. Since I do shoot it regularly, that was about three to four weeks. Same thing with .44 Special. If I do the same analysis with my ".45 Colt Magnum" load (similar to Buffalo Bore), it's about three boxes.

The .38/357 press took a little longer, a couple of months, but that's still all it took. That press setup paid for itself pretty darn quickly.

The casting gear paid for itself in one day. It's amazing how much you save per round by casting your own. Fortunately, .45 Colt is very often shot at CAS matches, which tend to be cast-bullet-friendly ranges. Also fortunately, so is my range, even though it's indoor. People in, for example, California who cast their own tend to powder-coat them and then load 'em up, for those ranges that don't like cast bullets.

First revolver?

CowboyT wrote:
CDFingers wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:51 pm

CDFingers
We have similar tastes, then. :-) The wife is a laser with .38 Spl, BTW, so anyone messes with her and she's got .357M loaded...they're in for a world o' hurt! :-D

Took that long, eh? Hmm. With .45 Colt, it only took me about eight boxes of ammo for the .45 Colt press setup to pay for itself. Since I do shoot it regularly, that was about three to four weeks. Same thing with .44 Special. If I do the same analysis with my ".45 Colt Magnum" load (similar to Buffalo Bore), it's about three boxes.

The .38/357 press took a little longer, a couple of months, but that's still all it took. That press setup paid for itself pretty darn quickly.

The casting gear paid for itself in one day. It's amazing how much you save per round by casting your own. Fortunately, .45 Colt is very often shot at CAS matches, which tend to be cast-bullet-friendly ranges. Also fortunately, so is my range, even though it's indoor. People in, for example, California who cast their own tend to powder-coat them and then load 'em up, for those ranges that don't like cast bullets.
I just started loading/casting for .45 Colt this year. So far I love the round & its very versatile when chambered in a Beefy single action like a Blackhawk. So far, I’m only loading at the max of my Lyman reloading manual, (Not the Thmpson/encore section) which is well below the capability of these 2 firearms. I’m going to go down the rabbit-hole of optimizing a load for my Henry X-model, this coming year. I only have a small amount of 2400 and that seems to be the preference. If I can only land some more 2400! I have quite a bit of H-110 & that isn’t as versatile. It doesn’t need to be super stompy, just optimized for accuracy with powder, bullet weight.

As you can se below - I’m a better hand-gunner than rifleman… probably the opposite of everyone else. .45 Colt Blackhawk group is below the .357 group and smaller than the Carbine…

.45 Colts chambered single actions are just plain fun to shoot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't need to go to the max. Mine hum out at 950 fps, way below max, but they're totally accurate at 25 yards, around Bullseye distance. My Vaquero does not have adjustable sights, so I'm lucky this load is so sweet. 250 gr lrnfp over 8.5 gr Unique.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

That's true. My load using Titegroup is not a max load, either. Turns out to be mid-level, according to the books. Basically, I came up with ten powder charges for use with the 200gr cast bullet, tried 'em all, and settled on the one that shoots most precisely.

Same thing happened with my "Magnum" load, which does use 2400...a powerful load, for sure. The sweet spot seems to be a range of 0.5gr, and as long as I'm within that sweet spot, the load is, in the words of Mona Lisa Vito, "dead-on-balls accurate". :-D

As with CDFingers, I go for safety first, followed immediately by precision.

Some of those Rock Island revolvers are super cheap which seems like a miracle now when most other brands charge a mint. Some people like them. Taurus is kind of in the middle for price. I’d go with wadcutters for 38 because hollowpoints that will actually expand out of a short barrel are awful to shoot, wads punch a nice hole and are also lower recoil for practice than FMJ but you may have to mail order them.
22 revolvers are fun but they tend to get gunked up quickly while shooting and need to be cleaned way more frequently to function properly.