'What wannabe totalitarian, fascist dictators do': Alarm over DeSantis move to form his own 'personal militia'

Critics are responding with alarm to news Florida GOP Governor Ron DeSantis is asking for millions of taxpayer funds to create his own militia force, separate from the existing National Guard.

CNN calls it "a World War II-era civilian military force that he, not the Pentagon, would control." And while the law allows for the move, it was created "as a temporary force to fill the void left behind" when the state's National Guard was deployed overseas, and "disbanded after the war ended."

But the highly-controversial Florida Republican, seen as one of the top 2024 GOP presidential candidates, is also making clear his motives are a further escalation in his war of words against the Biden administration.

"DeSantis also said this unit, called the Florida State Guard, would be 'not encumbered by the federal government.' He said this force would give him 'the flexibility and the ability needed to respond to events in our state in the most effective way possible.'"

It's also being seen as one more potential attack on science during the coronavirus pandemic era. All National Guard members must be vaccinated. DeSantis opposes all vaccine and mask mandates and has invited unvaccinated, fired police officers from others states to move to Florida – and offering them a $5000 payment.

Former Florida Gov. Charlie Crist, now a U.S. Congressman but running to unseat DeSantis, called DeSantis' militia a "handpicked secret police" force.

Perhaps one of the strongest warnings comes from SiriusXM Progress host Dean Obeidallah, who calls it "the beginning of a 'Red Army' as the GOP prepares for war."

"The same Republicans who claim Jan 6 was not a terrorist attack but just a 'tourist visit' now tell us not to be concerned with Ron DeSantis forming a personal militia that he says will 'not encumbered by the federal government,'" Obeidallah adds. "This is a Red Army!!!"

MSNBC's Joy Reid likened the move to fascism, asking: "So… y’all know this is fascisty bananas, right…?"

Attorney and DeSantis critic Daniel Uhlfelder noted the governor's "classic authoritarian move" on bringing his son to the announcement.

"More setting up for 2024 coup!" tweeted Amy Siskind, The New Agenda founder and author of The Weekly List.

Research and strategic communication CEO Fernand Amandi describes DeSantis' move as "What wannabe totalitarian, fascist, authoritarian dictators do."
https://www.alternet.org/2021/12/desantis-militia/

Yep, Hitler had the SA and Mussolini had his Black Shirts. So DeSatan wants his Florida Stare Guard. Is their motto going to be I Stand My Ground or I Felt Threatened For My Life?
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Re: 'What wannabe totalitarian, fascist dictators do': Alarm over DeSantis move to form his own 'personal militia'

This is the dead land
This is cactus land
Here the stone images
Are raised, here they receive
The supplication of a dead man’s hand
Under the twinkle of a fading star.

This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a whimper.

T.S. ELIOT
Getting old, or is it just me?

Re: 'What wannabe totalitarian, fascist dictators do': Alarm over DeSantis move to form his own 'personal militia'

Wild. This is all being done in an attempt to intimidate. Like the Black Shirts or the Red Guard. The Cult is taking things really to the extreme, and it's completely unneccessary. They care nothing for economy, prosperity, public health, policy, or Constitutional norms. It's pure dogma.

"Anakin, my allegiance is to the Republic, to democracy!" - Obi Wan Kenobi

A state guard is nothing new. Oregon has had one forever as an adjunct to the NG. https://www.oregon.gov/omd/programs/pag ... force.aspx. They've been activated several times to help with disasters.

Sent from my SM-A125U using Tapatalk

Cynistoicureanism: The world view best expressed by "I can't trust 'em any farther then I can throw 'em, There's nothing I can do about it anyway, So let's have a drink".

Yeah, that. One of the applications of the 2nd that doesn't tend to get much discussion - "A well regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free State" and all. States are explicitly allowed to have their own armed forces. Deep historical precedents and parallel institutions in other states.

Now, from a Constitutional perspective - it's supposed to be well regulated. That's where it all falls down, of course.

This SCOTUS favors devolving powers to the states. My guess is they will let this stand if it is challenged. They will do that with Roe v. stuff, with gun rights in Calif by letting mag size restrictions stand, and with health care--among other issues.

I should campaign in California such that we appropriate ALL federal lands within our borders and charge the Feds retroactive rent on all military bases. That will put kinks in their boxers and bras. Punks.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Desantis is more dangerous to the Republic than trump. Especially since he was in the military so he knows how to better purge it.

If he gets in the Oval Office (likely via fraud) he has the actual experience to completely gut the military of “Constitution first” senior leadership.

Trumps arrogance of and ignorance about the Military really saved our bacon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wings wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:20 pm Yeah, that. One of the applications of the 2nd that doesn't tend to get much discussion - "A well regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free State" and all. States are explicitly allowed to have their own armed forces. Deep historical precedents and parallel institutions in other states.

Now, from a Constitutional perspective - it's supposed to be well regulated. That's where it all falls down, of course.
The only obstacle is that private armies/militias are not allowed. Seems like a grey area though.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

It's worth mentioning--as noted in a video by Beau of the Fifth Column--that the budget for this is all but farcical. The money is about enough to pay one militia member per county plus one or two supervisors at the pay rate of the average Florida cop for a year.

No phone, no pool, no pets, er, toys. No pens, no paper, no computers. Just the payroll.
Eventually I'll figure out this signature thing and decide what I want to put here.

tonguengroover wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:37 am
wings wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:20 pm Yeah, that. One of the applications of the 2nd that doesn't tend to get much discussion - "A well regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free State" and all. States are explicitly allowed to have their own armed forces. Deep historical precedents and parallel institutions in other states.

The only obstacle is that private armies/militias are not allowed. Seems like a grey area though.
But it isn't private. It's under the legal authority of the state executive officer. The fact that this particular officer is a bootlicking reactionary is irrelevant to statute.

Now, if we want to get into the illegal private army problem, there's always corporate security forces. Private contractors seem to get by under the fig leaf of providing government services, but that's a gray area that makes me very nervous.
BearPaws wrote: It's worth mentioning--as noted in a video by Beau of the Fifth Column--that the budget for this is all but farcical. The money is about enough to pay one militia member per county plus one or two supervisors at the pay rate of the average Florida cop for a year.

No phone, no pool, no pets, er, toys. No pens, no paper, no computers. Just the payroll.
I appreciate this nuance. The same states that make us nervous are the ones that don't want to pay for effective forces.

wings wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:09 pm
tonguengroover wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:37 am

But it isn't private. It's under the legal authority of the state executive officer. The fact that this particular officer is a bootlicking reactionary is irrelevant to statute.

Now, if we want to get into the illegal private army problem, there's always corporate security forces. Private contractors seem to get by under the fig leaf of providing government services, but that's a gray area that makes me very nervous.
BearPaws wrote: It's worth mentioning--as noted in a video by Beau of the Fifth Column--that the budget for this is all but farcical. The money is about enough to pay one militia member per county plus one or two supervisors at the pay rate of the average Florida cop for a year.

I appreciate this nuance. The same states that make us nervous are the ones that don't want to pay for effective forces.
Understood if the governor is doing it legit its not private.
Welfare red ststes.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

JColville wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:17 pm A state guard is nothing new. Oregon has had one forever as an adjunct to the NG. https://www.oregon.gov/omd/programs/pag ... force.aspx. They've been activated several times to help with disasters.

Sent from my SM-A125U using Tapatalk
Exactly, DeSantis didn't invent the concept of a state guard.
Florida would become the 23rd state with a state guard recognized by the federal government, if successful.
All the state guards are under the control of state governors.
Florida Governor Ron DeSantis proposed reinstating a state military division under his control, an idea he said would give the state flexibility to respond to natural disasters and other emergencies.

DeSantis, a Republican, said he wants to allocate $3.5 million in the state’s budget to reestablish the civilian volunteer force, with training and equipment for 200 members. He said the force’s main jobs would include aiding the Florida National Guard in responding to hurricanes and similar events.

But the Democrats seeking to challenge him for the governorship in 2022 immediately blasted the idea. Senator Annette Taddeo called it a move for a “vigilante militia” under his control, while Rep. Charlie Crist likened the idea to creating a “handpicked secret police.”

The Florida State Guard was disbanded after World War II, but DeSantis said other states currently have such forces. He said the force would help respond to emergencies in “the most effective way possible.”

“Some of that will require us to be able to have access and be able to use support in ways that are not encumbered by the federal government or don’t require federal government,” he said Thursday from Pensacola.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... itary-unit

Left wing media makes it out to be his own personal militia that will wage war on his opponents, it's just partisan politics.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

INVICTVS138 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:35 am Desantis is more dangerous to the Republic than trump. Especially since he was in the military so he knows how to better purge it.

If he gets in the Oval Office (likely via fraud) he has the actual experience to completely gut the military of “Constitution first” senior leadership.

Trumps arrogance of and ignorance about the Military really saved our bacon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And I'll add the ignorance of many around trump the traitor..who were more concerned about coat tail power than actually understanding Government.

BearPaws wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:16 pm It's worth mentioning--as noted in a video by Beau of the Fifth Column--that the budget for this is all but farcical. The money is about enough to pay one militia member per county plus one or two supervisors at the pay rate of the average Florida cop for a year.

If its a volunteer force, I don't think you get paid (at least not regularly) I think the point is that he wants to be able to put a 1000 Kyle Rittenhouses' on the street and protect them from any liability when they start shooting.

What's the line? "Illegal orders are illegal, not orders."

Under Article 92 of the UCMJ, members of the armed forces are only expected to follow lawful orders. "Just following orders" hasn't been a valid defense since before Nuremberg. Of course, IANAL. Certainly not military grade.

My understanding is that most governors have authority to conscript the disorganized militia - that is, everyone legally able to serve but not otherwise serving - into a state guard under emergency power provisions. Every Kyle could be posted on the street with whatever firearm they are legally entitled to bear, ready to protect and serve. They start shooting the college kids protesting the war, they are still going to face trial. If the governor ordered them to shoot, he has liability.

Now, self-organize a militia to round up 'enemies of the republic' for summary execution, and you're deep into war crimes.

FrontSight wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:55 am His own personal militia within a nation. Should we call him Mohamed Farrah Desantis. Will he start controlling the food supply with that militia?

Yeah, I can't think of anything that could possibly go wrong with this idea.
Another example of the AmericanTaliban...unfortunately, if this fascist becomes POTUS, he will undoubtedly create a putin-esque force..to protect his fat ass.