Ruger LCP II in 22lr

If you go to U-tube there are currently quiet a few videos reviewing the Ruger LCPII in 22lr. I don't understand the interest in this gun now since it came out in December 2019. The reviewers always refer to the gun as "new". That aside, the gun is interesting and they always compare it to the LCPII in .380. I have the .380 version of this gun and I agree with the critics that it is not a fun gun to shoot. The recoil is pretty snappy and the grip is not comfortable - for me anyway. Practically all the videos on the .22lr version of this gun seem to be pretty positive. I like the extended mag with a capacity of 10+1 rounds compared to the .380 version with only 6+1 capacity. The manual safety on the .22lr is a bit weird in that it moves horizontally instead of up and down. But while the reviews of this gun are positive and I have no doubt it is a fun gun to shoot, this brings up the question of whether you would carry a .22lr pocket pistol for self-defense. I can see the argument for and against doing so from both sides so I will reserve my opinion for now. But I would love to hear from members who have opinions on this question.

Re: Ruger LCP II in 22lr

It’s always interesting to have a .22LR variant of a larger caliber handgun one uses. I haven’t tried any variant of the LCP, but it would be interesting to shoot side by side. I have a .22LR variant of a few of my handguns with a larger caliber sibling.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

highdesert wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:31 am Beretta made the Bobcat for years and it was in 22lr. The lowest recoil for someone who has problems with larger calibers. Better than a stick.
It’s a nice little gun. I don’t think it has a direct larger caliber sibling. A few cousins that are equally nice. Wouldn’t mind getting a Bobcat just to have. It wouldn’t be a bad pocket carry. Sorry about the side track. The LCP II looks like a decent training tool to go with the larger caliber variant. Still I don’t exactly need more so, I’m not looking to expand. I’m just starting to think about getting back to a range more often.LOL
Like the OP, wouldn’t mind hearing some experienced comments on this gun from members.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

sikacz wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:38 am
highdesert wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:31 am Beretta made the Bobcat for years and it was in 22lr. The lowest recoil for someone who has problems with larger calibers. Better than a stick.
It’s a nice little gun. I don’t think it has a direct larger caliber sibling. A few cousins that are equally nice. Wouldn’t mind getting a Bobcat just to have. It wouldn’t be a bad pocket carry. Sorry about the side track. The LCP II looks like a decent training tool to go with the larger caliber variant. Still I don’t exactly need more so, I’m not looking to expand. I’m just starting to think about getting back to a range more often. LOL

Like the OP, wouldn’t mind hearing some experienced comments on this gun from members.

For a training pistol, I'd recommend the Bersa in 22lr, it's an aluminum alloy frame and not polymer, better at absorbing recoil.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Ruger was marketing it primarily as a training companion for the .380 when it came out. All sorts of cynical thoughts apply here - why sell one gun when you can sell two?

With careful ammunition selection, you can get over 12" penetration from a short-barrel .22LR in ballistic gel. Of course, the .380s that penetrate the same start out bigger, then expand - and the ones that don't expand can go another 10". And it doesn't have the rimfire reliability problem. There's no question .380 is more adequate for defensive purposes, only the tired debate about how adequate is too adequate.

What you do get with the LCPII in .22LR is 10 shots in a tiny platform. You can't miss fast enough, but every round in the mag is an option. We can have the same debate about 10 vs. 6 shots in larger calibers too. Tradeoffs.

wings wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:24 pm Ruger was marketing it primarily as a training companion for the .380 when it came out. All sorts of cynical thoughts apply here - why sell one gun when you can sell two?

With careful ammunition selection, you can get over 12" penetration from a short-barrel .22LR in ballistic gel. Of course, the .380s that penetrate the same start out bigger, then expand - and the ones that don't expand can go another 10". And it doesn't have the rimfire reliability problem. There's no question .380 is more adequate for defensive purposes, only the tired debate about how adequate is too adequate.

What you do get with the LCPII in .22LR is 10 shots in a tiny platform. You can't miss fast enough, but every round in the mag is an option. We can have the same debate about 10 vs. 6 shots in larger calibers too. Tradeoffs.
The training companion is what I would expect it to be.

Skeptilius wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:47 am If you go to U-tube there are currently quiet a few videos reviewing the Ruger LCPII in 22lr. I don't understand the interest in this gun now since it came out in December 2019. The reviewers always refer to the gun as "new". That aside, the gun is interesting and they always compare it to the LCPII in .380. I have the .380 version of this gun and I agree with the critics that it is not a fun gun to shoot. The recoil is pretty snappy and the grip is not comfortable - for me anyway. Practically all the videos on the .22lr version of this gun seem to be pretty positive. I like the extended mag with a capacity of 10+1 rounds compared to the .380 version with only 6+1 capacity. The manual safety on the .22lr is a bit weird in that it moves horizontally instead of up and down. But while the reviews of this gun are positive and I have no doubt it is a fun gun to shoot, this brings up the question of whether you would carry a .22lr pocket pistol for self-defense. I can see the argument for and against doing so from both sides so I will reserve my opinion for now. But I would love to hear from members who have opinions on this question.
Considering the Ruger LCP/22 is nearly the same size as the Ruger .380LCPII(22LR version actually fatter and heavier), why would anybody 'choose' to carry this 22?

F4FEver wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:51 am Considering the Ruger LCP/22 is nearly the same size as the Ruger .380LCPII(22LR version actually fatter and heavier), why would anybody 'choose' to carry this 22?
Personal choice.

I carry a 32acp that is almost always larger and heavier than many of the 380s that I own. I have ample ammunition and holsters for either format yet find I have greater control when under stress with the 7.65 caliber handguns than with my 9mm Kurz (Corto, .380) ones.

I often carry a 25acp rather than any of my larger caliber handguns because the 25acps are far easier to conceal and I am confident that I can control them when under stress.

If I ever have to use a handgun in a self-defense situation it will only be as an absolute last resort.

And I even carry one of my 22lr handguns rather than any of the above. In fact, my Walther 22lr PPK/s is pretty hefty and again bigger than many of my .380s. The reason once again is that the 22lr PPK/s is super reliable and very, very controllable.

Individuals make individual choices.

As an aside, of all the handguns I own my Ruger LCP has got to be in contention for my least favorite of them all and I would not choose to own one of the LCP2 in any caliber even if they were free.

To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

Personal choice.

Of course..each makes up their mind depending on their own wants, needs, perceptions, ability, budget, etc, etc. Why I often choose to carry my Glock 42 instead of my Glock 48 or G-17..BUT, all things being sorta equal, size, shootability, concealability..I just don't get carrying a 22lr instead of some other caliber...The gent asked for a discussion..discussing... I get the allure of a small 25 or 32...I think a Walther type 32acp is pretty keen..

As for the LCP..I had one, 'strawberry' in color..the bigger sight version of the first gen..and I really disliked it..NO FUN to shoot and all my guns gotta pas the FTS(Fun To Shoot) test...BUT, it was only $175...

I read that the trigger group changes between LCP and LCPII were - shall we say, substantial? Their similarities are skin deep. Never shot either, and it's not a format that appeals to me in any case.

If I had to pick one, I might go .380 for terminal ballistics, but the new max variant seems a wiser choice. Depends on your purposes though. If the role is primary self-defense weapon - again, I'd pick something else. Either might suit as a BUG. If you're carrying multiple guns anyway, I've seen the point made that making the BUG a .22 - think kit gun. It has practical applications ranging from noise to ammunition availability and weight to the 10 > 6 argument. If you need to discourage pursuit or shoot out headlights, or otherwise pretend you're a covert operative, it might be better than wasting rounds you might need later. I'd certainly rather use it for small game or a wilderness SOS.

I have the first LCP, and the most recent LCP Max. NONE of the LCP’s are really “easy” to shoot, and I don’t find them enjoyable to shoot. It’s a hideout gun, its supposed to be carried a lot, and shot very little. If I find an LCP II .22 at a LGS, I will take a fondle because I’m a little interested in it as a training aid. But I fear the grip will be different enough from my LCP Max that it won’t much qualify as a sub-caliber trainer… We’ll see.

Would I carry a .22lr for defense? Well, not if I have other viable options. But if I don’t have other viable options, then hell yes. A 5-7 round “burst” of .22lr is enough to make your attacker investigate why his chest is starting to hurt. That gives you sufficient time to Nike-Kwon-Do it the fuck out of there.

The .22 is a killer, it just doesn’t kill real fast.

But if you have the stones, the .22 can get the job done. Read about Mordechai Rahamim’s little El-Al flight to Switzerland back in 1969; he seems to have fared well with his little .22.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

FrontSight wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:44 am I have the first LCP, and the most recent LCP Max. NONE of the LCP’s are really “easy” to shoot, and I don’t find them enjoyable to shoot. It’s a hideout gun, its supposed to be carried a lot, and shot very little. If I find an LCP II .22 at a LGS, I will take a fondle because I’m a little interested in it as a training aid. But I fear the grip will be different enough from my LCP Max that it won’t much qualify as a sub-caliber trainer… We’ll see.

Would I carry a .22lr for defense? Well, not if I have other viable options. But if I don’t have other viable options, then hell yes. A 5-7 round “burst” of .22lr is enough to make your attacker investigate why his chest is starting to hurt. That gives you sufficient time to Nike-Kwon-Do it the fuck out of there.

But if you have the stones, the .22 can get the job done. Read about Mordechai Rahamim’s little El-Al flight to Switzerland back in 1969; he seems to have fared well with his little .22.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txOqq5D-oIk

https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/alterna ... ping-power

Unfortunately I'm very familiar with the wounding potential of most handgun cartridges. I was a paramedic for 16 years. Most people shot with .22's that I have treated had a LOT of fight still in them. Some eventually died, most survived, but few were actually "stopped" by the .22. I can recall a couple of patients who were DOA, and one teenager who was paralyzed. Everyone else had a lot of fight still in them.

As for other handgun cartridges, its surprising and probably would be shocking to some how few people were truly stopped with just one or two shots.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

I have one, they come with a pocket holster, it’s a low recoil high capacity pocket pistol for people that can’t handle 380 guns this small and or want 10+1. The slide is very easy to rack so it probably recoils harder than any 22 ever made which isn’t a big deal but the ergos are awful so it’s not all that enjoyable to shoot. I can’t even imagine how terrible the 380 version would be. With a Hogue grip sleeve on it it’s much more comfortable but then you are at about the thickness of the Beretta 21a and Taurus PT which are available in 25 acp which is a much more reliable round. Some people experience a lot of light strikes at least during the break in and I commonly will have a CCI Minimag that won’t go off even after I load it back into the magazine several times. So 2 things: I’d like to see the grip rounded for better ergos and 25 acp which is roughly on par with 22lr. If you want 32acp just get a Keltec P32 but those are even lighter and may beat up your hand after 100 rounds and don’t feature a manual safety, use FMJ because HP will rimlock.

UncleJon wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:22 am I have one, they come with a pocket holster, it’s a low recoil high capacity pocket pistol for people that can’t handle 380 guns this small and or want 10+1. The slide is very easy to rack so it probably recoils harder than any 22 ever made which isn’t a big deal but the ergos are awful so it’s not all that enjoyable to shoot. I can’t even imagine how terrible the 380 version would be. With a Hogue grip sleeve on it it’s much more comfortable but then you are at about the thickness of the Beretta 21a and Taurus PT which are available in 25 acp which is a much more reliable round. Some people experience a lot of light strikes at least during the break in and I commonly will have a CCI Minimag that won’t go off even after I load it back into the magazine several times. So 2 things: I’d like to see the grip rounded for better ergos and 25 acp which is roughly on par with 22lr. If you want 32acp just get a Keltec P32 but those are even lighter and may beat up your hand after 100 rounds and don’t feature a manual safety, use FMJ because HP will rimlock.
I had a LCP, .380, V2 of gen 1 and really no fun to shoot. Small but yeegads...At least it was 'strawberry'...$185 out the door but traded it...
7f307aa92ade5d750f4ce3fbc1fc3c3d.jpg
7f307aa92ade5d750f4ce3fbc1fc3c3d.jpg (9.9 KiB) Viewed 5586 times

FrontSight wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:44 am I have the first LCP, and the most recent LCP Max. NONE of the LCP’s are really “easy” to shoot, and I don’t find them enjoyable to shoot. It’s a hideout gun, its supposed to be carried a lot, and shot very little. If I find an LCP II .22 at a LGS, I will take a fondle because I’m a little interested in it as a training aid. But I fear the grip will be different enough from my LCP Max that it won’t much qualify as a sub-caliber trainer… We’ll see.

Couldn't have said it better.

BSW

F4FEver wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:58 am
I had a LCP, .380, V2 of gen 1 and really no fun to shoot. Small but yeegads...At least it was 'strawberry'...$185 out the door but traded it...

7f307aa92ade5d750f4ce3fbc1fc3c3d.jpg
I believe it although the ergos at least look smoother and more comfortable on that model.

Lost the recoil spring while replacing it with an aftermarket 10% stronger one(to reduce recoil in my case). I want to try lead free Norma Ecospeed 24 gr as a practice round and suspect that it might work because the spring in this gun is super weak but the OEM spring is a better bet. Called Ruger this morning, was on hold for 10 seconds before a person answered. They were very polite and are sending me a new spring for free. I’d call that fantastic customer service! Will report back here after I try that ammo.

In a pocket holster this pistol looks pretty bulgie in my front pocket, my wallet is a good bit smaller. It would look smaller with a shorter grip. It’s kind of a bummer that the hammer(?) spring goes down into the grip behind the magazine because it would otherwise probably be fairly easy to chop. But still my mind wonders. Being a 22 it would still be shootable with a one finger grip.
C83D7AB2-7859-4A5B-A7C9-4567F1EB0D77.jpeg
02BBC164-4691-44A7-89C4-F9F07E70E9DC.jpeg
3E470FF9-0D4E-4CCF-BE2C-615AAEA8B7B1.jpeg