Re: Few things are as glorious

YankeeTarheel wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:28 pm
highdesert wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:10 pm
YankeeTarheel wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:40 pm
highdesert wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:20 am Never understood the coffee addiction, but to each his own. It's below freezing here so I'm sipping brandy in hot water which warms me up. Here's to everyone enjoying their legal addictions !
"Never understood the coffee addiction"

Well, it's how it smells and how it tastes, and how the caffeine helps you wake up. Simple. Either you like it or you don't. I drink my coffee black, no milk or sugar. That's how I like it. My wife likes Coffeemate and Sweet 'n' Low.

I suppose a toddy is good, but I like Cirroc and Cardinal Mendoza brandies neat. Cognac's only OK. but I love Armagnac.

I like the smell of coffee, just never got used to the taste. But taste is an individual thing, I'm a minority. Cirroc and Cardenal Mendoza are good brandies. The Italians are known for their grappa. A German couple introduced me to Slivovitz which is Eastern European plum brandy, an acquired taste.
There are also white rums (primarily from Martinique) known as "grappe"--similar to Italian grappa. Italians also make a liqueur called "Amaro" which vary widely according to each brand's secret recipe. Some are quite weird, others very sweet. I prefer Ramazzotti which tastes like sweet burnt orange peels, to me. Slivovitz is a name from my childhood, but I'm not sure I ever tasted it.

When I spent a semester in Bruges, at the College of Europe, all the students put on parties with the food and drink from their respective countries. The most fun was the Irish/Danish party with Guinness and Aqva Vit...never saw a room get SO drunk so fast doing shots of the latter! Naturally, I have NO memory of the food........... One French prof, a M. Lory, became hilarious. He was the nicest man, but his English was atrocious and his teaching style worse.

Back to coffee...if you don't like the taste, you don't like the taste. I don't drink tea unless I'm sick or in an Asian restaurant. I used to be fond of Matte and Lapsang Souchong, but I can live without them if there's decent coffee. I cannot STAND Starbuck's coffee in any form whatsoever. People who love Starbuck's? When they recommend restaurants, I won't go to them!

Lapsang Souchong is not my thing, a smoky tasting tea. Not the same as scotch whisky with it's smoky taste.

I've known people who so adulterate their coffee with cream and sugar or flavored "Coffee Creamers" that it's no longer coffee. Don't waste money on quality coffee when the cheap stuff works just as well when adulterated. I like the smell of coffee and McConnell's Turkish Coffee Ice Cream is divine.

Had plenty of employees who were Starbuck's devotees, especially in the mornings on the way to work or before meetings. I never got hooked, always the odd one.
Last edited by highdesert on Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Equal Exchange French Roast, fair trade, organic, mostly woman owned.

Beans ground fresh, a giant French press, w/RO water.

The brew gets laced with Kirkland Irish Cream.

Every morning.

Hibiscus tea every nite, same method without the booze.

We even have a go-kit for travel so as to not be deprived. A very tasty habit.

SR
Last edited by SubRosa on Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Oozing charm from every pore, he oiled his way around the floor."

Oh, yeah. I'm a big fan of espresso. But I'm also lazy. When I go out I pay for labor and get espresso. At home I drip, and from time to time achieve that nirvana of balance, the perfect cuppa Joe. Sometimes when I'm out I'll have a drip plus a shot. I think I'm always chasing that buzz I got as a young cook hyped on coffee whipping through my first stampede rush on the daily special. Now that I'm one foot in the grave (my Native name) I love the fat taste of strong drip with honey to taste, making for an enriched experience suitable for hosting a lap cat while watching America's Cup videos in the recliner. Take me now.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Well, I should spank myself.
“Severe weather in Brazil, the world’s largest arabica supplier, decimated coffee plantations, contributing to a global shortage just as demand for the high-end variety of beans expanded. That coincided with supply chain bottlenecks including container shortages and longer shipping times,” Bloomberg explained.
https://www.nationandstate.com/2022/01/ ... ince-1994/

That's a right wing site that gives good financial links. Sort of a strange window into their reality: money numbers are real, but the rest are fair game.

CDFingers

Aye mate, it's hard to stock up on the luscious fruit beans. I'm in a state of bewildering confusion and disorder when it comes to storage.
Some say freeze them, some say opaque airtight containers. We have a friend who has a coffee business that says never freeze but then you risk mold and mildew.

So I never buy starbucks beans for multiple reasons. I like Jose's Organic Mayan medium dark roast I get at Costco. The aroma oozing out of the bag makes me want to just want to stick my head inside the bag. It's a 2.5lb bag so I need to store it so I'm always going back an forth on the freezing issue.
I think I may use my vacuum storage thing to store them in smaller lots.

Even when I travel I will grind some to take. Unless I'm going to South America. It's all heavenly good down there.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

Green coffee beans do well vac packed and frozen (1-2 years by some estimates) roasted, not so much (few weeks if not couple months - no freeze. I use by Food Saver Vac on green & freeze. Keep green pound ambient temp or so in vacced Mason Jars or ZipLoc qt. for quick roasting. I love, but I'm not a coffee connoisseur, so expect I've drank a lot of stale coffee over the years - like some things - the worst I ever had was wonderful! LOL
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

The Finns are very smart, they're protecting their livers.
Top foods and drinks for liver health

Some of the best foods and drinks that are good for the liver include the following.

1. Coffee

One 2014 review suggests that over 50%Trusted Source of people in the United States consume coffee daily.

Coffee appears to be good for the liver, especially because it protects against issues such as fatty liver disease.

The review also notes that daily coffee intake may help reduce the risk of chronic liver disease. It may also protect the liver from damaging conditions, such as liver cancer.

A 2014 study Trusted Source suggests that the protective effects of coffee may be due to how it influences liver enzymes.

Coffee, it reports, seems to reduce fat buildup in the liver. It also increases protective antioxidants in the liver. The compounds in coffee also help liver enzymes rid the body of cancer-causing substances.
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articl ... best-foods
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:04 pm
YankeeTarheel wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:28 pm
highdesert wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:10 pm
YankeeTarheel wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:40 pm

"Never understood the coffee addiction"

Well, it's how it smells and how it tastes, and how the caffeine helps you wake up. Simple. Either you like it or you don't. I drink my coffee black, no milk or sugar. That's how I like it. My wife likes Coffeemate and Sweet 'n' Low.

I suppose a toddy is good, but I like Cirroc and Cardinal Mendoza brandies neat. Cognac's only OK. but I love Armagnac.

I like the smell of coffee, just never got used to the taste. But taste is an individual thing, I'm a minority. Cirroc and Cardenal Mendoza are good brandies. The Italians are known for their grappa. A German couple introduced me to Slivovitz which is Eastern European plum brandy, an acquired taste.
There are also white rums (primarily from Martinique) known as "grappe"--similar to Italian grappa. Italians also make a liqueur called "Amaro" which vary widely according to each brand's secret recipe. Some are quite weird, others very sweet. I prefer Ramazzotti which tastes like sweet burnt orange peels, to me. Slivovitz is a name from my childhood, but I'm not sure I ever tasted it.

When I spent a semester in Bruges, at the College of Europe, all the students put on parties with the food and drink from their respective countries. The most fun was the Irish/Danish party with Guinness and Aqva Vit...never saw a room get SO drunk so fast doing shots of the latter! Naturally, I have NO memory of the food........... One French prof, a M. Lory, became hilarious. He was the nicest man, but his English was atrocious and his teaching style worse.

Back to coffee...if you don't like the taste, you don't like the taste. I don't drink tea unless I'm sick or in an Asian restaurant. I used to be fond of Matte and Lapsang Souchong, but I can live without them if there's decent coffee. I cannot STAND Starbuck's coffee in any form whatsoever. People who love Starbuck's? When they recommend restaurants, I won't go to them!

Lapsang Souchong is not my thing, a smoky tasting tea. Not the same as scotch whisky with it's smoky taste.

I've known people who so adulterate their coffee with cream and sugar or flavored "Coffee Creamers" that it's no longer coffee. Don't waste money on quality coffee when the cheap stuff works just as well when adulterated. I like the smell of coffee and McConnell's Turkish Coffee Ice Cream is divine.

Had plenty of employees who were Starbuck's devotees, especially in the mornings on the way to work or before meetings. I never got hooked, always the odd one.
You had me laughing at that! And they pay $6-$10 for that high-calorie caffeinated hot milk shake!

I got incredibly puking sick on Dewar's White Label at 16 and since then Scotch Whisky turns me green. Even Irish single malts do it to me.
I liked the smoky taste of Lapsang Souchong, but not enough to give it up for my Swing's.

I do like Espresso, but not when it's from beans that smell and tastes like burnt tires. I tend to like it sweetened--not too much--a bit of lemon peel (the "zest"), a sprinkle of cinnamon, and, if it's available, a dusting of cocoa. For me, it's like a 0 calorie dessert+ jolt of caffeine. I also like Cuban coffee, if prepared properly, served in a thimble-slzed cup!
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

I used to have an espresso/cappuccino machine that finally failed to froth so I gave it the boot.
I few years ago I worked for a couple from Chicago. They fed me espresso from a simple K-cup machine. Being a lazy person like CDF I grew fond of them. So easy and quick.
They said they had gone through tens of expensive espresso machines only to stick with the cheap one cup K-cup machine. I have to say I was hooked and had a huge buzz working at his re-models.
Now I'm on the verge of buying one for the simple reason is that drip coffee is becoming a PITA and also slow. Like I need my fix quick.
As a dedicated coffee addict I have to confess to brewing some Medaglia D'Oro Instant Espresso the wife has in the cupboard for cooking when I need a quick fix. Like thirty minutes ago. sigh
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

Back in the day I snorted a line of espresso to see what would happen. Not recommended unless your thing is brown boogers. Drinking is my preferred method of application. It's a caffeine addiction, and some coffees taste pretty good.

CDFingers

tonguengroover wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:12 pm I used to have an espresso/cappuccino machine that finally failed to froth so I gave it the boot.
I few years ago I worked for a couple from Chicago. They fed me espresso from a simple K-cup machine. Being a lazy person like CDF I grew fond of them. So easy and quick.
They said they had gone through tens of expensive espresso machines only to stick with the cheap one cup K-cup machine. I have to say I was hooked and had a huge buzz working at his re-models.
Now I'm on the verge of buying one for the simple reason is that drip coffee is becoming a PITA and also slow. Like I need my fix quick.
As a dedicated coffee addict I have to confess to brewing some Medaglia D'Oro Instant Espresso the wife has in the cupboard for cooking when I need a quick fix. Like thirty minutes ago. sigh
Of all places, Target has a house brand of K-cups called "Good & Gather" and there's one, "Organic Ethiopian Yirgacheffe" that is the ONLY k-cup coffee I have ever found that I like. And the irony is, it's a good bit cheaper than other k-cup brands. But I generally love Ethiopian, Ugandan, Kenyan, and Zimbabwe coffees.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Back in the back of the bottom pots n pans cupboard I also found one of those aluminum Italian espresso makers--unscrews, has a gasket and so on. Dang. Forgot how to use it. I think I'll get a quarter pound of espresso grind and experiment.

CDFingers

CDFingers wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:41 am Back in the back of the bottom pots n pans cupboard I also found one of those aluminum Italian espresso makers--unscrews, has a gasket and so on. Dang. Forgot how to use it. I think I'll get a quarter pound of espresso grind and experiment.

CDFingers
This is one use https://www.etsy.com/listing/1080758481 ... fsQAvD_BwE

Hope link works as several pics. Replaced gasket some years ago. Also have a newer electric with steamer/foamer, but seldom use.

BTW - the Nicaraguan Maragogype raw beans I recently bought were well worth the effort. Prefer a light to medium roast as better taste than dark roasted. Using presto air corn popper to roast.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

CDFingers wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:41 am Back in the back of the bottom pots n pans cupboard I also found one of those aluminum Italian espresso makers--unscrews, has a gasket and so on. Dang. Forgot how to use it. I think I'll get a quarter pound of espresso grind and experiment.

CDFingers
Pretty easy to use. Took me a couple times to get it right. Not super happy about aluminum being in the works but it is what it is. Just add more water for the frother.
Mine actually makes two of the small cups, like 4 ounces.
I thought about cleaning it out with some lemon juice but afraid I'll just release more aluminum.
I'm just grinding my organic south american medium roast beans.

CDFingers
Moka Pot
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

Often the most glorious cup of coffee is the one you have after shoveling out the driveway and sidewalk in the morning. This is an age-old Midwestern tradition in which one self-administers a cardiac stress test in freezing temperatures so one can get to work. At the end, one gets to lean on one's shovel and talk to the neighbor they haven't seen since the beginning of Winter. Usually about the Packers.

We have an Espresso machine somewhere that made decent espresso but had a fool-proof frother.
But many, many years ago I found a red Polti espresso machine at a yard sale...it was very Italian-looking--in the Ferrari / Lamborghini modern Italian style, and it made ECQUISITE espresso! The frother was OK, though tricky. It died many years ago and I STILL haven't had the heart to throw it out, hoping one day to fix it.

It looks like a stack of red disks and cylinders and I cannot even find an IMAGE of one online! AFAIK, the company is now based in Brazil and also makes steam cleaners for floors.

We've got another that has a steamer on top, so it's pretty easy to make steamed milk and so on. Still stays in the cupboard for some reason and only comes out when guests talk cappuccino or lattes. I haven't tried the steamer on the floor yet. Standby.

CDFingers

CDFingers wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:39 pm Here is more than I wanted to know about coffee's caffeine.

https://www.scienceofcooking.com/caffeine.htm

CDFingers
Interesting. Speaking of alkaloids, I've been dying for a cup of mate de coca. Been drinking some tea in the afternoon and keep reminiscing about being in Peru.
Every morning every hotel has a Coca tea out and ready to go. Coca tea really helps for the altitude. And it doesn't seem as strong as caffeinated teas.
I was going to try and bring back some Coca seeds but didn't want to get busted. People get busted just for coca tea bags which is nonsense. It's no more addictive than caffeine. It's a very tasty green tea.
The coffee down there is divine as well.