Re: Biden elaborates on what firearms he wants to ban

tonguengroover wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:18 pm I try not to read these reports on what Biden is going to do with gun bans. It's never gonna happen and everyone's getting worked up for nothing.
I used to think that. Maybe I still sort of do. But there's another angle to things. Keep an eye not on what you think is the "big problem," but on the reaction to the "big problem."

Let me explain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up. My eye is on the "big problem" of impending authoritarianism. Say we beat it back. Hurray! What happens next? Does the group in power say we just narrowly averted a coup (by the way, we did on January 6) that could have succeeded if they had been carrying rifles. So, gun bans are implemented rapidly. Keep your bolt actions, pump shotguns, and single action revolvers--that's all the 2nd Amendment really permits anyway. Hunting, sports shooting, and home self defense in a pinch. /s

Far fetched? Remember the Patriot Act? We got punched in the nose by some terrorists, and our reaction was to kick ourselves in the groin, civil-rights-wise. Bin Laden's victory wasn't the twin towers, it was things like the Patriot Act, and the decades of war we waged.

cooper wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:40 pm
tonguengroover wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:18 pm I try not to read these reports on what Biden is going to do with gun bans. It's never gonna happen and everyone's getting worked up for nothing.
I used to think that. Maybe I still sort of do. But there's another angle to things. Keep an eye not on what you think is the "big problem," but on the reaction to the "big problem."

Let me explain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up. My eye is on the "big problem" of impending authoritarianism. Say we beat it back. Hurray! What happens next? Does the group in power say we just narrowly averted a coup (by the way, we did on January 6) that could have succeeded if they had been carrying rifles. So, gun bans are implemented rapidly. Keep your bolt actions, pump shotguns, and single action revolvers--that's all the 2nd Amendment really permits anyway. Hunting, sports shooting, and home self defense in a pinch. /s

Far fetched? Remember the Patriot Act? We got punched in the nose by some terrorists, and our reaction was to kick ourselves in the groin, civil-rights-wise. Bin Laden's victory wasn't the twin towers, it was things like the Patriot Act, and the decades of war we waged.
Per their own words, al Qaeda's goal was to get the US to invade Muslim territory and get bogged down in years of war. They had hoped the regimes would fall and Muslims would join the cause by the millions. The USA PATRIOT Act was our government seizing an opportunity to secure a victory over us.

Authoritarianism is very much in fashion in the US right now. There will be no beating it back. At best we will dodge it, and that would be temporary.

DispositionMatrix wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:28 pm

Per their own words, al Qaeda's goal was to get the US to invade Muslim territory and get bogged down in years of war. They had hoped the regimes would fall and Muslims would join the cause by the millions. The USA PATRIOT Act was our government seizing an opportunity to secure a victory over us.

Authoritarianism is very much in fashion in the US right now. There will be no beating it back. At best we will dodge it, and that would be temporary.
I trust neither of our two major political parties unconditionally. But the GOP is right up there with Nazism. Never to be trusted with anything.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

I have two very different styles of distrust for our parties.

As per above - the modern GOP sold its soul to the goddamn Nazis. They cannot be trusted with power, nor representation, and they're working hard on voice.

As for the Dems? They cannot be trusted to see the threat to the republic, much less to understand it. To take effective steps to preserve it? Nope. That may well fall on us when the Nazis rise up in arms against us. Not enough of us are armed to deter them. They believe they can win.

wings wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:16 pm I have two very different styles of distrust for our parties.

As per above - the modern GOP sold its soul to the goddamn Nazis. They cannot be trusted with power, nor representation, and they're working hard on voice.

As for the Dems? They cannot be trusted to see the threat to the republic, much less to understand it. To take effective steps to preserve it? Nope. That may well fall on us when the Nazis rise up in arms against us. Not enough of us are armed to deter them. They believe they can win.
It's not the parties, per se, that are the problem, it's the wealthy that want to disarm us. The corporate Dems are pretty blatant about it while the GOP does nothing to protect the Second Amendment. They're terrified of an armed populace.
"Better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" - Emiliano Zapata

NegativeApproach wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:22 pm I guess he's already preparing to be a one term president, so it just speaks to the Anti base, but it's virtue signaling in a really idiotic way. It's going to cost votes for the Democratic party.
I think 'guns' are a small part of the issues facing America right now.
The pandemic, jobs, the economy, the rising threat of white supremacists, ACAB...all those are much more important, IMHO.

F4FEver wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:01 am
NegativeApproach wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:22 pm I guess he's already preparing to be a one term president, so it just speaks to the Anti base, but it's virtue signaling in a really idiotic way. It's going to cost votes for the Democratic party.
I think 'guns' are a small part of the issues facing America right now.
The pandemic, jobs, the economy, the rising threat of white supremacists, ACAB...all those are much more important, IMHO.
Almost 100 percent agree. Guns are not the issue. The underlying root causes that lead to dysfuntion and eventually violence is.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

tonguengroover wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:40 am
DispositionMatrix wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:28 pm

I trust neither of our two major political parties unconditionally. But the GOP is right up there with Nazism. Never to be trusted with anything.
Republicans are now the party of nazism, White supremacy, misogyny, and the KKK. And they are planning, openly, a coup to make the USA a one-party dictatorship, which has openly been the plan since Karl Rove and Tom DeLay attempted to create a "perpetual majority" by cutting off access 100% to ANY lobbyist who gave as much as a dime to Democrats.

Interesting little article in the WaPo today about a how a White Republican judge told a cancer-ridden 72 year old Bengla Deshi immigrant that if she could she'd throw him in jail for...not mowing his lawn! His son said "Do you know he has cancer?" Her answer: "Have you seen the picture?" (of the lawn)
This judge is the perfect epitome of conservative women: Blond and mean.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Well yes we did give up some privacy. But really, didn't the .gov do that already anyways? The Patriot Act just gave them legality so they couldn't get sued.
FB, Chinese all spy on us as well. After Timothy McVeigh and 1/6 it may turn out to be a better thing as far as domestic terrorism goes.
The biggest threat to us is us.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”