Re: New SARS type virus spreading in China

My niece that tested positive finished her quarantine period but was a weak wreck physically but was told she needed to return to work. Back at work and the biggest reason she had to return? They are shorthanded because so many others are off due to covid protocols.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

I’m proof that it doesn’t care about the booster. My daughter, who got her fauchi ouchy as soon as it was available for her age group, brought it home last Tuesday with a nasty sore throat. She’s recovered and doing fine now. My wife and I are both boosted and got it from her. We’ve had relatively mild flu-like symptoms so far.

Me: M+M+P, my wife J&J+M

I get the impression the administration has decide to just let it burn.

In spite of our **BFF stating in AZ this past weekend - if you're white you can't get a covid vaxx - I, along with millions, have had no recent problems getting our shots. It's understandable that his followers will believe this shit lie since they haven't tried to get a vaxx. This lie along with all the others are obvious bullshit to all none knuckle draggers, but not the acolytes of turd. What more proof do people need that this POS is a bigoted racist pile of pus and a waste of oxygen.

The early days of no vaxx availability are long gone - but the turd swine are still gullible enough to eat this BS.

**BFF = Bloviating Fat Fuck
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

featureless wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:14 am
BKinzey wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:48 pm The Booster doesn't stop Omicron but it does help keep you out of the hospital.
Agreed. So it isn't enough to stop exponential transmission. So, short of a total lock down, there's not much to be done to stop it. Of course masking and distancing help, but put a bunch of people together for work/school and it's going to spread. A lot.
Collectively we failed to stop this virus. Viruses mutate, it’s in their nature.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

sikacz wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:17 am
BKinzey wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:48 pm The Booster doesn't stop Omicron but it does help keep you out of the hospital.
Agreed. So it isn't enough to stop exponential transmission. So, short of a total lock down, there's not much to be done to stop it. Of course masking and distancing help, but put a bunch of people together for work/school and it's going to spread. A lot.
Collectively we failed to stop this virus. Viruses mutate, it’s in their nature.
Yup. Fun times.

We broke protocol and went to the ocean for an extended weekend for my wife's birthday (made the reservations months ago). Rented a house and either ate in or ate take out. A fair number of tourists out and about but all were good about masking indoors. I find being around people even more exhausting than I used to. But, the weather was nice, the ocean was beautiful and I was miles away from any house project, so did a whole lot of nothing for the first time in about a year.

featureless wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:34 am
sikacz wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:17 am
Yup. Fun times.

We broke protocol and went to the ocean for an extended weekend for my wife's birthday (made the reservations months ago). Rented a house and either ate in or ate take out. A fair number of tourists out and about but all were good about masking indoors. I find being around people even more exhausting than I used to. But, the weather was nice, the ocean was beautiful and I was miles away from any house project, so did a whole lot of nothing for the first time in about a year.
Excellent! Life needs to be lived, even in times like these. Congrats to your wife! Just had a b-day myself. LoL. Baked Finnish cookies!

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Nearly a month after Sheba Medical Center launched a landmark study to test the efficacy of a fourth COVID shot, the hospital said Monday that this fourth booster was only partially effective in protecting against the Omicron strain.

“The vaccine, which was very effective against the previous strains, is less effective against the Omicron strain,” Prof. Gili Regev-Yochay, a lead researcher in the experiment said.

“We see an increase in antibodies, higher than after the third dose,” Regev-Yochay said. “However, we see many infected with Omicron who received the fourth dose. Granted, a bit less than in the control group, but still a lot of infections,” she added.

“The bottom line is that the vaccine is excellent against the Alpha and Delta [variants], for Omicron it’s not good enough,” she said.

Regev-Yochay added that it is still probably a good idea to give a fourth shot to those at higher risk, but intimated that perhaps the current campaign, which also offers the jab to the over-60s, should be amended to only include even older groups. She did not elaborate.

The hospital did not release more specific data. Regev-Yochay said the results of the research are only preliminary, but indicated that she was providing the initial information since there was high public interest in the matter.

Hours after releasing the results, Sheba published a statement calling for “continuing the vaccination drive for risk groups at this time, even though the vaccine doesn’t provide optimal protection against getting infected with the variant.”

Hebrew media reported that the hospital was pressured into issuing that statement after the Health Ministry didn’t like the publication of the study’s initial results.

Prime Minister Naftali Bennett has pushed ahead with expanding Israel’s fourth dose program, despite the lack of data.

As of Sunday night, over 500,000 Israelis have been inoculated with a fourth dose. The Health Ministry began offering fourth vaccine shots to Israelis 60 and older, the immunocompromised, and medical workers last month.

Sheba’s trial program, which began in December with 150 medical staff being given the shot, is many times smaller than normal drug trials, which usually involve thousands of volunteers who results are tracked for months. But it is also the only known study of the effects of a fourth dose.

Israel is pinning hopes that the extra booster may help keep the Omicron variant from overwhelming hospitals and shutting down normal life.

The study, the first of its kind in the world, is being carried out in conjunction with the Health Ministry, and has been approved by the government’s senior panel on human medical trials.

The World Health Organization has urged countries to delay booster programs until the whole world has access to initial vaccine doses.

Around two-thirds of Israel’s population of nearly 9.5 million have received at least one dose of the vaccine, and nearly 4.4 million Israelis have received three doses, according to the latest Health Ministry figures.
https://www.timesofisrael.com/israeli-t ... t-omicron/

Pfizer has said they will have a new vaccine out in March but it depends on testing.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

leitmotiv wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:25 pm I’m proof that it doesn’t care about the booster. My daughter, who got her fauchi ouchy as soon as it was available for her age group, brought it home last Tuesday with a nasty sore throat. She’s recovered and doing fine now. My wife and I are both boosted and got it from her. We’ve had relatively mild flu-like symptoms so far.

Me: M+M+P, my wife J&J+M

I get the impression the administration has decide to just let it burn.
Hope you and your family recover quickly! The booster increases our chances of staying out of the hospital, ICU or the morgue. Get well soon !
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Thanks, it’s definitely mild for all of us, which is due to the vaccines. It pisses me off because we’ve worked so hard to avoid it.

Omicron is definitely not stopped by the vaccines like the earlier variants, but letting it spread is more concerning to me as we could likely end up with a new variant that is better at evading antibodies.

This link for four free tests through the usps was just propagated through my network and ordering seems to be successful so far:

https://special.usps.com/testkits

Edit: I completely missed that the same link was posted above.

People who had previously been infected with COVID-19 were better protected against the Delta variant than those who were vaccinated alone, suggesting that natural immunity was a more potent shield than vaccines against that variant, California and New York health officials reported on Wednesday.

Protection against Delta was highest, however, among people who were both vaccinated and had survived a previous COVID infection, and lowest among those who had never been infected or vaccinated, the study found.

Nevertheless, vaccination remains the safest strategy against COVID-19, according to the report published in U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report.

The results do not apply to the Omicron variant of the virus, which now accounts for 99.5% of COVID-19 cases in the United States.

"The evidence in this report does not change our vaccination recommendations," Dr. Ben Silk of the CDC and one of the study's authors told a media briefing.

"We know that vaccination is still the safest way to protect yourself against COVID-19," he said.

For the study, health officials in California and New York gathered data from May through November, which included the period when the Delta variant was dominant.

It showed that people who survived a previous infection had lower rates of COVID-19 than people who were vaccinated alone.

That represented a change from the period when the Alpha variant was dominant, Silk told the briefing.

"Before the Delta variant, COVID-19 vaccination resulted in better protection against a subsequent infection than surviving a previous infection," he said.

In the summer and fall of 2021, however, when Delta became the predominant circulating iteration of the virus in the United States, "surviving a previous infection now provided greater protection against the subsequent infection than vaccination," he said.

But acquiring immunity through natural infection carries significant risks. According to the study, by November 30, 2021, roughly 130,781 residents of California and New York had died from COVID-19.

The analysis did not include information on the severity of initial infection, nor does it account for the full range of illness caused by prior infection.

One important limitation to the study was that it ended before administration of vaccine booster doses was widespread.

Dr. Erica Pan, state epidemiologist for the California Department of Public Health, said in an email that the study "clearly shows" that vaccines provide the safest protection against COVID-19 and they offer added protection for those with prior infections.

"Outside of this study, recent data on the highly contagious Omicron variant shows that getting a booster provides significant additional protection against infection, hospitalization and death,” Pan said.

Silk said the CDC is studying the impact of vaccination, boosters and prior infection during the Omicron surge and expects to issue further reports when that data becomes available.
https://www.reuters.com/business/health ... 022-01-19/

This study only applies to delta. Omicron is changing the rules again, and reinfections are common. If we're all going to get it, better to be vaccinated first than the other way round. Speaking as a survivor.

One thing I keep wondering, as I watch the antivax/antimask cheerleaders falling over dead. Maybe the masks don't prevent infection, just like vaccination, but if they're reducing the exposure that helps explain the discrepancy in mortality. Like in the first wave, when nobody masked and PPE was in short supply even in hospitals, medical professionals were getting slammed with stupid high doses at work, and dying on the job. If you go to an anti-rally and suck in a big dose, there you go.