'Craven' Mitch McConnell condemned for 'shockingly racist' remarks about Black voters

Senate minority leader Mitch McConnell was widely criticized for suggesting Black Americans were not fully American.

The Kentucky Republican spoke to reporters Wednesday after two Democratic senators refused to go along with a plan to change Senate rule to overcome a GOP filibuster of voting rights legislation, and he was asked what he would say to voters of color who are concerned about their access to the polls before November's midterm elections.

"Well, the concern is misplaced," McConnell said. "Because if you look at the statistics, African American voters are voting in just as high a percentage as Americans."

McConnell's remarks were quickly condemned online.
https://www.rawstory.com/mitch-mcconnell-voting-rights/

From Mary Trump's Tweet that says it perfectly.
Mitch McConnell: "African-American voters are voting in just as high a percentage as American voters."
Toni Morrison: "In this country, American means white. Everybody else has to hyphenate."
https://twitter.com/MaryLTrump/status/1 ... -rights%2F

Many would call him a Racist Asshole. I don't know if he is that Racist but he is and asshole.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Re: 'Craven' Mitch McConnell condemned for 'shockingly racist' remarks about Black voters

TrueTexan wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:57 pm

Many would call him a Racist Asshole. I don't know if he is that Racist but he is and asshole.
There are pictures of him grinning like the egg-sucking asshole he is in front of a confederate battle flag, and having watched his career since about 1980 (he was the County Judge/Executive where I live at the time, and even then reminded folks of the J.R. Ewing character from that TeeVee show "Dallas"), he is absolutely racist.
Eventually I'll figure out this signature thing and decide what I want to put here.

Re: 'Craven' Mitch McConnell condemned for 'shockingly racist' remarks about Black voters

If Mitch McConnell is actually racist and not just an opportunistic asshole deliberately feeding red meat to the base, I'd be shocked.

1) His wife is not White nor American-born.
2) As a young Republican he was an active and enthusiastic participant in The March On Washington.
3) Back then Democrats were the racist assholes throughout the South and Republicans were the liberals and Integrationists. MLK was, as I recall, as a Southern Integrationist, also a Republican.
4) McConnell has often expressed PRIDE in have participated in the March.

It just doesn't add up. But he is now a totally opportunistic asshole, addicted to, and drunk on power, who ENJOYS getting away with his hypocritical bullshit, without ever realizing what it's doing to the nation.
"The upper class: keeps all of the money, pays none of the taxes. The middle class: pays all of the taxes, does all of the work. The poor are there...just to scare the shit out of the middle class."--George Carlin

YT, I know more than one entitled racist here in CA who married Asian women from Asia. It’s an interesting dynamic in their household. And never underestimate the allure of a racist setting aside his value system for money and power (ol Mitch marrying into it in this case).

So that argument, at least, is out the window.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Bisbee wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:13 pm YT, I know more than one entitled racist here in CA who married Asian women from Asia. It’s an interesting dynamic in their household. And never underestimate the allure of a racist setting aside his value system for money and power (ol Mitch marrying into it in this case).

So that argument, at least, is out the window.
Oh, I'm not unaware of that effect. Chao was a very pretty woman, but what she saw in Mitch, as she was already rich, is a mystery.

But don't discount what I think is the more important point--His pride to this day in having been an active participant in the March on Washington in August of 1963.

Of course people change. And get more conservative as they get older (and more fearful of losing what they have).
"The upper class: keeps all of the money, pays none of the taxes. The middle class: pays all of the taxes, does all of the work. The poor are there...just to scare the shit out of the middle class."--George Carlin

Whether his policies are based in craven self-service or racism, he's clearly comfortable with the adverse effect his policies have on my Black neighbors, which is as good an argument as any to support that he's a racist asshole.

Just as being comfortable voting for an orange-skinned grotesque misogynist would suggest that the voter has no objection to that misogyny.

And Mitch has voted in support of THAT turd's ideas enough to suggest things beyond his own craven self-service.
Eventually I'll figure out this signature thing and decide what I want to put here.