Wisconsin Republicans pass bill allowing some high school students to bring a gun to campus

Wisconsin Republicans just passed a spate of gun rights measures that include lowering the state's concealed carry age requirement from 21 to 18, effectively allowing high school students to carry firearms on school grounds.

The decision was approved by the state assembly last Thursday as part of an ongoing Second Amendment push by the lower chamber's GOP majority.

"If you're old enough to fight for your country, [if] you're old enough to sign contracts, if you're old enough to decide who the president of the United States is, we think you're old enough to be responsible with your rights and to be able to protect yourself," Republican Rep. Shae Sortwell of Gibson, the bill's chief sponsor, said last week.

Guns are typically banned on school property in Wisconsin, but according to The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, one of the measures would do away with this convention. The bills would also allow Wisconsinites with concealed carry licenses to bring firearms into churches as well as permit out-of-staters with a concealed carry license to bring guns into the Badger State, according to the Associated Press.

Wisconsin Democrats, for their part, have railed against the legislative package amid the national uptick in gun violence. The Milwaukee Homicide Review Commission recorded a total of 857 nonfatal shootings in 2021 – about 93% more than that of 2019.

"Guns do not belong anywhere in or near schools," said Democratic state Rep. Deb Andraca. "Collectively, what these bills would do, they would allow high school seniors to carry a loaded gun in the car to school grounds [and] at school events."

Democratic state Rep. Lisa Subeck likewise questioned whether guns "make people feel safer," saying, "In this state, you can get a concealed carry permit and never once get any hands-on firing a gun and that's terrifying."

Jeri Bonavia, executive director of Wisconsin Anti-Violence Effort (WAVE), a grassroots organization aimed at curtailing gun violence, has also opposed the bills, suggesting that they flout federal law around gun sales.

Because no one under 21 is federally legal to purchase a firearm, Bonavia told an NBC Chicago affiliate, "this age group that they're talking about would likely need to be purchasing their gun from the gray market, from private sellers," adding: "Which means that there would be no background check conducted on those purchases."

All of the measures were passed in the Assembly with a voice vote, sending the package to the Wisconsin Senate. If the state Senate approves, the package will need to be signed by Wisconsin Gov. Tony Evers, a Democrat who is likely to veto the measures. While the governor has not directly commented on the package, in the past he's pushed for gun control measures, such as universal background checks and red flag laws.
https://www.rawstory.com/wisconsin-gun-laws/

Not a good idea and the liabilities would be great for the family of the student and the school.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Re: Wisconsin Republicans pass bill allowing some high school students to bring a gun to campus

I was in AJROTC in high school a thousand years ago. We had .22LR rifles and pistols in the gun room, but only had access under strict supervision.

I got away with carrying an antique (as in 1860s) Eli Whitney revolver to school one time, but I doubt any kid could do that now.

I shudder to think what would happen in Wisconsin now...
Eventually I'll figure out this signature thing and decide what I want to put here.

Re: Wisconsin Republicans pass bill allowing some high school students to bring a gun to campus

All firearms other than shotguns and rifles, and all ammunition other than ammunition for shotguns or rifles may be sold only to individuals 21 years of age or older.
Is this just eyewash? Fed law says 21yo. Pretty speech tho...Still can't buy liquor at 18yo..
"If you're old enough to fight for your country, [if] you're old enough to sign contracts, if you're old enough to decide who the president of the United States is, we think you're old enough to be responsible with your rights and to be able to protect yourself," Republican Rep. Shae Sortwell of Gibson, the bill's chief sponsor, said last week.

F4FEver wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:25 am
All firearms other than shotguns and rifles, and all ammunition other than ammunition for shotguns or rifles may be sold only to individuals 21 years of age or older.
Is this just eyewash? Fed law says 21yo. Pretty speech tho...Still can't buy liquor at 18yo..
Can confirm that in California, that Federal law is followed and only rifle and shotgun ammo may be sold to 18-20 yr olds. Now, at my local Sportsman's Warehouse, the clerks will ask those ages what gun the .22LR is for. "Rifle" gets the ammo. Otherwise the customer go gets his dad or other eligible person. Remember in California we also have the point of sale background check for all ammo purchases, which costs one dollar per transaction. One box? One dollar. Seventy six boxes of varied calibers? One dollar. Golden State, man.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

When I was in HS, one boy brought a gun to school.
It was an ancient antique musket to be used as a prop in a production of "The Crucible" by Arthur Miller and hadn't been fired, possibly in a century or more.
I remember it had a flat plate that slid out for disassembly but he said it had never been since he had it it, and not to try in case it wouldn't go back together!

We did have a rifle club. My older brother had been in it and got several marksman awards.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Well when I was in high school pretty sure guns were not allowed. That was '69 to '73. But I could have a gun in my possession if I was 16 or older without a parent.
That was when the Vietnam was was in full swing. I was in the draft but war ended so that didn't matter.
However one could not buy alcohol until 21. So I understand the gripe about the .gov drafting you into the military to fight a war for your country and not being able to have a beer.
Beers are an essential part of teen life.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

BearPaws wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:04 pm I was in AJROTC in high school a thousand years ago. We had .22LR rifles and pistols in the gun room, but only had access under strict supervision.

I got away with carrying an antique (as in 1860s) Eli Whitney revolver to school one time, but I doubt any kid could do that now.

I shudder to think what would happen in Wisconsin now...
Same here I was on the rifle team and shot the Remington 40X 22 LR target rifles. Was also had the M1s in the armory for drill. Right after I graduated in 1970 the Army pulled all the M1s out and replaced them with M14s without the selector switch. But the guys learned you could rotate the select o to full auto using a Bobby pin. My senior year I brought my Marlin 22 carbine to school on a Friday because a bunch of us were going camping and hunting at the LBJ grasslands over the weekend. Took the gun out of the car carried to the ROTC office and left it there during the day picked it up that afternoon and went campion people saw me and others with the guns and nothing was ever said about guns on campus.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

When I was in middle school, I brought my shotgun to school for a full week, because my school (Sacramento CA) offered Hunters Safety at school as a one week class. No one died.

My son's previous school has a trap range at the school, and actually offers trap shooting as a state approved competitive sport. Trap shooting is available at hundreds of schools around the country, including California.

Back to the article...The headline is complete BS. An 18 year old, or 50 year old will not be able to carry a gun at schools. Scare tactics.
That said, I think this law is just doubling down on an already bad idea.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

We just admitted how old we all are. Yup, 60's and 70's were good times. Not so many crazies out there as today.
The kids these days have no concept of what happens after they shoot someone or a school. They have a video gamer mentality.

I really wish my youngest was here in AZ. Wisconsin seems nuttier than AZ is these days.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”