Re: Supreme Court has voted to overturn abortion rights, draft opinion shows

Here is an unrolled thread that explains how and why unscrupulous men in red states will data mine women's google search histories to discover which are looking for abortion information; then they will SELL that information to law enforcement while simultaneously collecting that $10K in Texas, for example:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1521 ... 54817.html

Do not let this happen.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Sen. Tom Cotton, R-Ark., wants the abortion-rights protesters demonstrating in front of the homes of Supreme Court justices to be swiftly arrested and prosecuted by the Justice Department.

Some of his Republican colleagues, however, say that would go too far and that it could violate First Amendment protections.

“I think if they’re being peaceful and are staying off their property and are not disrupting neighborhoods or causing or inciting fear, it’s probably a legitimate expression of free speech,” Sen. Cynthia Lummis, R-Wyo., a former member of the conservative House Freedom Caucus, said Wednesday.

“First Amendment rights are so, so special. … We should all be erring in favor of the First Amendment, in favor of freedom of speech, in favor of freedom of religion, in favor of the freedom of assembly,” she said. “Because if we start fearing our rights to speak and express our religious convictions, and if we fear assembly, the consequences of parsing those rights are extremely dangerous.”

Sen. Mike Braun, R-Ind., said he, too, believes peaceful protests — even outside the homes of justices — is protected speech.

“I’m a First Amendment guy, and I think that cuts both ways,” Braun said in an interview. “If they’re there and they’re doing it peacefully, you know, I’m for that ability on either side of the political spectrum.”

Protesters have been chanting and holding up signs in front of the homes of three conservatives: Chief Justice John Roberts and Justices Brett Kavanaugh and Samuel Alito, who wrote the leaked majority draft opinion that would overturn the constitutional right to abortion enshrined nearly a half-century ago in the landmark Roe v. Wade decision.

More demonstrations are planned for Wednesday night at conservative justices’ homes in the Washington area.

In a stern letter Tuesday to Attorney General Merrick Garland, Cotton slammed “left-wing mobs” that have protested outside the homes of conservative justices after the draft opinion leaked.

Cotton, who said in 2020 he supported the use of military force to suppress the protests against police violence sparked by the murder of George Floyd, called the recent protests illegal and a “blatant violation” of a 1950 law that says anyone who “pickets or parades” near a building or residence used by a judge with the intent of influencing the judge shall face fines or imprisonment. If the Justice Department doesn’t act, Cotton told Garland, perhaps the next Congress should begin impeachment proceedings.

Cotton, a potential 2024 presidential candidate, said Wednesday in an interview: “There is a federal law that prohibits the protesting of judges’ homes. Anybody protesting a judge’s home should be arrested on the spot by federal law enforcement. If [protesters] want to raise a First Amendment defense, they are free to do so.”

“I don’t advocate for arresting people protesting on public streets in Washington, D.C., the nation’s capital. I do believe they should be arrested for protesting in the homes of judges, jurors and prosecutors,” Cotton said. “Federal law prohibits an obvious attempt to influence or intimidate judges, jurors and prosecutors.”

Cotton spoke the same day Senate Republicans — along with Sen. Joe Manchin, D-W.Va. — blocked a Democratic-backed bill that would have codified abortion rights into federal law.

Asked whether he believed people could legally protest at the home of an elected official such as himself, Cotton replied: “I generally suggest protesting in public spaces, not in front of public homes of any person. But that’s not against federal law. That’s why Chuck Schumer is wrong.”

Schumer, D-N.Y., the Senate majority leader, told reporters Tuesday that he was OK with people peacefully protesting outside the justices’ homes, saying such demonstrations are “the American way” and noting that people protest in front of his home in New York “three, four times a week.”

The White House has stood behind the protesters — so long as they remain peaceful.

White House press secretary Jen Psaki said Tuesday that President Joe Biden believes “violent threats and intimidation of any kind have no place in political discourse.” But she said the White House understands the “outrage” in the country over the potential loss of abortion rights.

“And we believe, of course, in peaceful protests,” she said. “And we certainly continue to encourage that outside of judges’ homes, and that’s the president’s position.”

Cotton isn’t on an island. Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., said the protests were “far outside the bounds of normal First Amendment speech or protest,” adding, “It is an attempt to replace the rule of law with the rule of mobs.”

And Wednesday, the top Republican on the Judiciary Committee, Sen. Chuck Grassley of Iowa, demanded in a letter to Garland that the Justice Department protect justices and prosecute the targeted justices' homes.

At the state level, Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan tweeted Wednesday night that he and Virginia Gov. Glenn Youngkin had called on Garland to “provide adequate resources” to ensure the safety of Supreme Court justices and their families. In their letter, the GOP governors asked the Justice Department to enforce the 1950 law cited by Cotton.

Justice Department spokesman Anthony Coley said in a statement that Garland continues to be briefed on security matters related to the justices and has directed the U.S. Marshals Service to “help ensure the Justices’ safety” by assisting the Supreme Court police and the court marshal.

Some Republican senators said there can be a middle ground when it comes to the demonstrations.

Sen. Roger Marshall of Kansas, the son of a police officer, said he would like authorities to engage in dialogue with and issue warnings to the protesters before they make any arrests.

“I would prefer a softer approach. I would prefer some type of warning to the crowd, much like getting a speeding ticket,” Marshall said. “Sometimes there’s a place for a warning, so I’d like to see those crowds get warnings before we move all the way to prosecution.”

Other GOP senators said they were unsure whether protesting outside a judge’s home qualifies as breaking the law, but they also condemned the recent demonstrations.

“Whether or not it’s legal, it’s inappropriate, and they should not be harassing the justices,” said Sen. Susan Collins of Maine, who called police this week after protesters wrote messages in chalk outside her home urging her to vote for a Democratic abortion rights measure.

Sen. Mitt Romney, R-Utah, who’s also had protesters outside his home before, said the Supreme Court grounds are where people should make their voices heard.

“I think generally that a justice’s home should not be the place that we protest,” Romney said. “We've got a Supreme Court building, and that’s probably the best place to do that."
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congre ... -rcna28435
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Sen. Tom Cotton can be described as a rightwing GOPathetic, that went to a prestigious university collected degrees and honors but learned nothing. He belongs in the extreme rightwing of the GOPathetic party just short of the outright Fascist part of the party.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

I cannot predict how this is going to end. I do want all the voters to know what the far right is doing with this doxxing business, calling for violence. I need the voters to kick out supporting Repubs, who always do a one-up when it comes to going low.
As peaceful protesters camp outside the homes of Supreme Court justices after the leaked draft that would overturn Roe v. Wade, far-right activists are doxxing Democratic federal judges and calling for their assassination.

The posts, which appear on a far-right Telegram channel, feature the names and addresses of federal court judges (among other public figures perceived as enemies to the far-right) alongside a bio and a slick red graphic with a Kalashnikov rifle.
https://www.vice.com/en/article/m7vzmp/ ... ssinations

CDFingers

I have no problem with peaceful protests. SCOTUS justices are public figures that make decisions impacting all of us, they shouldn't be exempt at their place of work or residences. Judicial decisions have become as political as the actions of presidents and members of congress, so people should exercise their 1st Amendment rights.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:20 am I have no problem with peaceful protests. SCOTUS justices are public figures that make decisions impacting all of us, they shouldn't be exempt at their place of work or residences. Judicial decisions have become as political as the actions of presidents and members of congress, so people should exercise their 1st Amendment rights.
And if need be insist justices that do not measure up resign or get otherwise removed.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Do y’all really think that any removal would get through the Congress today. The way the Senate is divided by parties, there isn’t a snowball chance in hell, they would vote for removal of any Republican appointed justice on the high court. To paraphrase the TOT quote, “They could shoot a person on the steps of the Supreme Court building and get away with it.”
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Margaret Atwood Once Thought 'Handmaid's Tale' Was 'Too Far-Fetched.' No Longer.

Author Margaret Atwood revealed Friday that she initially put off writing her horrifying dystopian novel “The Handmaid’s Tale” because she thought it was “too far-fetched.” But after the leak of a draft Supreme Court opinion, she’ll never feel that way again.

“Silly me. Theocratic dictatorships do not lie only in the distant past: There are a number of them on the planet today. What is to prevent the United States from becoming one of them?” she asked in a column published Friday in The Atlantic.

In Atwood’s novel, women in America are used as reproductive slaves, strictly governed by a theocratic dictatorship directed by men. Atwood’s model was based on 17th century New England Puritan religious rules and jurisprudence — and imported to the U.S.

Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito also turned to the 1600s for justifying his leaked opinion that would gut the 1973 Roe v. Wade ruling that made abortion legal, reaching beyond the issues raised in a challenge to a Mississippi anti-abortion law. He cited several times the English jurist Matthew Hale, who opposed abortions — and executed “witches.”

The leaked opinion (which hasn’t been finalized) would “overthrow settled law of 50 years on the grounds that abortion is not mentioned ... . True enough,” Atwood conceded. “The Constitution has nothing to say about women’s reproductive health. But the original document does not mention women at all.”

Women “were deliberately excluded from the franchise,” she added, referring to the fledgling nation. Only men would no longer be taxed “without representation” or be ruled without “consent.” Women were barred from voting until 1920.

“Women were nonpersons in U.S. law for a lot longer than they have been persons,” Atwood chillingly noted. “If we start overthrowing settled law using Justice Samuel Alito’s justifications, why not repeal votes for women?”

As for banning abortion, the belief about when life begins is based on personal or religious beliefs (some religions, for example, believe life begins at birth or that a pregnant woman’s life is the existing life that must be protected).

Now, in Alito’s opinion, “That which is a sin within a certain set of religious beliefs is to be made a crime for all,” Atwood wrote. Yet the Constitution demands that “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof.” If a religion allows abortion, how can a different religion restrict it for those with different beliefs?

“It ought to be simple: If you believe in ‘ensoulment’ at conception, you should not get an abortion, because to do so is a sin within your religion. If you do not so believe, you should not — under the Constitution — be bound by the religious beliefs of others,” Atwood argued.

The Alito opinion “looks to be well on the way to establishing a state religion,” Atwood added, and is turning back to the 17th century, when Colonial women were burned at the stake based on religious evidence.

“If Justice Alito wants you to be governed by the laws of the 17th Century, you should take a close look at that century,” Atwood warned. “Is that when you want to live?”
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/margaret ... ed2961b282

Full column here
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/arch ... od/629833/

What our imagination can dream about, can happen for good or bad.

If impeachment and removal was an easy process, Democrats would use it against Republicans they didn't like and Republicans would use it against Democrats they didn't like. The six conservatives on SCOTUS aren't getting impeached and removed to make way for six liberals, the end of the filibuster made this inevitable. Can't change history, it happened and we have to live with it, unless the two parties agree to reinstate the filibuster for all federal judges including SCOTUS.

TrueTexan wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 4:44 pm Sen. Tom Cotton can be described as a rightwing GOPathetic, that went to a prestigious university collected degrees and honors but learned nothing. He belongs in the extreme rightwing of the GOPathetic party just short of the outright Fascist part of the party.
Yup, the hypocrisy is deafening. Storming the Capital trying to violently overturn a free and fair election is ok..but yelling at a SCOTUS' house is not.

highdesert wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 10:57 am If impeachment and removal was an easy process, Democrats would use it against Republicans they didn't like and Republicans would use it against Democrats they didn't like. The six conservatives on SCOTUS aren't getting impeached and removed to make way for six liberals, the end of the filibuster made this inevitable. Can't change history, it happened and we have to live with it, unless the two parties agree to reinstate the filibuster for all federal judges including SCOTUS.
That is true, but it certainly is not how it should be. The only way out of our political divisiveness and grid lock is to bring back the filibuster in its original form. Also wouldn’t hurt to have other parties in our political mix, forcing coalition. It would be much healthier and one could conceivably see that a removal would be possible if the major parties were not so evenly split and dominant.

Also side note, living with it will bring no change, so I will keep speaking up.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

sikacz wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 8:47 am Also side note, living with it will bring no change, so I will keep speaking up.
Agreed. Speak up. Petition. Support alternative candidates during primaries and local/regional elections.

But when presented with a binary choice pick the lesser evil.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

sikacz wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 8:47 am
highdesert wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 10:57 am If impeachment and removal was an easy process, Democrats would use it against Republicans they didn't like and Republicans would use it against Democrats they didn't like. The six conservatives on SCOTUS aren't getting impeached and removed to make way for six liberals, the end of the filibuster made this inevitable. Can't change history, it happened and we have to live with it, unless the two parties agree to reinstate the filibuster for all federal judges including SCOTUS.
That is true, but it certainly is not how it should be. The only way out of our political divisiveness and grid lock is to bring back the filibuster in its original form. Also wouldn’t hurt to have other parties in our political mix, forcing coalition. It would be much healthier and one could conceivably see that a removal would be possible if the major parties were not so evenly split and dominant.

Also side note, living with it will bring no change, so I will keep speaking up.

I'm in favor of multiple parties, but Americans just don't put the time and effort into developing them at the local level. It's rare to see any minor party members on city, town or county councils or state legislatures. The two parties don't want competitors so it's a two party system most places and a one party system in a lot of states. It's makes for dysfunctional and divisive government on all levels.

highdesert wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 11:27 am
sikacz wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 8:47 am

I'm in favor of multiple parties, but Americans just don't put the time and effort into developing them at the local level. It's rare to see any minor party members on city, town or county councils or state legislatures. The two parties don't want competitors so it's a two party system most places and a one party system in a lot of states. It's makes for dysfunctional and divisive government on all levels.
Agree on all points.

Here's a goodie from Oklahoma. Seem the Governor is afraid if Roe V Wade is overturned the 40 Native American Tribes in Oklahoma will open abortion clinics in the state contrary to Oklahoma law. But they would be legal under Federal law and Federal court rulings that Native Americans have legal sovereignty over their lands and can govern themselves. In April the SCOTUS ruled that much of eastern Oklahoma is Indian country under the terms of an 1833 treaty between the U.S. government and the Muscogee Creek Nation,a nd can rule themselves. The Oklahoma government has played out a Texas AG act by asking the federal courts to rehear the case over 40 times. This is mainly because just under 50% of Oklahoma is under Tribal lands and Oklahoma Governor and laws don't apply .

The Oklahoma Governor Stitt has been throwing a Stitt Fit over the idea that Native Americans are liberal and open up abortion clinics for their tribes.

Read more here https://www.rawstory.com/oklahoma-nativ ... vin-stitt/

TrueTexan wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 5:04 pm Here's a goodie from Oklahoma. Seem the Governor is afraid if Roe V Wade is overturned the 40 Native American Tribes in Oklahoma will open abortion clinics in the state contrary to Oklahoma law. But they would be legal under Federal law and Federal court rulings that Native Americans have legal sovereignty over their lands and can govern themselves. In April the SCOTUS ruled that much of eastern Oklahoma is Indian country under the terms of an 1833 treaty between the U.S. government and the Muscogee Creek Nation,a nd can rule themselves. The Oklahoma government has played out a Texas AG act by asking the federal courts to rehear the case over 40 times. This is mainly because just under 50% of Oklahoma is under Tribal lands and Oklahoma Governor and laws don't apply .

The Oklahoma Governor Stitt has been throwing a Stitt Fit over the idea that Native Americans are liberal and open up abortion clinics for their tribes.

Now that's cool.
Cept not sure how good that will work since most tribes here are Catholic.
But money talks.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

Holy cow!

“Come to ‘Four Feathers Casino’ for your Family Planning consultation and get $25 Free in betting chips!

“Friday is Prime Rib night!”
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

tonguengroover wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 5:14 pm
TrueTexan wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 5:04 pm Here's a goodie from Oklahoma. Seem the Governor is afraid if Roe V Wade is overturned the 40 Native American Tribes in Oklahoma will open abortion clinics in the state contrary to Oklahoma law. But they would be legal under Federal law and Federal court rulings that Native Americans have legal sovereignty over their lands and can govern themselves. In April the SCOTUS ruled that much of eastern Oklahoma is Indian country under the terms of an 1833 treaty between the U.S. government and the Muscogee Creek Nation,a nd can rule themselves. The Oklahoma government has played out a Texas AG act by asking the federal courts to rehear the case over 40 times. This is mainly because just under 50% of Oklahoma is under Tribal lands and Oklahoma Governor and laws don't apply .

Now that's cool.
But money talks.
Mexico is a Roman Catholic society but also recently decriminalized abortion. Maybe it should be "Go South young woman!"
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

sig230 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 8:23 pm Mexico is a Roman Catholic society but also recently decriminalized abortion. Maybe it should be "Go South young woman!"
Except they will hold you in camps at the border, unless you have the proper papers - Money.

tonguengroover wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 5:14 pm

Now that's cool.
But money talks.
Delightful. I bet my mom is spinning in her grave, as she was a card-carrying Okie born there in 1927. Only thing worse than a black person for them was a native. I smile a crooked smile.

CDFingers

Nebraska governor says rape and incest victims should be barred from seeking abortions

On CNN yesterday, Nebraska Gov. Pete Ricketts tossed aside the evasions his Republican Party used to rely on to assure American women that Republicans would not, in fact, force them to give birth to the babies of their rapists. No abortion exceptions for incest or rape, said Ricketts. None.
Full story at:
https://www.alternet.org/2022/05/abortion-2657324709/

There are those Anti-Abortion Rightwing Evangelical Christians that would say that it is God’s will even in those cases and they will quote the Bible examples .