Articles on the forum

Hey folks,
Really important that we DO NOT have users copy/pasting full articles from news sources here. We've had news organizations hit us with a remove or be sued email, and let's just not put the club in that position. That is all.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Re: Articles on the forum

I'm surprised it took this long. This is standard practice with all sites I've been a long time user - snippets with link to full article. They all got popped to cease and desist for full articles which is why I've never posted a complete article here. Keep up the good work - I'd hate to see any problems here.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

I don’t recall posting full ones. I’ve favored a small quote, a link and my own thoughts. Just would like to have it confirmed that it’s the approach that is acceptable.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

The standard practice is to post four paragraphs to give the gist of the article, then a link. That's fair use. Posting the whole article takes away from the revenue stream of the writers, ultimately. It's not Big Brother. It's fair use. Think of it that way.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

CDFingers wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 8:16 am The standard practice is to post four paragraphs to give the gist of the article, then a link. That's fair use. Posting the whole article takes away from the revenue stream of the writers, ultimately. It's not Big Brother. It's fair use. Think of it that way.

CDFingers
CD what was your profession before you retired?
Ylatkit wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 1:35 pm There is no standard practice.

Fair Use is a legal concept on which attorneys spend entire careers.
CD what was your profession before you retired?
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

I was a Community College English teacher for thirty years. When you teach academic writing, you teach that you can quote as much as you want as long as you cite it. You're also not making money from your writing in general. When we post on the internet, even though we may post a link, posting an entire article deprives the writer and the host site of ad revenue and of clicks. I say it's fair to post four, and this is echoed across the internet, you show the gist, but to get the whole enchilada you've got to give up that click and give the ads a chance at your eyes. It's not about lawyers. That's what I mean by fair. Some folks try to make a living writing on the internet. I aim to give them a fair shake.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

CDFingers wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 2:01 pm I was a Community College English teacher for thirty years. When you teach academic writing, you teach that you can quote as much as you want as long as you cite it. You're also not making money from your writing in general. When we post on the internet, even though we may post a link, posting an entire article deprives the writer and the host site of ad revenue and of clicks. I say it's fair to post four, and this is echoed across the internet, you show the gist, but to get the whole enchilada you've got to give up that click and give the ads a chance at your eyes. It's not about lawyers. That's what I mean by fair. Some folks try to make a living writing on the internet. I aim to give them a fair shake.

CDFingers
This ^^^^^^
I have website in which almost the entire content (about 120 pages) is mine. It's mostly original content. However, if I want to cite someone else's work I post one or two lines and their name, and provide a link to their article. That is standard practice across the internet. I expect people who quote me to do the same and have asked people who have posted entire sections of my web site to take them down. The section on electrical systems for boats is quite extensive and I have also published it as an e-book from which I get a small amount of revenue. If people post the contents on forums or blogs then I lose the revenue that pays my internet provider for the space. I am not making a profit on this. Hopefully just enough to pay for my domain names and the space. Otherwise the expense comes out of my pocket. Others are actually trying to make a living on their writing. If you copy their work it deprives them of their livelihood. I also have a statement at the bottom of every page about Fair Use.
Peter D. EIkenberry
http://newboatbuilders.com
"Don't tell me that I can't, tell me how I can!"

CDFingers wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 8:16 am The standard practice is to post four paragraphs to give the gist of the article, then a link. That's fair use. Posting the whole article takes away from the revenue stream of the writers, ultimately. It's not Big Brother. It's fair use. Think of it that way.

CDFingers
Sorry for ignoring this thread since posting, life and whatnot. Even four full paragraphs may be too much on the interwebz- A snippet and a link please. This is the second cease and desist, and it's from the NY Times. I'd rather err on the side of not being sued out of existence. If there is relevant case law that supports four full paragraphs, please send it to me, otherwise, as others have pointed out upstream, a snippet (paragraph) and a link is what I'd like to see.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

shinzen wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 11:25 am "Leave the quote as short as possible and use only what you need to make your point. If you must think in terms of a number, try to use a small percentage of the original work (less than 1%) rather than rely on some arbitrary word limit.”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/henrydevri ... 01a54e5134
Great link to Forbes. Really good information.

OH, and if you want to quote someone else's work, ask permission. The old joke about "its easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission" does not apply. On my web site I use some copyrighted material from Standards associations. But I have written permission from them to use it. The only exception to this is government info, such as laws and regulations. That is all in the public domain. But you should still cite the source.
Peter D. EIkenberry
http://newboatbuilders.com
"Don't tell me that I can't, tell me how I can!"

DispositionMatrix wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 11:34 am Given we're now at 1 paragraph or calculating a word percentage after 3 paragraphs used to be what is considered OK, with the latter being the standard I have followed for the past 9 years, it might make more sense to go to 0 paragraphs. The reader can click the link and figure it out for himself or herself.
To be fair, we have gotten exactly zero cease and desist notices from anything you've posted. Three may well be fine, just a little gun shy after this last notice.
- Maya Angelou

shinzen wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 11:48 am And if someone can find case law or some kind of info supporting three paragraphs, I'm totally fine with that. Otherwise let's stick with a paragraph and a link.
I like that. I've been getting cramps in my finger from scrolling down pages of text.
Thank you!
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”