Re: Democratic Pennsylvania governor calls for closing gun show "loophole," etc.

We've all seen the cute signs in gun show parking lots which prohibit selling from car trunks, right? It's a thing, non-papered gun sales. No matter what laws are made, these things will continue to be things. The laws just let them put people in private prisons for longer, eh. This is your .gov on neoliberalism.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Re: Democratic Pennsylvania governor calls for closing gun show "loophole," etc.

I'm too tired this morning for a long response but here's another big factor in our approach to gun control. We focus on how to prevent the spectacular mass shootings. In my mind, I honestly don't think it possible. And they represent a very small fraction of gun homicides. If we want to meaningfully reduce gun homicides, we need to look at improving life opportunities for poor black men who are killing each other daily with stolen firearms for a slice of turf. Legalizing drugs and improving socieoconomic conditions would do more to reduce gun homicides than any gun control law we could ever pass. But that doesn't generate votes or donations because most people who don't live there don't see it and don't care. We just see the media frenzy of the exceedingly rare (by comparison) mass shootings. And we get scared because we suck at risk assessment.

featureless wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 9:57 am I'm too tired this morning for a long response but here's another big factor in our approach to gun control. We focus on how to prevent the spectacular mass shootings. In my mind, I honestly don't think it possible. And they represent a very small fraction of gun homicides. If we want to meaningfully reduce gun homicides, we need to look at improving life opportunities for poor black men who are killing each other daily with stolen firearms for a slice of turf. Legalizing drugs and improving socieoconomic conditions would do more to reduce gun homicides than any gun control law we could ever pass. But that doesn't generate votes or donations because most people who don't live there don't see it and don't care. We just see the media frenzy of the exceedingly rare (by comparison) mass shootings. And we get scared because we suck at risk assessment.
I've long advocated going even further. The US should nationalize drug production and distribution and give the drugs away free at neighborhood health clinics where folk can get free medical care as well as counseling when they drop in for the drugs.

Take all the profit out of selling drugs.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

Yup, the highest number of homicides in the US is young black men in urban areas and one party dominates those big cities.
More than two-thirds of the country's 40 most populous cities saw more homicides last year than in 2020, according to a CNN analysis of police department data.

Ten of those cities recorded more homicides in 2021 than any other year on record. Those are Philadelphia; Austin, Texas; Columbus, Ohio; Indianapolis; Portland, Oregon; Memphis, Tennessee; Louisville, Kentucky; Milwaukee; Albuquerque, New Mexico; and Tucson, Arizona. Minneapolis tied its previous record number of homicides, with 97 in the years 1997 and 2021.

Many cities have seen homicides reach near-record highs in the past year. Chicago police investigated 797 last year, the most since 1996. But more than 800 homicides happened within the city when including expressway shootings, which are investigated by a different agency.
https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/03/us/homic ... index.html

Chicago PD now has more sworn officers than LAPD even though LA is larger. We also had over 100,000 drug overdoses last year, the highest ever. We need multiple parties in this country, more people with more ideas because the two parties have stagnated and fossilized.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

featureless wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 9:57 am I'm too tired this morning for a long response but here's another big factor in our approach to gun control. We focus on how to prevent the spectacular mass shootings. In my mind, I honestly don't think it possible. And they represent a very small fraction of gun homicides. If we want to meaningfully reduce gun homicides, we need to look at improving life opportunities for poor black men who are killing each other daily with stolen firearms for a slice of turf. Legalizing drugs and improving socieoconomic conditions would do more to reduce gun homicides than any gun control law we could ever pass. But that doesn't generate votes or donations because most people who don't live there don't see it and don't care. We just see the media frenzy of the exceedingly rare (by comparison) mass shootings. And we get scared because we suck at risk assessment.
I like the other responses as well, so here's mine. If you go into "those" areas and motivate people to vote on a build inner city infrastructure platform, then you might get somewhere. Look what recently happened in the Georgia primary with the record turn out and so on. People vote. Run on good inner city infrastructure and get out the vote and that will change things.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

CDFingers wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 9:05 pm
I like the other responses as well, so here's mine. If you go into "those" areas and motivate people to vote on a build inner city infrastructure platform, then you might get somewhere. Look what recently happened in the Georgia primary with the record turn out and so on. People vote. Run on good inner city infrastructure and get out the vote and that will change things.

CDFingers
Yes. But the last thing most in the inner city want is another fucking white guy telling them what they should do. I think our roll is to throw all support behind people like Stacy Abrams who can make a difference in those areas. She represents those interests without the baggage associated with you or I doing it. We play a vital supporting role but the changes must be led from within the communities.

featureless wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 10:22 pm
CDFingers wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 9:05 pm

CDFingers
Yes. But the last thing most in the inner city want is another fucking white guy telling them what they should do. I think our roll is to throw all support behind people like Stacy Abrams who can make a difference in those areas. She represents those interests without the baggage associated with you or I doing it. We play a vital supporting role but the changes must be led from within the communities.
It would be great to stick a great big finger into TOT's eye and see Abrams win the GA governorship. Of course trump the traitor would yell 'election fraud', but so what.
trump needs to find his way to a hospital basement with a toe tag.

sikacz wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:29 am
tonguengroover wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:21 pm
sikacz wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:52 pm That’s a bunch of BS. There’s not one FFL that I know that sells guns without a background check at gun shows. This is simply a dog whistle to go after private sales regardless of where they take place.
Pretty sure thats what they are talking about ie gun show loophole. Private sellers at guns shows, not FFL's. We have both at guns shows here.
That isn’t a loophole. Private sales were intentionally left out, and I can’t see overturning that idea just to catch a few private sellers in or out of a gun show. If my niece wants to buy one of my guns I should be able to sell it to her without an FFL.
Pretty sure he means no guns sold at shows without a back ground check whether or not your an FFL or private citizen. They know people sells guns privately to each other without back ground checks. I have for many years since I was a teenager some 50 years ago.
And there's the problem they will never solve. But... it's one small area they want to close up.
And I cannot say I agree with closing that loophole.
Personally I hate going through an FFL because they are biased against me for some reason, I have no idea why. If it's because of my last name or what. I've been put on hold 20 times but never been denied a gun through an FFL.
So why do they keep doing it?
To get tax money in the way of a CCW license?
Could be my stupid cousin in Phlly with near the same exact first and last name and a wrap sheet as long as my arm because he works for gangsters.
Still they know I am here and he is there. They are aholes.
Wolf, a Democrat, called for Pennsylvania legislators to remove the background check loophole that allows shotguns, sporting rifles and semiautomatic rifles to be sold at gun shows without a background check.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

tonguengroover wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 11:32 pm
sikacz wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:52 pm That’s a bunch of BS. There’s not one FFL that I know that sells guns without a background check at gun shows. This is simply a dog whistle to go after private sales regardless of where they take place.
Pretty sure thats what they are talking about ie gun show loophole. Private sellers at guns shows, not FFL's. We have both at guns shows here.
That isn’t a loophole. Private sales were intentionally left out, and I can’t see overturning that idea just to catch a few private sellers in or out of a gun show. If my niece wants to buy one of my guns I should be able to sell it to her without an FFL.
Pretty sure he means no guns sold at shows without a back ground check whether or not your an FFL or private citizen. They know people sells guns privately to each other without back ground checks. I have for many years since I was a teenager some 50 years ago.
And there's the problem they will never solve. But... it's one small area they want to close up.
Personally I hate going through an FFL because they are biased against me for some reason, I have no idea why. If it's because of my last name or what. I've been put on hold 20 times but never been denied a gun through an FFL.
Could be my stupid cousin in Phlly with near the same exact first and last name and a wrap sheet as long as my arm because he works for gangsters.
Wolf, a Democrat, called for Pennsylvania legislators to remove the background check loophole that allows shotguns, sporting rifles and semiautomatic rifles to be sold at gun shows without a background check.
If they mean a background check only if one participates in a gunshow, I wouldn’t have a problem with requiring a background check. Just have all sales at a gunshow go through a FFL. If they mean to require a background check for sales outside of gunshows and not initiated at gunshows I wouldn’t care for that.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

I want to retain the possibility of gifting or selling a gun to my wife or nieces. None have criminal records and I know they are not in any way impaired. The term “loophole” in gunshows is used in a way to attack all private sales or transfers. That I don’t care for.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

tonguengroover wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 11:32 pm

Do you put your SSN on the 4473? I'm 'guessing' you don't.

sikacz wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:28 am I want to retain the possibility of gifting or selling a gun to my wife or nieces. None have criminal records and I know they are not in any way impaired. The term “loophole” in gunshows is used in a way to attack all private sales or transfers. That I don’t care for.
Even in universal BGC Colorado, you can still sell or gift guns to a 'family member', which includes cousins and nieces and nephews. Same in your state?
Texas...so no problema now. Doubt texas will change and the feds certainly won't. No political will even if the majority of citizens thinks it's a good idea.

F4FEver wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 8:26 am
sikacz wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:28 am I want to retain the possibility of gifting or selling a gun to my wife or nieces. None have criminal records and I know they are not in any way impaired. The term “loophole” in gunshows is used in a way to attack all private sales or transfers. That I don’t care for.
Even in universal BGC Colorado, you can still sell or gift guns to a 'family member', which includes cousins and nieces and nephews. Same in your state?
Texas...so no problema now. Doubt texas will change and the feds certainly won't. No political will even if the majority of citizens thinks it's a good idea.
I’m not too worried about Texas. Federal one never knows, but increasingly unlikely considering the push the current administration has put on gun related issues. There will be push back and that’s not good for agenda I do support.