Hi from IL! (soon to be NC)

Howdy folks,

I did a fair amount of hunting with my Dad and Uncles as a kid (rifles and shotguns), and then got distracted by heavy metal and girls, before going to college and not being around firearms for a good 25 years or so. I recently took an intro pistol class (I had never fired a handgun before) and had a great time, and now find myself as a first time handgun owner and interested in getting back into shooting. I'm looking forward to getting in some range trips over the next month or so before I pack things up and head down to North Carolina for a new job this summer

I'm excited/relieved to find that such a thing as the liberal gun club exists!

Re: Hi from IL! (soon to be NC)

Hi hi hi!

I'll be moving to the Fayetteville/Lumberton/Laurinburg area - I grew up in the midwest (WI) and then was on the west coast (WA and CA) for~20 years, and this will be my first real foray into the south (some southerner friends have told me that I'll be in "the real south", as opposed to the only other part of NC I've visited before other than interviewing for the new job, the Asheville area). I'm anticipating some possible culture shock and an adjustment period, but overall very excited!

Just shooting a glock 19 currently, previous experience way-back-when was mostly with a browning side-by-side 12 gauge and a marlin model 60

Some basics you need to learn.

East Carolina BBQ and Western Carolina BBQ are not just different but mutually exclusive and sacred.

South Carolina BBQ is an abomination.

BBQ is pork.

Sides should be fried okra, turnip greens, coleslaw and vinegar.

Moon Pie is a food group. So is RC Cola.

Tea is sweet.

And iced.

And in large plastic glasses.

Pot plants may not be at all what you expected.

Y'all is singular.

All y'all is plural.

You do set a spell.

The outer banks are wonderful but you can't get there from here.

Up the road aways can mean Maine.

Down the road aways could mean Florida.

Y'hear means you shudda paid attention.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

ericam wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 12:42 am Hi hi hi!

I'll be moving to the Fayetteville/Lumberton/Laurinburg area - I grew up in the midwest (WI) and then was on the west coast (WA and CA) for~20 years, and this will be my first real foray into the south (some southerner friends have told me that I'll be in "the real south", as opposed to the only other part of NC I've visited before other than interviewing for the new job, the Asheville area). I'm anticipating some possible culture shock and an adjustment period, but overall very excited!

Just shooting a glock 19 currently, previous experience way-back-when was mostly with a browning side-by-side 12 gauge and a marlin model 60
LOL! I lived in Central NC back in the late '70' and early 80's and it's a Southern thing to say that anyone North of you "isn't the REAL South!"
Virginians said it about Maryland.
Tarheels said it about Virginians
South Carolinians said it about North Carolinians.
I expect they say the same in Georgia and Florida!

Back then, I knew a woman from Lumberton--sounded like a really dreary place, to be honest. I never visited that part of NC, myself.

Welcome aboard!
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 2:55 pm

LOL! I lived in Central NC back in the late '70' and early 80's and it's a Southern thing to say that anyone North of you "isn't the REAL South!"

Back then, I knew a woman from Lumberton--sounded like a really dreary place, to be honest. I never visited that part of NC, myself.

Welcome aboard!
yeah, Lumberton seems like the most popular place for Tarheels to tell people not to go to/move to. Before this position, all I knew about it was that it was where Micheal Jordan's father was killed. It's unfortunately a fairly impoverished part of the state. I'm moving for a teaching position, and teaching marginalized/underserved populations is my thing/the kind of teaching that I find the most fulfilling, so some of that "comes with the job". I grew up in rural/small town Wisconsin but have lived in large cities for the past ~20 years or so, and there's some lovely surrounding countryside in the area (pine woods and tobacco fields), which is also part of the appeal. Will definitely be an adventure!

I designed many of the early Cable Tv systems all over North Carolina back in the 1960s. Lumberton was one of them. But also Greensboro, half of Charlotte and Pilot Mountain/Mt Airy plus a herd of others.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

sig230 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 4:15 pm I designed many of the early Cable Tv systems all over North Carolina back in the 1960s. Lumberton was one of them. But also Greensboro, half of Charlotte and Pilot Mountain/Mt Airy plus a herd of others.
Mayberry? But I digress; welcome from SW WA.
"it's a goddamn impossible way of life"
"And so it goes"

ericam wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 4:05 pm
YankeeTarheel wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 2:55 pm

Welcome aboard!
yeah, Lumberton seems like the most popular place for Tarheels to tell people not to go to/move to. Before this position, all I knew about it was that it was where Micheal Jordan's father was killed. It's unfortunately a fairly impoverished part of the state. I'm moving for a teaching position, and teaching marginalized/underserved populations is my thing/the kind of teaching that I find the most fulfilling, so some of that "comes with the job". I grew up in rural/small town Wisconsin but have lived in large cities for the past ~20 years or so, and there's some lovely surrounding countryside in the area (pine woods and tobacco fields), which is also part of the appeal. Will definitely be an adventure!
Wow! My hat's off to you. NC needs teachers like you in places like that!
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

geno wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 7:42 pm
sig230 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 4:15 pm I designed many of the early Cable Tv systems all over North Carolina back in the 1960s. Lumberton was one of them. But also Greensboro, half of Charlotte and Pilot Mountain/Mt Airy plus a herd of others.
No such place like Mayberry. Never was.
When you ride through small towns in NC and SC there's always a local yokel just LOOKING to see if you're going 20.1 mph in a 20 mph zone so he can fill the town coffers with a big speeding ticket. Lots of Klukker types in those towns, too. Some "Good ole boys" used to come up from Newton Grove to Chapel Hill to work on building houses and one had a giant cross tattooed on his forearm with "K-K-K" around it.

On the show they'd talk about going up to Siler City, which even today is a tiny town with only about 8,000 people. Ridden through it a couple of times.

YankeeTarheel wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 7:45 am Lots of Klukker types in those towns, too. Some "Good ole boys" used to come up from Newton Grove to Chapel Hill to work on building houses and one had a giant cross tattooed on his forearm with "K-K-K" around it.
oh yeah, that reminds me of the other "claim to fame"/bit of history that I had learned about the area before looking into this job - the local tribe (the Lumbee) stood up to the KKK in the late 50s; several hundred Lumbee took guns, surrounded a rally, and ran the klan out of town.

InRange tv did an episode about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfdJWw4mKbg

YankeeTarheel wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 7:45 am
geno wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 7:42 pm
No such place like Mayberry. Never was.
"it's a goddamn impossible way of life"
"And so it goes"
Attachments
it-was-a-joke-just-a-joke.gif
it-was-a-joke-just-a-joke.gif (16.5 KiB) Viewed 2114 times