Re: 2022 Midterm Elections

Still about 7 months until the midterm election and a lot of things can happen. Republicans still have the advantage in the generic poll but it's not a huge advantage.
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/po ... ic-ballot/

In spite of the gerrymandering by both parties, there are still 24-27 tossup seats that no one is making predictions about at this time. Those seats will determine who controls the House.
https://www.cookpolitical.com/ratings/h ... ce-ratings

I look forward to the J-6 hearings, but I'm not sure if they will change anything. Democratic and Republican politicians will spin the testimony along with left and right media outlets.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Something for afternoon reading on the back porch.
When the evidence of Trump’s intentions and actions is viewed through the lens of the cases the Department and the Select Committee are building–including evidence of the ties between the foot soldiers who led the Jan. 6 riots and Trump’s inner circle–and in the context of the cases the Department has already prosecuted against other Jan. 6 defendants, it looks formidable, not weak. And when it is examined in light of the Department’s Principles of Federal Prosecution, Attorney General Garland should have little choice but to conclude that the implications for democracy and the rule of law of not prosecuting Trump far outweigh the risks of a trial loss, which exist in every complex case.

In the discussion that follows, I explain the basis for this conclusion by focusing on a prosecution of Trump for obstructing an official proceeding in violation of 18 U.S.C. § 1512(c)(2), the charge DOJ has brought against more than 280 Jan. 6 defendants. (Note: other charges may be available against Trump, and he could (and likely would) be charged with conspiracy, which requires an agreement to commit a crime, or aiding and abetting, in connection with a substantive obstruction offense. For the sake of simplicity, the following analysis focuses on evidence that proves the substantive offense.). After explaining the elements of the charge, I address skepticism that Trump will be charged or convicted, and then explain why a prosecution of Trump is both winnable and necessary despite the known risks. I also discuss the long-standing DOJ standards that point directly toward prosecution in cases such as this one.
https://www.justsecurity.org/81597/pros ... -optimism/

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Hey! Good news!! Kurt Schrader, Oregon 5th...
- the clown bozo who called impeachment #2 "a lynching "
-the asswipe boyscout who shot down the feds medicare/medicade Rx$ negotiating authority
-the shitstain poor misunderstood rich white guy who pretty much single handedly killed off "living wage" standards on the federal level
-this miserable fuck misguided soul...
Appears to be loosing his attempt at another term. Appears that is, as the most populous county within his district had ballot issues. (We are entirely "vote by mail" here, have been for more than 2 decades...successfully. The ballots are mailed out a couple weeks prior to the election and then mailed back or dropped off.) The ballots have bar codes and those sent to democrats in crack-of-my-ass county (clackamas) had "Blurry" bar codes. Only those going to democrats had this problem.

The county clerk - a wrap herself in the flag trump wiped his ass with and giggle with rapturous delight while she makes happy with her fantasy - republican named Sherry Hall,
knew of the problem three or four weeks prior to the election, and, it's alleged she was aware of it even before that. Oregon's Secretary of State, and all of the bordering counties offered, well in advance of the election, to assist by providing people to help count...all of these ballots require hand counting because of this...but Sherry was too wrapped up in trumpiness to respond.

Sherry, you may recall, refused to issue marriage licenses to same sex couples when the supremes made it doable, but got into trouble for it. Then she refused to perform ceremonies for same sex couples until she got spanked for that as well ( her position also permits her to perform weddings)...so she just stopped performing all weddings.

So anyway, Kurt is going down, one ballot at a time, slowly. Last I looked, he was down about 10,000 votes.
Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. Maybe Sherry will share her flag. They can take turns with the spanking
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... ar-AAXxx44
Subliterate Buffooery of the right...
Literate Ignorance of the left...
We Are So Screwed

highdesert wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 10:00 pm
TrueTexan wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:58 pm In the Texas primary runoffs, we got screwed. Paxton beat George P. Bush about two to one votes for the Texas AG repug candidate.

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/05/2 ... ge-p-bush/
Dang, thought George P could unseat Paxton.
Texas wingers prefer indicted accused felons over a pipsqueak opportunist. Hopefully this ends the Bush "dynasty".

Cisneros gave Cuellar a run for his money. I'd hope a recount might push her over the line, but fear it won't.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Wino wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:31 am Cisneros gave Cuellar a run for his money. I'd hope a recount might push her over the line, but fear it won't.
It ain't the votes but rather who counts the votes. I fear no recount could upset Cuellar.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

Well here in AZ the Goopers are running on the wall excusively. Not really anything of substance, just the wall, finish the wall, put more troops on the border. Gawd

The one that pisses me off the most is Karrin Taylor Robson , a developer who built tens of thousands of homes off the back of illegal labor. Who now is OK with shuttering the border since they made bank.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

Republicans ‘botched the job’ of forging signatures — and it may cost them a major election: analysis

Half of the Republicans running for governor were caught in an election fraud scheme that could cost the GOP their best shots of winning one of the biggest races in the 2022 midterm elections. ...

"There was quite a bit of fraud, according to the Michigan Bureau of Elections. Some compromised petition sheets 'consisted entirely of invalid signatures.' Others showed evidence of being 'round-tabled,' the process in which a group of people takes turns signing names so the same handwriting isn’t repeated line after line. A few showed 'no evidence of normal wear' and misspellings of voters’ names, suggesting that whoever botched the job didn’t really put their full effort into trying to defraud the Wolverine State," Stieb explained.

Michigan estimated 68,000 phony signatures were submitted.
https://www.rawstory.com/gretchen-whitmer-reelection/

What happen did they think they were in Texas, where we don't have to wait on the second coming of Christ, because have more resurrections on election day than on Easter.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

David McCormick Concedes To Mehmet Oz In Pennsylvania GOP Senate Primary

HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) — Former hedge fund CEO David McCormick conceded the Republican primary in Pennsylvania for U.S. Senate to celebrity heart surgeon Dr. Mehmet Oz, ending his campaign Friday night as he acknowledged an ongoing statewide recount wouldn’t give him enough votes to make up the deficit.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/mehmet- ... a93899e8dc

Pennsylvania is now definitely the land of OZ. The only hope is the wizard will be exposed for what he really is.
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

TrueTexan wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:15 am
David McCormick Concedes To Mehmet Oz In Pennsylvania GOP Senate Primary

HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) — Former hedge fund CEO David McCormick conceded the Republican primary in Pennsylvania for U.S. Senate to celebrity heart surgeon Dr. Mehmet Oz, ending his campaign Friday night as he acknowledged an ongoing statewide recount wouldn’t give him enough votes to make up the deficit.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/mehmet- ... a93899e8dc

Pennsylvania is now definitely the land of OZ. The only hope is the wizard will be exposed for what he really is.
You do realize that bat shit crazy pols are very popular these days?? :mbounce:
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

An Arizona woman accused of illegally collecting early ballots in the 2020 primary election pleaded guilty Thursday in an agreement with state prosecutors that saw the more serious forgery and conspiracy charges dismissed and limited any potential for a lengthy prison sentence. Guillermina Fuentes, 66, could get probation for running what Arizona attorney general’s office investigators said was a sophisticated operation using her status as a well-known Democratic operative in the border city of San Luis to persuade voters to let her gather and in some cases fill out their ballots.

Prosecutors were apparently unable to prove the most serious charges, dropping three felony counts alleging that Fuentes filled out one voter’s ballot and forged signatures on some of the four ballots she illegally returned for people who were not family members.
Fuentes and a second woman were indicted in December 2020 on one count of ballot abuse, a practice commonly known as “ballot harvesting” that was made illegal under a 2016 state law. The conspiracy, forgery and an additional ballot abuse charge against Fuentes were added last October. Fuentes said little during a change of plea hearing in southwestern Arizona’s Yuma County on Thursday, just acknowledging the judge’s questions with “yes” as he asked whether she had read and understood the plea agreement.
Attorney general’s office investigator William Kluth wrote in one report that there was some evidence suggesting Fuentes actively canvassed San Luis neighborhoods and collected ballots, in some cases paying for them. Collecting ballots in that manner was a common get-out-the-vote tactic used by both political parties before Arizona passed the 2016 law. Paying for ballots has never been legal. There’s no sign she or anyone else in Yuma County collected ballots in the general election, but investigators from the attorney general’s office are still active in the community.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... story.html

It's illegal to "harvest ballots" in AZ supported by a SCOTUS decision, but ballot harvesting is legal next door in CA.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

I live in the one blue (US House) district in a deep red state. During my adult lifetime, we at one time had two Democrat US Senators. Then it was split 1:1, and now it is two Republicans and likely to stay that way. We used to flip/flop the Governor's office every couple of terms between the two parties. Now it is consistently Republican.

I did not change opinions, but somehow the entire state around me did.

My one Congressman will continue to be a Democrat, my Senators will continue to be Republicans, as will my Governor, and my winner-take-all electoral votes in 2034.

For those few of you who live in locations or states where the outcome has not been pre-determined by those with the power to craft voting districts in such a way that "their side" will always win, I wish you the best of luck in have your vote actually mean something!

jc57 wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:34 pm I live in the one blue (US House) district in a deep red state. During my adult lifetime, we at one time had two Democrat US Senators. Then it was split 1:1, and now it is two Republicans and likely to stay that way. We used to flip/flop the Governor's office every couple of terms between the two parties. Now it is consistently Republican.

I did not change opinions, but somehow the entire state around me did.

My one Congressman will continue to be a Democrat, my Senators will continue to be Republicans, as will my Governor, and my winner-take-all electoral votes in 2034.

For those few of you who live in locations or states where the outcome has not been pre-determined by those with the power to craft voting districts in such a way that "their side" will always win, I wish you the best of luck in have your vote actually mean something!
Just wait till the Repugs gerrymander your district out of existence.

I remember CA when we had two Republican US senators and Republican governors, now it's just one party that dominates the state. One party rule of either party isn't good, we know they both gerrymander districts.

CA is still counting votes, counties have 30 days to count or recount ballots. Newsom will be on the November ballot along with his appointed AG. Republicans could win the State Controller's office, if they do it would be the first statewide office they've held since 2010.

San Francisco DA Chesa Bodin was recalled and removed, he was too progressive for probably the most progressive county in the US.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/chesa-boud ... -recalled/

Lauren Boebert faces fraud probe after claiming she drove farther than Earth's circumference on campaign trail

Rep. Lauren Boebert (R-CO) is under investigation for possible fraud.

The first-term Colorado Republican allegedly inflated her mileage totals in 2020 and then used more than $20,000 in campaign reimbursements to pay off years worth of tax liens on her restaurant, and state officials confirmed the matter had been forwarded to an interagency group for investigation, reported the New York Times.
The allegations against Boebert were first reported in February 2021, claiming that Boebert had cashed two checks from her campaign totaling $22,259 for mileage reimbursement, but that figure worked out to 38,712 miles -- which is significantly further than the planet's 24,901-mile circumference.
Boebert's campaign later amended the mileage reimbursement to include travel expenses and hotel rooms, but the new filing still shows $17,280 in mileage reimbursements.
https://www.rawstory.com/lauren-boebert-fraud/

Don't pay your taxes suck money from your campaign, Who does she think she is, TOT?

FBI Arrests Ryan Kelley, Republican Candidate For Governor Of Michigan

Federal agents on Thursday arrested Ryan Kelley, a Michigan Republican vying for the party’s gubernatorial nomination, and charged him with participating in the Jan. 6, 2021, riot at the U.S. Capitol.

FBI spokeswoman Mara Schneider told The Associated Press Kelley was arrested in western Michigan and will have a court hearing in Grand Rapids.

He faces four charges related to his activity at the Capitol, NBC News reports, including disorderly conduct and willfully injuring or attacking U.S. property.
More here: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/ryan-ke ... 69ca87f81e

Well the race for Michigan Governor was already a disaster after other Repug candidates were found to have forged signatures on their petitions.

Lock them all up.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... b8b9f950e2
Biden is not terribly interested in those issues, though. Both he and the Democratic Party would prefer to retreat to the comfortable gun control and abortion talking points they pretend make a difference in elections. Biden can’t be bothered to address the issues that actually matter to voters because he can’t blame inflation or crime on Republicans. Better to drone on about a "women’s right to choose" or assault weapons while voters question their financial security or physical safety.
He's been ranting about guns the minute he stepped into the office. From my perspective he's steering the party in the wrong direction. As th opinion piece said both party and biden are out of touch.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.