Re: 2022 Midterm Elections

If the Dems were smart they would blame the inflation on the Russians attacking the Ukraine, disrupting the world’s trade, and the Repugs not fully supporting the Ukraine’s fight for freedom. Blame Putin and the wealthy oligarchy that are supporting the Repugs.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Ylatkit wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:26 pm
sig230 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:04 pm
highdesert wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:53 pm It's far more likely that they abolish a two party system.
How do you abolish something that isn't written down?
The same way it has been done in the past. Simply outlaw all parties but one.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

sig230 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:53 pm
Ylatkit wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:26 pm
sig230 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:04 pm
highdesert wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:53 pm It's far more likely that they abolish a two party system.
How do you abolish something that isn't written down?
The same way it has been done in the past. Simply outlaw all parties but one.
I didn't say that, sig230 said it.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

TrueTexan wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:44 pm If the Dems were smart they would blame the inflation on the Russians attacking the Ukraine, disrupting the world’s trade, and the Repugs not fully supporting the Ukraine’s fight for freedom. Blame Putin and the wealthy oligarchy that are supporting the Repugs.
Well Biden tried to say that and even NBC news called it out as a lie. Even the non-hostile media is now pointing out the problem. Gas prices and inflation were a problem before the invasion of Ukraine. I am willing to gamble that Democrats will face historic losses in Congress. This might be the only thing that saves the Democratic Party for 2024.
EAT,SLEEP,RANGE,REPEAT

The dems pardon the phrase, need to have a “come to jesus “ moment. Meaning, they need to start rebuilding that big tent and not be ruled by a small faction of their constituents. I won’t concentrate on all the sectors they have alienated, but since this is a gun forum, left and democratic gun owners are one.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Prominent Election Denier Adam Laxalt Wins Nevada GOP Senate Primary

Adam Laxalt, a Donald Trump-endorsed “Big Lie” purveyor, cruised to victory in the Nevada GOP Senate primary on Tuesday.

Laxalt, who easily beat Army veteran Sam Brown for the Republican nomination, is hoping to unseat incumbent Sen. Catherine Cortez Masto, one of the most vulnerable Senate Democrats this cycle. A GOP pickup in Nevada would severely endanger Democratic control of the Senate next year.

Since the 2020 election, Laxalt has emerged as a champion of Trump’s election fraud lies, especially among Republican senate hopefuls. A former Nevada attorney general who served as Trump’s campaign co-chair, Laxalt filed several lawsuits on behalf of Trump allies seeking to overturn President Joe Biden’s victory.
More about the race here. https://www.huffpost.com/entry/adam-lax ... 43c84f5aff

Even supporting the Big Lie, he has the support of MoscowMitch, who will do anything, including sleep with the devil, to regain control of the Senate.
Last edited by TrueTexan on Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

sikacz wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:46 am More bad news for dems....
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... 1b37da6961
Elon Musk is out saying he voted for Mayra Flores.

The old "Big Tents" that each party led have changed. Democrats lost the white working class voters and gained millionaires and billionaires, the only totally loyal sector are Black Americans, but blacks from the Caribbean and Africa aren't the same. Latinos aren't a monolith, there are Puerto Ricans, Cuban-Americans, Mexican-Americans, Central Americans and Spanish and Portuguese speakers in South America and they are all different. It's like saying every white person that speaks English is the same.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:26 am
sikacz wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:46 am More bad news for dems....
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... 1b37da6961
Elon Musk is out saying he voted for Mayra Flores.

The old "Big Tents" that each party led have changed. Democrats lost the white working class voters and gained millionaires and billionaires, the only totally loyal sector are Black Americans, but blacks from the Caribbean and Africa aren't the same. Latinos aren't a monolith, there are Puerto Ricans, Cuban-Americans, Mexican-Americans, Central Americans and Spanish and Portuguese speakers in South America and they are all different. It's like saying every white person that speaks English is the same.
But to the white MAGA TOT supporter they all look alike.

Convicted ‘Cowboys for Trump’ founder threatening to throw out 7,123 primary votes in New Mexico

Otero County is once again facing an election scandal as the Republican-controlled county commission is threatening to throw out over 7,000 votes by refusing to certify the results of the June 7 primary.

"Democratic Secretary of State Maggie Toulouse Oliver on Tuesday asked the state Supreme Court to order the three-member Otero County commission to certify June 7 primary election results to ensure voters are not disenfranchised and that political candidates have access to the general election ballot in November," the Associated Press reported Tuesday. "On Monday, the commission in its role as a county canvassing board voted unanimously against certifying the results of the primary without raising specific concerns about discrepancies, over the objection of the county clerk."
https://www.rawstory.com/couy-griffin-2657510403/

One member of the county commission is Cowboys for Trump co-founder Couy Griffin, who believes the claims that Trump won the 2020 election. He was also convicted of illegally entering restricted U.S. Capitol grounds, but not the building on Jan.6 and will be sentenced later this month.

The problem we are having with all this mess, is it just takes a minority of MAGAots to ruin the whole election or Congress to vote for the people etc.

Less than 24 hours after the GOP flipped a congressional district in South Texas, several Latino Democrats cornered their campaign chief on the House floor with a fervent plea: It’s time for the party to make a crucial course correction. Republicans blew up more than a century of almost uninterrupted Democratic control in that region Tuesday night, earning a special election win in a heavily Latino border district they had rarely even contested since its creation in 2012 — but where the GOP has made rapid gains in the last few years.
“I hope the DCCC learns their lesson with this before it happens across the country,” said Democratic Rep. Vicente Gonzalez, who due to redistricting will face GOP Rep.-elect Mayra Flores this fall in a redrawn district.
“They have just forgotten about the brown people on the border,” Gonzalez continued. “And that’s basically what it is. I’m not going to try to sugarcoat it anymore. They are taking Latinos in South Texas for granted.”
Republicans concede the district will become harder in the fall. But they are thrilled to have Flores as a strong ambassador for the GOP’s values in new territory. “You have a spokesperson who happens to be Hispanic, female and from the Valley,” said Rep. Jodey Arrington (R-Texas), who joined Flores to campaign. “I can go down and I can have the same message,” he said. “But I think it is much more powerful and much more palatable and attractive, and some people who would tune me out will give her just enough time.”
https://www.politico.com/news/2022/06/1 ... s-00040057

Democrats flip districts and Republicans flip district, that's the way politics works. The trend was there in 2016 and 2020.

highdesert wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:28 am
Less than 24 hours after the GOP flipped a congressional district in South Texas, several Latino Democrats cornered their campaign chief on the House floor with a fervent plea: It’s time for the party to make a crucial course correction. Republicans blew up more than a century of almost uninterrupted Democratic control in that region Tuesday night, earning a special election win in a heavily Latino border district they had rarely even contested since its creation in 2012 — but where the GOP has made rapid gains in the last few years.
“I hope the DCCC learns their lesson with this before it happens across the country,” said Democratic Rep. Vicente Gonzalez, who due to redistricting will face GOP Rep.-elect Mayra Flores this fall in a redrawn district.
“They have just forgotten about the brown people on the border,” Gonzalez continued. “And that’s basically what it is. I’m not going to try to sugarcoat it anymore. They are taking Latinos in South Texas for granted.”
Republicans concede the district will become harder in the fall. But they are thrilled to have Flores as a strong ambassador for the GOP’s values in new territory. “You have a spokesperson who happens to be Hispanic, female and from the Valley,” said Rep. Jodey Arrington (R-Texas), who joined Flores to campaign. “I can go down and I can have the same message,” he said. “But I think it is much more powerful and much more palatable and attractive, and some people who would tune me out will give her just enough time.”
https://www.politico.com/news/2022/06/1 ... s-00040057

Democrats flip districts and Republicans flip district, that's the way politics works. The trend was there in 2016 and 2020.
True enough, but it is a bit of a canary in the coal mine situation. Time to figure out how to get the tent back up, its collapsed.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

This district won't even exist come next election due to redistricting/census/gerrymandering out of existence. This is just to fill the seat until next election. No canary in coal mine and nothing to get knickers in a knot. She has to win in new district or go home. I expect she will go home.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

In other midterm news.
DeSantis draws huge cash haul from Trump donors

DeSantis has attracted the attention of some of the nation’s wealthiest Republican donors, including many who were key financiers of Trump’s reelection bid or backers of high profile Republican candidates and causes, according to POLITICO analysis of campaign finance data.
Though many donors are focused on November, when the governor is up for reelection, DeSantis’ fundraising signals that he is both a viable 2024 candidate who may not need the former president’s backing and one who is sapping some financial support from Trump.
https://www.politico.com/news/2022/06/1 ... s-00040659

DeSatan vs. DeTurd, Is this a harbinger of things to come in 2024?

I think many things will change after the J6 hearings and after the DOJ drops a few indictments. We have two choices: punish and risk short term chaos and eventual equilibrium, or death of democracy.

Living in interesting times requires beer, among other things.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Wino wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:15 am This district won't even exist come next election due to redistricting/census/gerrymandering out of existence. This is just to fill the seat until next election. No canary in coal mine and nothing to get knickers in a knot. She has to win in new district or go home. I expect she will go home.
The point is she won in a district the democrats had held for ever. That is a canary.

It was almost ignored in the press yesterday, but this racist fascist SCOTUS did it again:
Lower Courts had ruled that Louisiana's districting was illegal, since the state is 1/3 Black, has 6 Reps, and SOMEHOW, the districting had 5 White and only 1 Black district. So a new map was drawn so there would be 2 Black majority districts, representing the state's ethnicity.

In yet another BLATANT example of the illegitimacy of the Roberts Court, the 6 fascists voted to overturn the lower courts and go back to 5 White and 1 Black majority districts, because those 5 are all GQP,
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Scott Pruitt, Trump’s Disgraced Former EPA Chief, Gets Crushed In Senate Primary

Despite a history of winning statewide contests and a star turn in the Trump administration, former Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Scott Pruitt badly lost his bid for a political comeback in his home state on Tuesday, coming in a distant fifth place in the Republican primary to replace retiring Sen. James Inhofe
trailed in polls ahead of the primary, which resulted in a runoff between U.S. Rep. Markwayne Mullin and former state lawmaker T.W. Shannon.

But that Pruitt failed to net more than a single-digit percentage of the primary ballots was a rather stunning fall for a candidate who previously won statewide office and enjoyed more national media coverage than most other contenders in the race.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/scott-pr ... fb670d97d1

He will just go to work as an oil lobbyist.

538 is out with their 2022 Election Forecast. It's a point in time prediction because it involves a lot of data that's being constantly updated. Nate Silver and his team are predicting that Republicans will take the Senate and the House. They also have predictions on governors races.
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/20 ... -forecast/