Boulder Colorado City Council to reinstate, expand AWB, restrict home-builds, open carry

1
Lawmakers prepare to roll out new gun laws after anniversary of King Soopers shooting
Boulder City Councilmember Rachel Friend said the city is getting ready to reinstate its ban on assault-style weapons. The rule was struck down by a judge just days before the shooting last year. In response, the state legislature passed a new law to let cities and towns pass their own gun regulations.
“So we're looking at open carry and ghost guns and waiting periods (for gun purchases) and carrying in sensitive areas such as museums and city buildings and places like that,” she said.

Friend said Boulder is also looking to work regionally. The city is in talks with other cities and towns along the Front Range to try and pass regulations at the same time.
Seems as if Colorado is pretty much a lost cause at this point.

Re: Boulder Colorado City Council to reinstate, expand AWB, restrict home-builds, open carry

3
DispositionMatrix wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:29 pm Lawmakers prepare to roll out new gun laws after anniversary of King Soopers shooting
Boulder City Councilmember Rachel Friend said the city is getting ready to reinstate its ban on assault-style weapons. The rule was struck down by a judge just days before the shooting last year. In response, the state legislature passed a new law to let cities and towns pass their own gun regulations.
“So we're looking at open carry and ghost guns and waiting periods (for gun purchases) and carrying in sensitive areas such as museums and city buildings and places like that,” she said.

Friend said Boulder is also looking to work regionally. The city is in talks with other cities and towns along the Front Range to try and pass regulations at the same time.
Seems as if Colorado is pretty much a lost cause at this point.
Big sigh...'COLORADO' is a lost cause because of what Boulder City Council 'may' do?
Righto..you assign way more 'power' to the people's republic than is warranted.

Open carry is legal(albeit dumb) in Boulder, Not in Denver. Waiting period in Boulder to buy a gun? At the ONE gun store? Travel 20 minutes outside Boulder and buy a gun...w/o a waiting period.
Ghost guns? A non issue in Boulder. Build the thing at your neighbor's in Broomfield. My son just finished his..nice...

You DO know Boulder City Council passed an ordinance making Boulder a 'nuclear free zone'...so..I wouldn't get to sweated up about this and condemn all of Colorado...

BTW-I live in Boulder, have for almost 30 years.

Re: Boulder Colorado City Council to reinstate, expand AWB, restrict home-builds, open carry

4
It’s not the whole state, but it sets a tone and it potentially criminalizes people for possessing guns that are legal. How many of us vote for dems in local elections and support them because we expect them to address the social issues and inequalities in our communities better than the republicans or other parties. I know I do. I wonder how many thought, yes I’ll support the dems because the one issue I really want them to address and do is to make me a felon. I doubt very many. Come on dems, there’s better ways and better issues to resolve.
Image
Image

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Re: Boulder Colorado City Council to reinstate, expand AWB, restrict home-builds, open carry

5
Boulder is the home of the flagship campus of the University of Colorado, a big liberal college town. And since November 2021, CO allows local preemption of state firearms laws.
Colorado is now one of eight states that allow local governments to pass gun ordinances that are tighter than state restrictions.
Only California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Massachusetts, Nebraska, New Jersey and New York — and now Colorado — allow local governments to pass gun ordinances that are tighter than state restrictions. Some Democratic lawmakers in the other 42 states, frustrated by inaction, are considering whether to follow Colorado and overturn their preemption laws.
https://www.governing.com/community/col ... may-follow
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Re: Boulder Colorado City Council to reinstate, expand AWB, restrict home-builds, open carry

6
highdesert wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:17 am Boulder is the home of the flagship campus of the University of Colorado, a big liberal college town. And since November 2021, CO allows local preemption of state firearms laws.
Colorado is now one of eight states that allow local governments to pass gun ordinances that are tighter than state restrictions.
Only California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Massachusetts, Nebraska, New Jersey and New York — and now Colorado — allow local governments to pass gun ordinances that are tighter than state restrictions. Some Democratic lawmakers in the other 42 states, frustrated by inaction, are considering whether to follow Colorado and overturn their preemption laws.
https://www.governing.com/community/col ... may-follow
All true but my comment was about how something done in The People's Republic of Boulder means the entire state is somehow 'lost'. Open carry, ghost guns and ARs...may very well apply to the "35 square miles surrounded by reality" but not 10 minutes down the road...
Seems as if Colorado is pretty much a lost cause at this point.

Re: Boulder Colorado City Council to reinstate, expand AWB, restrict home-builds, open carry

7
I suspect the reference is not just because of Boulder. Just like many other states in the bloomie network Colorado doesn’t seem to find any gun related restriction or ban an infringement. That’s certainly just my perception, but that is the perception I’ve gathered from the news which seems to just love bans and restrictions. It would go along way to change my opinion if the Colorado legislature rejected a gun bill or the governor refused sign one. To my recollection that has yet to happen. I could have missed one of those instances, likely because the media would never emphasize it since it doesn’t play with their “evil gun” narrative.
Image
Image

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Re: Boulder Colorado City Council to reinstate, expand AWB, restrict home-builds, open carry

8
sikacz wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:47 am I suspect the reference is not just because of Boulder. Just like many other states in the bloomie network Colorado doesn’t seem to find any gun related restriction or ban an infringement. That’s certainly just my perception, but that is the perception I’ve gathered from the news which seems to just love bans and restrictions. It would go along way to change my opinion if the Colorado legislature rejected a gun bill or the governor refused sign one. To my recollection that has yet to happen. I could have missed one of those instances, likely because the media would never emphasize it since it doesn’t play with their “evil gun” narrative.
I guess but being 'on the ground' here in Colorado..for me, my family and more than a few people who buy, sell, trade and use lotsa guns...We see NO bloomie network at work that effects us or any of the many gun owners in Colorado. In fact, gun ownership in Colorado is w/i a few tenths of a percent of many so called 'red' states, like Texas...

https://worldpopulationreview.com/state ... p-by-state
So, I guess easy to say the 'sky is falling' in Colorado..and the state is 'lost' but around this little very blue burg, it's not any issue.

OBTW-Violent crime in Houston is 50.7(of 100=Very High) and Denver is 30.7..national average is 22.7...Red, non bloomie state vs Blue, 'bloomie state(your term)

https://www.bestplaces.net/compare-citi ... r_co/crime

Re: Boulder Colorado City Council to reinstate, expand AWB, restrict home-builds, open carry

9
F4FEver wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:16 am
DispositionMatrix wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:29 pm Lawmakers prepare to roll out new gun laws after anniversary of King Soopers shooting
Boulder City Councilmember Rachel Friend said the city is getting ready to reinstate its ban on assault-style weapons. The rule was struck down by a judge just days before the shooting last year. In response, the state legislature passed a new law to let cities and towns pass their own gun regulations.
“So we're looking at open carry and ghost guns and waiting periods (for gun purchases) and carrying in sensitive areas such as museums and city buildings and places like that,” she said.

Friend said Boulder is also looking to work regionally. The city is in talks with other cities and towns along the Front Range to try and pass regulations at the same time.
Seems as if Colorado is pretty much a lost cause at this point.
Big sigh...'COLORADO' is a lost cause because of what Boulder City Council 'may' do?
Righto..you assign way more 'power' to the people's republic than is warranted.

Open carry is legal(albeit dumb) in Boulder, Not in Denver. Waiting period in Boulder to buy a gun? At the ONE gun store? Travel 20 minutes outside Boulder and buy a gun...w/o a waiting period.
Ghost guns? A non issue in Boulder. Build the thing at your neighbor's in Broomfield. My son just finished his..nice...

You DO know Boulder City Council passed an ordinance making Boulder a 'nuclear free zone'...so..I wouldn't get to sweated up about this and condemn all of Colorado...

BTW-I live in Boulder, have for almost 30 years.
Colorado already passed a ban on standard-capacity mags. The state recently passed a law doing away with preemption specifically due to firearm prohibitionists not being able to prevail in maintaining bans at the municipal level. The city of Boulder will goad other municipalities into adopting local bans, which likely will turn the state into a patchwork of firearm ban Utopias for the fearful. It won't happen overnight, but the mechanism is in place to _effectively_ throw up significant barriers to the ownership of centerfire semi-automatic carbines within the state. Lost cause.

Also, the idea it's a "non issue" that one cannot build a firearm in one's home because one can build at someone else's house in another town is ludicrous.

Re: Boulder Colorado City Council to reinstate, expand AWB, restrict home-builds, open carry

10
DispositionMatrix wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:49 am
F4FEver wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:16 am
DispositionMatrix wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:29 pm Lawmakers prepare to roll out new gun laws after anniversary of King Soopers shooting
Boulder City Councilmember Rachel Friend said the city is getting ready to reinstate its ban on assault-style weapons. The rule was struck down by a judge just days before the shooting last year. In response, the state legislature passed a new law to let cities and towns pass their own gun regulations.
“So we're looking at open carry and ghost guns and waiting periods (for gun purchases) and carrying in sensitive areas such as museums and city buildings and places like that,” she said.

Friend said Boulder is also looking to work regionally. The city is in talks with other cities and towns along the Front Range to try and pass regulations at the same time.
Seems as if Colorado is pretty much a lost cause at this point.
Big sigh...'COLORADO' is a lost cause because of what Boulder City Council 'may' do?
Righto..you assign way more 'power' to the people's republic than is warranted.

Open carry is legal(albeit dumb) in Boulder, Not in Denver. Waiting period in Boulder to buy a gun? At the ONE gun store? Travel 20 minutes outside Boulder and buy a gun...w/o a waiting period.
Ghost guns? A non issue in Boulder. Build the thing at your neighbor's in Broomfield. My son just finished his..nice...

You DO know Boulder City Council passed an ordinance making Boulder a 'nuclear free zone'...so..I wouldn't get to sweated up about this and condemn all of Colorado...

BTW-I live in Boulder, have for almost 30 years.
Colorado already passed a ban on standard-capacity mags. The state recently passed a law doing away with preemption specifically due to firearm prohibitionists not being able to prevail in maintaining bans at the municipal level. The city of Boulder will goad other municipalities into adopting local bans, which likely will turn the state into a patchwork of firearm ban Utopias for the fearful. It won't happen overnight, but the mechanism is in place to _effectively_ throw up significant barriers to the ownership of centerfire semi-automatic carbines within the state. Lost cause.

Also, the idea it's a "non issue" that one cannot build a firearm in one's home because one can build at someone else's house in another town is ludicrous.
Not sure what 'standard capacity' means but you can go into just about ANY LGS, even the one in Boulder and buy any mag ya want..32R Glock mag? They have 'em.
You ever been to Colorado? I can think of only one place that 'may' follow Boulder in just about anything..Aspen. From Ft Collins to south of Denver and further south, most all make it their job to NOT be 'like Boulder'...
Name that 'mechanism that is in place', please that will not allow ownership of centerfire semi carbines. That's sure news to me. Son just bought a mini-14 and Ruger PCC. The mini from the Boulder GS.

Re: Boulder Colorado City Council to reinstate, expand AWB, restrict home-builds, open carry

11
Colorado

The Centennial State doesn’t allow more than 15 rounds. It is illegal to sell, transfer or possess a “high-capacity” magazine (defined as greater than 15 rounds for firearms other than shotguns) unless the individual owned the large-capacity magazine on July 1, 2013, and maintained continuous possession of the large-capacity magazine. The City of Boulder has Ordinance 5-8-2, which makes any ammunition-feeding device with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds illegal.
https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/m ... have-them/
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Re: Boulder Colorado City Council to reinstate, expand AWB, restrict home-builds, open carry

12
highdesert wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:17 am
Colorado

The Centennial State doesn’t allow more than 15 rounds. It is illegal to sell, transfer or possess a “high-capacity” magazine (defined as greater than 15 rounds for firearms other than shotguns) unless the individual owned the large-capacity magazine on July 1, 2013, and maintained continuous possession of the large-capacity magazine. The City of Boulder has Ordinance 5-8-2, which makes any ammunition-feeding device with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds illegal.
https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/m ... have-them/
I know, I was being facetious....'defined' and that Boulder ordinance has been overturned...BUT...want a 17R Glock mag? Go buy it, almost anywhere.
https://www.denverpost.com/2021/03/18/b ... -ban-order.

Re: Boulder Colorado City Council to reinstate, expand AWB, restrict home-builds, open carry

15
tonguengroover wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:38 am
sig230 wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:08 am How many 15 round shotguns are out there? Don't most states set a three shell limit on shotguns for hunting migratory birds?
Thats just for when hunting. If your out you better have that plug in the tube.
It's only illegal if you get caught ! LOL My old Win pump (1960's era) has a wooden dowel rod in tube that prevents more than thee shells by about a 1/64'. Have been checked by game wardens several times over the years - they all thought they had me when they ran their flex rubber rod to check - each time had to prove there was no way a fourth would fit. Often wondered why Win didn't add another 3/64" to dowel rod length as back then doubt cost was a factor.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Re: Boulder Colorado City Council to reinstate, expand AWB, restrict home-builds, open carry

16
In another thread I mentioned that as the gun violence increases, eventually the people will get tired of it (just like they did in the old west), and start dialing things back. This is a prime example. The citizens are fine with you carrying a gun under your shirt. But when you're open carrying a handgun, or even worse, a rifle...that's starting to look a lot like the old west again; and we all know how that ended. This is a prime example of what I was talking about.

Rifles out in the open as political pressure, and dipshits walking the streets with a Glock on their hip; the citizenry doesn't dig that, and you can't be surprised when they start creating laws to dial that behavior back.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

Re: Boulder Colorado City Council to reinstate, expand AWB, restrict home-builds, open carry

17
Looks like they passed last night.
  • Banned possession of frightening semi-automatc carbines, standard-capacity magazines, triggers they don't like.
  • Banned purchase of firearms by those under 21.
  • Banned carry in patchwork of public places.
  • Banned open carry in public.
  • Banned the possession of unfinished/home-built frames/receivers without serial numbers.
  • Imposed requirement FFLs post signs at transfer locations.

Re: Boulder Colorado City Council to reinstate, expand AWB, restrict home-builds, open carry

19
tonguengroover wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:56 pm Well what do you expect from a well to do hippie town. lol
I say let cities do gun control like back in the ole west. Take Tombstone for instance and many others where you had to check your pistols at the sheriffs office.
They’d have fun trying to round up all the guns in Houston.
Image
Image

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Re: Boulder Colorado City Council to reinstate, expand AWB, restrict home-builds, open carry

20
DispositionMatrix wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:31 am Looks like they passed last night.
  • Banned possession of frightening semi-automatc carbines, standard-capacity magazines, triggers they don't like.
  • Banned purchase of firearms by those under 21.
  • Banned carry in patchwork of public places.
  • Banned open carry in public.
  • Banned the possession of unfinished/home-built frames/receivers without serial numbers.
  • Imposed requirement FFLs post signs at transfer locations.
One gun store in Boulder..'transfer locations'...just means people will go outside boulder city limits for just about everything 'gun', like they do now(including me).
As for 'possession'...not sure how they 'police' that since nobody knows who has what in city of Boulder.

Re: Boulder Colorado City Council to reinstate, expand AWB, restrict home-builds, open carry

22
They defined them as semi auto rifles with detachable magazines. But ONLY if they have a pistol grip, etc. I guess they are going to stop mass shootings by making them slightly less comfortable to shoot. I wonder if they are next going to ban padded rifle slings. They claim that it's because pistol grips make it easier to shoot and hit something with rapid fire. Yeah, if you're actually aiming at a target 50+ yards away. If you're just spraying at a crowd right in front of you, not caring who, what, or where you hit, it just gives you a SLIGHTLY better grip. Let's start the countdown for when Bushmaster introduces the AR-17 or whatever, with the same rate of fire and ammo capacity, but without a pistol grip. That's what they did in the 90s. They at least TRIED to improve the previous definition.

Re: Boulder Colorado City Council to reinstate, expand AWB, restrict home-builds, open carry

24
rascally wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:32 pm But why wait? Just get a Ruger Mini-14 or a FightlLite SCR carbine...if you can find one in stock somewhere.
That's one reason I have the Mini-14 Ranch Rifle. I won't go into the other reasons, because I don't want to start a war with the AR-15 fanatics.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Re: Boulder Colorado City Council to reinstate, expand AWB, restrict home-builds, open carry

25
TrueTexan wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:21 pm
rascally wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:32 pm But why wait? Just get a Ruger Mini-14 or a FightlLite SCR carbine...if you can find one in stock somewhere.
That's one reason I have the Mini-14 Ranch Rifle. I won't go into the other reasons, because I don't want to start a war with the AR-15 fanatics.
I'd have an 14 but the prices are nuts on those.
My Name is Ernesto Inigo Juan Montoya and I approve this message.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CDFingers and 0 guests

cron