Supreme Court marshal asks Md. leaders to enforce anti-picketing laws

The Supreme Court’s chief security officer has penned letters requesting that top Maryland officials direct police to enforce laws “that squarely prohibit picketing at the homes of Supreme Court Justices” following weeks of protests outside their houses in Montgomery County.

In two separate letters reviewed by The Washington Post, one addressed to Gov. Larry Hogan (R) and another to Montgomery County Executive Marc Elrich (D), Supreme Court Marshal Gail Curley says protests and “threatening activity” has increased since May at justices’ homes in Maryland.
The Montgomery County Police Department website says on its homepage: “The Montgomery County Department of Police is committed to preserving the first amendment rights of all individuals wishing to participate in peaceful, lawful, protest and assembly,” and links to a list of protest laws “to assist in educating the community,” including those cited in the Supreme Court marshal’s letters.

“Peaceful, lawful protest and assembly is a cornerstone of our democracy,” the document on the county police website reads.
Full story at:https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va ... ing-homes/

What the protesters are doing doesn't sound threatening just a nuisance and it is short lived in time.
When we have the Right wing bozo's protesting and bodily threatening people at homes, businesses, and government facilities and that is okay. Then I say what's good for the goose is good for the gander.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Re: Supreme Court marshal asks Md. leaders to enforce anti-picketing laws

Yup, fuck those supremes.

Top election officials in Yavapai County leave amid threats
PHOENIX — The elected county recorder and the elections director in Arizona's Yavapai County are resigning after more than a year and a half of threats and heated criticism from backers of former President Donald Trump who accept his lie that he lost the 2020 election because of fraud.

County Recorder Leslie Hoffman said Friday that she is fed up with the “nastiness” and has accepted a job outside the county. Her last day will be July 25. She said longtime elections director Lynn Constabile is leaving for the same reason, and Friday is her last day.

“A lot of it is the nastiness that we have dealt with,” Hoffman said. “I’m a Republican recorder living in a Republican county where the candidate that they wanted to win won by 2-to-1 in this county and still getting grief, and so is my staff."

“I’m not sure what they think that we did wrong," she said. “And they’re very nasty. The accusations and the threats are nasty.”
https://www.12news.com/article/news/pol ... d304d2846f

I just volunteered for Pima County in case people leave.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

tonguengroover wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:50 pm Yup, fuck those supremes.

PHOENIX — The elected county recorder and the elections director in Arizona's Yavapai County are resigning after more than a year and a half of threats and heated criticism from backers of former President Donald Trump who accept his lie that he lost the 2020 election because of fraud.

County Recorder Leslie Hoffman said Friday that she is fed up with the “nastiness” and has accepted a job outside the county. Her last day will be July 25. She said longtime elections director Lynn Constabile is leaving for the same reason, and Friday is her last day.

“A lot of it is the nastiness that we have dealt with,” Hoffman said. “I’m a Republican recorder living in a Republican county where the candidate that they wanted to win won by 2-to-1 in this county and still getting grief, and so is my staff."

“I’m not sure what they think that we did wrong," she said. “And they’re very nasty. The accusations and the threats are nasty.”

Prescott is a beautiful and wealthy area. I had relatives who moved there many years ago and the Republicans there were batshit crazy at that time. No doubt much worse now in the Trump era.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:20 pm
tonguengroover wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:50 pm Yup, fuck those supremes.

Prescott is a beautiful and wealthy area. I had relatives who moved there many years ago and the Republicans there were batshit crazy at that time. No doubt much worse now in the Trump era.
My sis and brother in law still have a house there. Raised kids there but they all live in SF or Sonoma County. Prescott has be severely gentrified an invaded by Californians and prices follow accordingly.

Not sure theres lots of repugnants there.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

I started out giggling at the obvious fascist undertones to this.

May their robes fray in unflattering ways.

By the way, the latest meme is "The election was not stolen. The Supreme Court was."
More than any of the cascade of ostentatiously hard-right decisions this term—more even than its Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization repudiation of a half-century old constitutional right to abortion—this decision confirms clues from prior terms: that the overriding priority of this Court is augmenting its own power. Chief Justice John Roberts’ opinion for the Court fairly flaunts his intention to claim the role of final arbiter of substantially any major battle it chooses to pluck from the nation’s policy or political agendas.

Justice Elena Kagan’s dissent, it reaffirms—that, on global warming-related matters, these ultra-conservative justices’ modus operandi has “from the beginning” been to “obstruct” EPA, and to conform national policy to the agendas of their Republican patrons and sponsors, and the megadonors who fund those sponsors who, lest we forget, funded the campaigns that secured these justices’ nominations and confirmations. Forget the text or purpose of relevant law, fidelity to traditional conservative “textualist” pretensions, or even the interests of relevant big businesses, in this case the electric power industry, which strongly supported EPA’s climate strategy.

However edgy these conclusions may seem to those who lionized the status quo ante, they are compelled by three undeniable—and undenied—aspects of this decision to gut the nation’s enacted program to address global warming.

--snrp--

The challengers faced a problem: The rule didn’t actually exist. President Donald Trump had rescinded his predecessor’s regulation, a move itself challenged in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit, by environmental groups and allied state governments. Then, after Joe Biden succeeded Trump in 2021, EPA’s new management announced that it would not resuscitate Obama’s rule. Instead, it would devise a new program. In effect, EPA opponents asked the Supreme Court to dictate in advance legal restrictions for a new regime as yet undisclosed.

https://newrepublic.com/article/166983/ ... power-grab

The Court was stolen by oily money.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Back to topic. People have a right to assemble and protest against the Dobb's decision at SCOTUS or justices' homes, like people have a right to protest at abortion clinics or at Trump rallies or at SCOTUS over the Bruen decision or over the murder of George Floyd... Free speech, freedom of religion, freedom of the press and freedom to bear arms are freedoms enjoyed by everyone not just the few.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:10 am Back to topic. People have a right to assemble and protest against the Dobb's decision at SCOTUS or justices' homes, like people have a right to protest at abortion clinics or at Trump rallies or at SCOTUS over the Bruen decision or over the murder of George Floyd... Free speech, freedom of religion, freedom of the press and freedom to bear arms are freedoms enjoyed by everyone not just the few.
I agree. But there are those in powerful positions that think they are more special than the other animals. These justices, that are complaining, would be the first to say it is okay for people to protest in front of the White House under the First Amendment, especially since a Democrat is president.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

sig230 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:00 am The issue is protest at someone's home versus place of work.

Protest at One First St. NE vs an individuals home.
Bernard Slepian, an abortion doctor, was shot through the window of his house in front of his family. I hope those wretched judges never get a single night's good sleep for the rest of their miserable lives.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

sikacz wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:53 am If you’re a public servant the public street in front of your home is fair game. If you don’t like it, resign.
Exactly, members of the legislative and executive branches already hear from the public at work and at their homes, so members of the judicial branch shouldn't be exempt. Maybe we should start picketing 9th Circuit judges homes over rulings we don't like.

highdesert wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:16 pm
sikacz wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:53 am If you’re a public servant the public street in front of your home is fair game. If you don’t like it, resign.
Exactly, members of the legislative and executive branches already hear from the public at work and at their homes, so members of the judicial branch shouldn't be exempt. Maybe we should start picketing 9th Circuit judges homes over rulings we don't like.
Exactly. Stay on the public easement and they shouldn’t have anything to say about it. Walking back and forth in front of a house is simply exercise.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.