Re: pocket pistol recoil

76
UncleJon wrote:
INVICTVS138 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:38 am I could see something like a Beretta tomcat working for me if I become more recoil sensitive & have a grip strength reduction over time.
They are blowback and said to be quite snappy.
Ah ok.

I’ve been keeping my eyes peeled for a Beretta 81, but they’ve been out of production for awhile & it looks like all the surplus is dried up. A cheetah - That’s getting past the upper limit of what I’d consider a “pocket gun.” For weight and bulk I don’t want anything past about 15-16 oz and JFrame sized. That’s about the smallest gun I can manipulate & shoot with any sort of accuracy.

The Tomcat is still in production. I like the “tip-up” barrel functionality; and I’m fine with the recoil now. Plus that some of them come threaded is a bonus - however, it’s not like you can use the fixed sights with a suppressor on those, but I’m sure super quiet.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: pocket pistol recoil

77
INVICTVS138 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 8:35 am
UncleJon wrote:
INVICTVS138 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:38 am I could see something like a Beretta tomcat working for me if I become more recoil sensitive & have a grip strength reduction over time.
They are blowback and said to be quite snappy.
Ah ok.

I’ve been keeping my eyes peeled for a Beretta 81, but they’ve been out of production for awhile & it looks like all the surplus is dried up. A cheetah - That’s getting past the upper limit of what I’d consider a “pocket gun.” For weight and bulk I don’t want anything past about 15-16 oz and JFrame sized. That’s about the smallest gun I can manipulate & shoot with any sort of accuracy.

The Tomcat is still in production. I like the “tip-up” barrel functionality; and I’m fine with the recoil now. Plus that some of them come threaded is a bonus - however, it’s not like you can use the fixed sights with a suppressor on those, but I’m sure super quiet.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm a fan of the 32acp round for my self-defense carry and so have more 32acp handguns than all of the 9mm variations, luger, coto, makarov, combined.

Today my primary carry is my Beretta 'New Puma' model 70. It's an early version and has the cross bolt safety. It's far more manageable and soft shooting than my Tomcat and smaller and lighter than my model 81. It's a single action carried cocked & locked, crisp trigger, reasonably easy to rack, single stack so 8+1.
70-03-small.gif
In my Alessi pocket holster:
70-04-small.gif
and my High Noon Holster pocket holster:
70-09small.gif
Last edited by sig230 on Thu May 19, 2022 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
Stories coming to you from Deep South Texas!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!

Re: pocket pistol recoil

79
I have a Beretta 3032 Tomcat in the aluminum frame which they no longer make. They still make the stainless steel frame tomcat and it's expensive, but quality. I have a Galco IWB holster for the Tomcat and with an over the pants shirt, I can wear it during hot weather. Any small pistol is snappy.

Guns are like automobiles, there are many makes and models available in Europe that are not sold in the US, due to all those federal gun laws.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Re: pocket pistol recoil

80
sig230 wrote:
INVICTVS138 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 8:35 am
UncleJon wrote:
INVICTVS138 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:38 am I could see something like a Beretta tomcat working for me if I become more recoil sensitive & have a grip strength reduction over time.
They are blowback and said to be quite snappy.
Ah ok.

I’ve been keeping my eyes peeled for a Beretta 81, but they’ve been out of production for awhile & it looks like all the surplus is dried up. A cheetah - That’s getting past the upper limit of what I’d consider a “pocket gun.” For weight and bulk I don’t want anything past about 15-16 oz and JFrame sized. That’s about the smallest gun I can manipulate & shoot with any sort of accuracy.

The Tomcat is still in production. I like the “tip-up” barrel functionality; and I’m fine with the recoil now. Plus that some of them come threaded is a bonus - however, it’s not like you can use the fixed sights with a suppressor on those, but I’m sure super quiet.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm a fan of the 32acp round for my self-defense carry and so have more 32acp handguns than all of the 9mm variations, luger, coto, makarov, combined.

Today my primary carry is my Beretta 'New Puma' model 70. It's an early version and has the cross bolt safety. It's far more manageable and soft shooting than my Tomcat and smaller and lighter than my model 81. It's a single action carried cocked & locked, crisp trigger, reasonably easy to rack, single stack so 8+1.
70-03-small.gif
In my Alessi pocket holster:
70-04-small.gif
and my High Noon Holster pocket holster:
70-09small.gif
Yeah, that’s a beauty - perfect sized too. Much more elegant lines than my Zastava.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: pocket pistol recoil

81
highdesert wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:48 am Guns are like automobiles, there are many makes and models available in Europe that are not sold in the US, due to all those federal gun laws.
Yeah I occasionally see a picture online of some newer European pocket pistol that I wish I could at least look at in a store. The import ban was ridiculous.

Re: pocket pistol recoil

82
Shot the Smith Bodyguard 380 again recently, my hand says no, it’s not enjoyable, going to sell it. I’d have to start reloading and make lower power rounds for it.
My Ruger LCP II 22lr is quite reliable, it’s the one.
But, I’d like to see Keltec shrink and slim down their P32 for 25acp and add a manual safety, that could be the ultimate tiny ultra light pocket pistol. 25acp being almost dead means it won’t happen though.

Re: pocket pistol recoil

83
UncleJon wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:36 pm Shot the Smith Bodyguard 380 again recently, my hand says no, it’s not enjoyable, going to sell it. I’d have to start reloading and make lower power rounds for it.
My Ruger LCP II 22lr is quite reliable, it’s the one.
But, I’d like to see Keltec shrink and slim down their P32 for 25acp and add a manual safety, that could be the ultimate tiny ultra light pocket pistol. 25acp being almost dead means it won’t happen though.
Fortunately there are lots of 25acp/6.35mm handguns out there still. One I often carry is my FN Vest Pocket but there are many others from Colt, Beretta, Taurus, Astra, Bernardelli, Walther. The little FN has a manual safety as well as the grip safety.
18-small.jpg
1906-01small.jpg
To be vintage it must be older than me!
Stories coming to you from Deep South Texas!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!

Re: pocket pistol recoil

84
sig230 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:51 pm Fortunately there are lots of 25acp/6.35mm handguns out there still. One I often carry is my FN Vest Pocket but there are many others from Colt, Beretta, Taurus, Astra, Bernardelli, Walther. The little FN has a manual safety as well as the grip safety.

18-small.jpg

1906-01small.jpg
I’ve went a ways down the 25acp researching rabbit hole but at this point I don’t really remember what I read about these. Are they real shooters or do springs wear out quickly etc? Are replacement firing pins easy to get? Okay I’m gonna read up on these again, you got me excited.

Re: pocket pistol recoil

85
I've had one firing pin break and it was on my Colt version of the FN Vestpocket. New firing pin was easy to get but it did need some hand fitting to get it to work with the sear. But the first firing pin lasted over a century so I didn't complain too loudly.

Beretta made a tip up barrel of the 20 series in 25acp and Taurus also made a tip up version of its little guns.

And there is also the 32acp/7.65mm pistols and 38S&W Long revolvers that are soft shooting and very controllable.

BUT, before you dump the Bodyguard, may I suggest trying two things?

First, get a Hogue grip sleeve for the BG.

Second, by a box of Inceptor 360 ARX ammo from Midway. Supper light frangible bullet that is faster than most 380s with lower recoil and a flatter trajectory.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
Stories coming to you from Deep South Texas!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!

Re: pocket pistol recoil

87
sig230 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:54 pm I've had one firing pin break and it was on my Colt version of the FN Vestpocket. New firing pin was easy to get but it did need some hand fitting to get it to work with the sear. But the first firing pin lasted over a century so I didn't complain too loudly.

Beretta made a tip up barrel of the 20 series in 25acp and Taurus also made a tip up version of its little guns.

And there is also the 32acp/7.65mm pistols and 38S&W Long revolvers that are soft shooting and very controllable.

BUT, before you dump the Bodyguard, may I suggest trying two things?

First, get a Hogue grip sleeve for the BG.

Second, by a box of Inceptor 360 ARX ammo from Midway. Supper light frangible bullet that is faster than most 380s with lower recoil and a flatter trajectory.
I briefly owned a Taurus PT ply 22lr, a bit thick and taller than I’d like for pocket carry but nice. Recently sold my 327 LCR, used to shoot 32 wadcutters in it, very soft shooting but will still penetrate, not a pocket gun though.
I have a Hogue grip sleeve on my Bodyguard. I’ll look at the ARX grain weight and velocity to get a rough idea of what the recoil would feel like relative to what I’ve shot in it so far.
Last edited by UncleJon on Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: pocket pistol recoil

90
sig230 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:51 pm Fortunately there are lots of 25acp/6.35mm handguns out there still. One I often carry is my FN Vest Pocket but there are many others from Colt, Beretta, Taurus, Astra, Bernardelli, Walther. The little FN has a manual safety as well as the grip safety.

18-small.jpg

1906-01small.jpg
I read up on the FN vest pocket/1908 Colt, I think it’s a great design and very safe for carry however it seems to be generally agreed upon to not be drop safe and I think that is very important for a gun one might have to use in a fight situation.

Re: pocket pistol recoil

91
UncleJon wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:42 pm
sig230 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:51 pm Fortunately there are lots of 25acp/6.35mm handguns out there still. One I often carry is my FN Vest Pocket but there are many others from Colt, Beretta, Taurus, Astra, Bernardelli, Walther. The little FN has a manual safety as well as the grip safety.

18-small.jpg

1906-01small.jpg
I read up on the FN vest pocket/1908 Colt, I think it’s a great design and very safe for carry however it seems to be generally agreed upon to not be drop safe and I think that is very important for a gun one might have to use in a fight situation.
Once you drop a gun in a fight situation it is totally immaterial whether it is drop safe or not.

You can as mentioned above look at the 25acp offerings from Taurus and Beretta but as also mentioned, there are 32acp handguns available that are still small and pocketable and more powerful yet still controllable.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
Stories coming to you from Deep South Texas!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!

Re: pocket pistol recoil

93
sig230 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:01 pm Once you drop a gun in a fight situation it is totally immaterial whether it is drop safe or not.

You can as mentioned above look at the 25acp offerings from Taurus and Beretta but as also mentioned, there are 32acp handguns available that are still small and pocketable and more powerful yet still controllable.
You are responsible for every bullet that comes out of the gun while it is in your possession. Beyond that if it hits the ground for whatever reason and goes off the bullet could hurt or kill you or someone in the community.

I’ve been thinking about giving the Keltec P-32 another try with a Hogue grip sleeve but without true double action or a manual safety I would probably want to increase the trigger pull up to 8 or 9 lbs to feel comfortable carrying it if my hand approved of the recoil, being under 7 ounces they are somewhat snappy. Would any gunsmiths even agree to attempt to replace the spring or springs required to increase the trigger pull or would they dismiss me as a “FUD” liberal gun control loon?

Edit: looks like Hogue might not make their grip sleeve for the P32.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron